Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Oh, those japanese!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Oh, those japanese!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 09:47 PM
dgs
Boing!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, those japanese!

Anyone know why those sweet boutique japanese keirin track bikes (nagasawa, gan well pro, san rensho, etc.) have english decals, rather than japanese characters? Is it for the same reason that some americans have japanese character tattoos (i.e. it's exotic, so it looks "cool" *snicker*)? Just wondering...
Old 08-04-04, 10:18 PM
VÈÑÍ VÍÐÌ VÌÇÍ

Bikes: 71 Nishiki Olympic, 04 Santa Cruz Blur, 04 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Soma Rush (fixie), 04 Cannondale (fixie)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking of getting a tatoo on the out side of my leg of something
in japanese but how would I know what it said.............Then all I could think
of was walking by some japanese peeps and all of em busting out laughing and
telling me that my kewl tatoo reads "Three Eggrolls For A Dollar".

Good Day - VÈÑÍ VÍÐÌ VÌÇÍ
Old 08-04-04, 11:12 PM
roadfix
hello

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by VÈÑÍ VÍÐÌ VÌÇÍ
Then all I could think
of was walking by some japanese peeps and all of em busting out laughing and
telling me that my kewl tatoo reads "Three Eggrolls For A Dollar"
Actually that would be Chinese, not Japanese...
Old 08-05-04, 04:14 AM
Oni
Wannabe Msgr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Actually that would be Chinese, not Japanese...
Not necessarily. Japanese use kanji too.
Old 08-05-04, 04:57 AM
shaharidan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i saw a story on the news last year where a japanese tatoo artist was doing just that, i think he was in detroit but i'm not sure. people would come in and ask for something in japanese, and instead of writing what they wanted he would put stuff like "i love to eat big macs" and some of the stuff he wrote on them was fairly offensive. a few people were suing him.
Old 08-05-04, 06:37 AM
Lasalles

Bikes: Lemond AlpeDeHuez(2004 Chorus),Felt FS850(full XT),Soon Felt TK2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could get a tatoo on the outside of ur calf like Jamie Staff except that on most people his tatoo would wrap all the way round your lower leg HAHA.
Old 08-05-04, 06:46 AM
Slacker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like tattoos, but I think writing something in a foreign language (that has nothing to do with your faith or ethnicity) is ridiculous. That's a line between "expression" and "image" - and your grandkids are going to know you were a trend-chasing tool.
Old 08-05-04, 07:39 AM
dgs
Boing!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slacker
I like tattoos, but I think writing something in a foreign language (that has nothing to do with your faith or ethnicity) is ridiculous.
I completely concur.
Old 08-05-04, 08:25 AM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgs
Anyone know why those sweet boutique japanese keirin track bikes (nagasawa, gan well pro, san rensho, etc.) have english decals, rather than japanese characters? Is it for the same reason that some americans have japanese character tattoos (i.e. it's exotic, so it looks "cool" *snicker*)? Just wondering...
Just a guess, but the japanese use english characters all the time. Most of them know english, too. I think it's to show that it's a 'bastard' word, not something that belongs in proper japanese...

Could be wrong though. I know pretty much nothing about keirin racing.
Old 08-05-04, 08:33 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
From a design standpoint, Americans maintaining a small obsession with Kanji is no worse than the Japanese doing the same with the alphabet. Visually, we like Kanji because it's different. The Japanese currently have an infatuation with the alphabet. Heck, Koreans currently dig Japanese Kana. And again, this is from the standpoint of graphic design.

In the end, while I don't necessarily have any problem with people getting Kanji tattoos and the like, what I do have a problem with is people getting them without having any idea what they really say. I'm against any tattoo that lacks significant meaning for the person on the receiving end. If you get inked with something and you don't even know what it says in another language for sure, well then hell that's just stupid.
Old 08-05-04, 08:36 AM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been thinking of getting a 14t cog tatooed on either my right shoulder or the back of my neck...

Don't think anyone could mis-interpret that (but some of the people I work with probably would.)
Old 08-05-04, 08:45 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
There's *always* a way to misinterpret a tattoo. That said, sometimes a tattoo can function as a handy idiot-finder.
Old 08-05-04, 08:49 AM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
Heck, Koreans currently dig Japanese Kana. And again, this is from the standpoint of graphic design.
and that will always be from a graphic design standpoint - Japanese and Koreans are like gas and water...a lot of pride issues stemming from inter-country abuses. But that is their debate/struggle, not mine. I bring it up since I lived in Seoul for a year and heard about it daily. Animosity towards the Japanese was very prevalent when I was there. Anyways...
Like Japanese styles? Hesitant to get something in script? Here is my left arm (the right one in progress):

Last edited by pitboss; 08-31-04 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 08:58 AM
lrschum
Lean&MeanorPuny&Petulant?

Bikes: ~'88 miele, fetish SS, trek 8500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know how people go and get those Chinese or Japanese characters that mean "strength" or "power" or "determination" (usually w/ a barbed-wire one on the other arm)?

I've often thought of countering this trend w/ a tattoo that means "noodle" in either language. I would also intentionally not flex my arm when I showed it off.

A coy giggle would finish my "who the f*** cares" image

Leslie
Old 08-05-04, 09:02 AM
fiksdforlife

Bikes: 04 Bianchi Pista, Kona Cinder Cone (non-suspension retrogrouch)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea, i'm korean and i i hate the japanese ; ) seriously, japan is one of the coolest, hippest places i've ever been (up there w/ berlin, and of course nyc). as for english script, it's used worldwide. look at cars, appliances, electronics, etc. you don't see "sony" in japanese, "elantra" in korean, "boxster" in german translation, the list goes on. just the way it is as marketing is american.
Old 08-05-04, 11:21 AM
g_taco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From a design standpoint, Americans maintaining a small obsession with Kanji is no worse than the Japanese doing the same with the alphabet. Visually, we like Kanji because it's different. The Japanese currently have an infatuation with the alphabet. Heck, Koreans currently dig Japanese Kana. And again, this is from the standpoint of graphic design.

In the end, while I don't necessarily have any problem with people getting Kanji tattoos and the like, what I do have a problem with is people getting them without having any idea what they really say. I'm against any tattoo that lacks significant meaning for the person on the receiving end. If you get inked with something and you don't even know what it says in another language for sure, well then hell that's just stupid.
Why? Can't you just think of it as a graphic art, even if the tattoo means nothing? Maybe it just looks good to the person. Why does it has to 'mean' anything. Does all art we admire mean something? I think not. Art evokes certain feelings, and that is why we like art. Tattoo is art, and the chinese/korean/japanese characters do not have to mean anything profound! These pictorial characters are beutiful the way they are.

Last edited by g_taco; 08-05-04 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 11:31 AM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I think you're right. Asian calligraphy, whether Japanese, Chinese or Tibetan can be visually stunning.

I've got no tattoos, but I do have a Seattle Mariners baseball cap I got last year at Kanji baseball night.
It has two Japanese characters on it which translated literally mean "Wildball" their word for baseball.
Next to my TDF hat, it's my favorite.
Old 08-05-04, 11:32 AM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by Oni
Not necessarily. Japanese use kanji too.
Obviously....but my comment was directed at "Three Eggrolls For A Dollar"
Old 08-05-04, 11:44 AM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by [165]
Anyways...
Like Japanese styles? Hesitant to get something in script? Here is my left arm (the right one will be started by end of august):
That's beautiful work....
But on the other hand, if I saw you in the Kansai region of Japan with those graphics, I can't help but assume you are a member of the Yakuza...
Old 08-05-04, 11:52 AM
absntr
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [165]
Like Japanese styles? Hesitant to get something in script? Here is my left arm (the right one will be started by end of august):
Very nice. I'm quite fond of japanese koi.

Here's one of my favourite pieces - designer Joshua Davis of https://www.praystation.com - that back is killer. On his right forearm, is the Mayan alphabet. Also real nice.
Old 08-05-04, 12:08 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Fixer
That's beautiful work....
But on the other hand, if I saw you in the Kansai region of Japan with those graphics, I can't help but assume you are a member of the Yakuza...
LOL
Thanks for the compliment regarding the work. Korea was interesting in the Mok Yok Tang (bath houses) - there were times people asked if I was Yakuza. With red hair, big sideburns, and my opalescent skin tone I was suprised that my non-Yakuza status was questioned!
Old 08-05-04, 02:11 PM
harryhood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like 3rensho had English written logos:
https://www.yellowjersey.org/3rdecal.html

AND Kanji logos:
https://www.yellowjersey.org/kanji.html