Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

sell me on your helmet

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

sell me on your helmet

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 09:32 PM
dijos
Walks with a limp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sell me on your helmet

I am finally buying a helmet. I am posting here because people ride all kinds of crazy helmets here.
I'm looking for a semi-low profile, hopeully brightly colored, well-ventilated (100 degrees here for 7 months it seems), fits my big head, and a visor. Oh, and kind of cheap. I was looking at the bell citi because it seemed to meet all my needs. but, am I overlooking something?
Old 11-13-07, 09:39 PM
JohnnyDoyle
Post-modern sleaze

Bikes: Fuji fixed, Browning fixed, MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this one: https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=33603

It's $100, but it was the most comfortable helmet I tried on. Really good ventilation, and very adjustable. I guess last year's top-end ($170) model is on sale for $85: https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=25769

I wouldn't buy one without trying it on though.
Old 11-13-07, 09:42 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Giro Pnumo that I like a great deal. It is very well ventilated.
Old 11-13-07, 09:47 PM
euphoria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
buy my kona ironman. no one else has it and I've only spilled like twice with it on.
Old 11-13-07, 09:51 PM
crushkilldstroy
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by euphoria
buy my kona ironman. no one else has it and I've only spilled like twice with it on.
Hilarious!

I've got a Bell Metro with all of the tack on bits and goodies. It's totally Fred and I love it.
Old 11-13-07, 09:58 PM
colintdesign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, bell citi is a good choice. I have the shiny black one and I like it lots. Looks pretty slick for a bicycle helmet. Well ventilated, light and solid, and cheap!
Old 11-13-07, 10:07 PM
chase.
out of shape

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love my bern brentwood, but i wouldn't call it well-ventilated enough for florida summers. they make a model (macon) with an integral visor, but it doesn't seem to have any vents. other than the ventilation issue, it's very low profile, lightweight, and has an included snap-in winter liner to keep your ears toasty. you can get a winter liner with a brim, also.
Old 11-13-07, 10:17 PM
EivlEvo
Look at all these buttons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a GIRO Havoc MTB helmet. Used it for 4 MTB racing seasons. Took the visor off to race road for 3 seasons.

Almost died while wearing it in a serious MTB crash.

Have been hit by a car 4 times while wearing it.

Don't lecture me on why I should get a new one either.

I highly recommend GIRO. However the best helmet is the one that fits your head properly and comfortably.
Old 11-13-07, 10:30 PM
Ingleside
MARGINALS

Bikes: 09 Tarmac Pro SL / Sunday BMX /

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EivlEvo
However the best helmet is the one that fits your head properly and comfortably.
Word.
I demoed a Giro Atmos and the new Specialized mega dollar helmet and they both fit like crap. my reps kept on trying to sell me on them but if they dont fit, they dont fit. the medium was too small length wise and i could fit two fingers on the side of the large.
I would try a bunch on until you find the one that fits.
Old 11-13-07, 11:10 PM
Landgolier
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buy cheap helmets, they weigh paperclips more than the $150 ones, and the ventilation is pretty much the same as long as it's not a skate bucket or commuter shell.
Old 11-13-07, 11:40 PM
dueL_
NYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyDoyle
I wouldn't buy one without trying it on though.
Yep...some helmets are made for round heads and some for oval heads.
Old 11-13-07, 11:58 PM
EivlEvo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a cheap helmet is definitely ill advised.

When you look at the comparison between cheap helmets and "real helmets" and top of the line helmets, it comes down to FAR more than ventilation and weight. Higher end helmets will typically have an internal skeletal frame that the impact foam is built around. Cheap helmets use cheap impact foam won't have well functioning fit "tensioners" and sure as hell won't have any internal structure.

Its not the initial impact that kills you, its the secondary one. The more impact your helmet can resist, the safer you are.

Not only that but how much is your brain worth? How much did you spend on your education? Enough to justify spending $200 to have that extra insurance when you're staring into the headlights with no where to go?

~DC
Old 11-14-07, 12:46 AM
Landgolier
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When you look at the comparison between cheap helmets and "real helmets" and top of the line helmets, it comes down to FAR more than ventilation and weight. Higher end helmets will typically have an internal skeletal frame that the impact foam is built around. Cheap helmets use cheap impact foam won't have well functioning fit "tensioners" and sure as hell won't have any internal structure.

Its not the initial impact that kills you, its the secondary one. The more impact your helmet can resist, the safer you are.

Not only that but how much is your brain worth? How much did you spend on your education? Enough to justify spending $200 to have that extra insurance when you're staring into the headlights with no where to go?

~DC
When I say cheap I mean $30 or so, though Target has great helmets for less. So long as we're talking about a $30 Giro or whatever, none of what you say applies, and some of it is wrong.
Old 11-14-07, 08:19 AM
jdeane4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a $30 bell infuria? Well its crap. I took it to the LBS to replace it and the owner wanted to show me how cheap it was. Well he told be to stand on it. I did and immediately it broke to pieces. Then he pulled out his Bell Sweep R and stood on it, and it sustained the weight. I have to say that price does matter in more cases than one. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-14-07, 09:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a cheap $30 Bell (Solar same as Venture) helmet from Performance..which ended up costing me $27.xx after tax. I think they have "another" sale which gave me the 15% off. I don't think it matters how much you spend on your helmet, since they have to be certified and be CPSC approved anyhow.
Old 11-14-07, 01:19 PM
casserol3
awesome member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

~DC

From what i've heard this is wrong. What i was told is that the higher end helmets in an attempt to lose weight, and add ventilation etc. takes away a small amount of safety. A $30 helmet is going to do just as a good a job of keeping you safe in a crash if not better, just because there is more foam and more substance to it. that is as long as it fits properly and is worn correctly.
Old 11-14-07, 01:35 PM
xylophonecks
i can has tarck?

Bikes: '07 BFSSFGIRO / '84 Trek 770

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By my understanding there are cheap helmets, and cheap helmets that cost more money. Somewhere in there you can find "real" helmets that are actually better... I'm just not sure which ones.
Old 11-14-07, 03:18 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Nutcase helmets are the awesomest.

https://www.nutcasehelmets.com/multisport.html
Old 11-14-07, 03:40 PM
fatbat
spinspinspinspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
~DC
I think cheap helmets have become a lot better over the last few years, as manufacturing has improved. A $30 giro helmet these days is in-mold constructed, has the same head retention system as the high end ones, and is only down a little ventilation and weight.
The foam itself is the same material. Foam is the cheapest part of the helmet.

I think the fancy skeleton in the expensive helmets is more about adding ventilation without compromising the protection, rather than improving protection.

As some other poster said, the best helmet is the one which fits, and which you will wear.
Try it on, cinch it down, then try to pull it up off your head, or roll it off. Beyond that, if you'll wear a lightweight road helmet, get that. If you'll wear a bmx helmet with a funky design, get that.

I personally like the giro xen- no silly flanges or protrusions, and you can get it in an eye-catching white/acid green color combo.
Old 11-14-07, 04:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those Nutcase helmets are cool-
Old 11-14-07, 04:42 PM
EivlEvo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you guys post up that Im wrong... I wanna know why.

I completely agree with you regarding the fact that all helmets in the US have to meet a requirement. But that's also a minimum requirement. Similarly compared to car accident testing. One vehicle may "meet the minimum standard" but it won't be getting a 5 star rating, or whatever bs they want us to believe.

But if you don't believe me, go and look at the differences between the helmets. Look at the difference between the cheap GIRO and the top end one.

I know when I bought my GIRO Havoc it was actually LIGHTER than the top model in the MTB line (both MTB helmets) So I was thinking to myself, this one is $99 and the top one is $149 and they both fit the same? So I was like whatever. But mine was missing some of the "technology" Mine is like an 01 so I won't compare what mine has cuz Im sure the new one is far superior now.

But Im not getting what you guys are telling me Im "wrong" about.

1. Higher end helmets provide more features to enhance safety?
2. That cheap helmets use cheap materials?
3. Or that the secondary impact is the one that most likely will ruin your day?
4. The best helmet is the one that fits you properly?
Old 11-14-07, 04:54 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) I have a Bell Solar and it's great. It's bright white and it fits VERY comfortably on on my huge gourd of a head (I have a 7 7/8 hat size). It's also between $30 and $40 depending on where you buy it.

2) I don't believe there are "minimums" with the testing systems for helmets, because either they work, or they don't.
Old 11-14-07, 05:32 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Limar 909 - Because it's well ventilated, fits low, and is a little Geiger-lookin'

I don't find visors that exciting. I wear a cap under my helmet about 8 months out of the year. The Giro Xen is a nice looking helmet if you're into the visor thing though.
Old 11-14-07, 05:57 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bell Citi is good. I'll sell you mine if you want.wore it about 10 times.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me

Last edited by rando; 11-14-07 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 06:21 PM
EivlEvo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtbnomore
1) I have a Bell Solar and it's great. It's bright white and it fits VERY comfortably on on my huge gourd of a head (I have a 7 7/8 hat size). It's also between $30 and $40 depending on where you buy it.

2) I don't believe there are "minimums" with the testing systems for helmets, because either they work, or they don't.
This doesn't say that I'm wrong... it simply states that you have a helmet that you paid ~$35 for and are happy with it.

Did you actually consider looking at any of the information you're arguing against before you shout out that I'm wrong?

It CLEARLY states on Bells website that your helmet has...
1. Fusion In-Mold Microshell
2. Ergo Dial
3. Cam Lock Levers
4. Pinch Guard buckle

While the Bell Sweep R has
1. Fusion In-Mold Microshell
2. Ergo Dial
3. Cam Lock Levers
4. Pinch Guard buckle
AS WELL AS
5. In mold bottom wrap
6. Clear GPS fit system
7. INTERNAL REINFORCEMENT
8. Channeled vents
9. Registered graphics

and again... as I've stated previously... just get one that fits you and has features you want and can justify the cost of having for crying out loud.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.