Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nokon Cable Housing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Nokon Cable Housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 02:19 PM
mike_khad1
Commuter Animal

Bikes: 2006 Burley Hudson, 2008 Specialized Globe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nokon Cable Housing

Does anyone have any experience with Nokon cable housing - I saw them on a Bike Friday recently. What are the advantages and disadvantages (other than the price).

https://www.nokon.com/NokonUSA_Home.htm
Old 11-14-07, 02:36 PM
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike_khad1
Does anyone have any experience with Nokon cable housing - I saw them on a Bike Friday recently. What are the advantages and disadvantages (other than the price).

https://www.nokon.com/NokonUSA_Home.htm
Lighter than standard housing. Looks cool. The frictionless action is better than regular housing. When it gets cruddy you only replace the inner liner so less crap in the landfill.
Old 11-14-07, 04:28 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
For brakes it's great. Light, shiny when new, works the same.

Nokon allegedly doesn't flex but there's something up with it and it doesn't act exactly like regular gear housing, I think because it doesn't have built in tension like a normal housing does. Plus they give you a cheater piece of (steel) housing that goes under your tape to your brake lever - you need to replace that with regular housing or use more Nokon pieces to fill the gap. The cheater piece is spiral wound and is not correct for a shifter cable housing.

A friend of mine was disgusted enough with his Nokon shifting performance that he gave all his Nokon stuff to me - enough to complete my two bikes with Nokon, even under the tape.

On a second Nokon bike I replaced the rear der housing from the lever to the frame with regular housing. The rest of it is Nokon. I couldn't get it to shift well. My primary bike (until a week ago) has all Nokon, no problems.

My Nokons got the aluminum white dusty bubbly corrosion and I rarely ride in rain, I don't sweat acid (my Cannondales never corroded like some other people's), and my bikes stayed parked in a dry basement.

I have a very small trunk in my car and the Nokons allow the cable enough flex for me to fit the bike in the car. Regular gear housing (Campy Ergo) split after a couple months of putting the bike in the same car - Nokons have been good for a couple years.

After all that I'll be buying some for my new bike.

Oh someone on this board had ceramic housing for sale (he was getting them manufactured or something). Not sure what happened with him. No corrosion would be a big plus.

cdr
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-14-07, 05:01 PM
greyghost_6
Pleasurable Pain

Bikes: Voodoo Rada, KHS Alite 4000, Smith & Wesson Tactical, Diamondback Response

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard that they can be a pain. Such as squeaking inbetween the aluminum links, so you have to lube them up to allow they to move around when you shift or break. To me this is more of a pain than just replacing the cable housing every year. If you need the weight savings, look elsewhere other than your housing.
Old 11-15-07, 08:59 AM
mike_khad1
Commuter Animal

Bikes: 2006 Burley Hudson, 2008 Specialized Globe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the feedback everyone