Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Front Light Poll: Bike Light Or Flashlight?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: What headlights do you run: bike light or flashlight?
Bike specific headlight
77.78%
flashlight
13.78%
other, please elaborate in your post.
8.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Front Light Poll: Bike Light Or Flashlight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 02:02 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I picked other... I have one of each.

Gonna build my own soon.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 11-24-07, 03:28 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DIY dynamo headlight and taillight. Blinkies front and rear as backup and additional be seen lighting. Headlight consists of a Luxeon 1-watt Star mounted LED, matching Fraen 10X20 elliptical lens and holder, and heat sink cut from scrap sheet copper. A 1-inch PVC pipe coupler is a perfect fit for housing the LED, heat sink, and optics. There's even room for the 470mF capacitor soldered to the LED power leads. An EMT conduit hanger and old blinkie clamp securely mounts it to the handlebar. Beam pattern is perfect for use on a bicycle, it's brighter than the 2.4-watt dynamo headlight that came in the kit, and unlimited run time.
Old 11-24-07, 08:50 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got a light system (Cygolite NiteRover) that I recently replaced with a Fenix L2D Premium flashlight. The Fenix is brighter than my Cygolite and weighs a small fraction as much. It also runs on just two AA NiMH batteries that are inexpensive and easy to recharge. I like the Fenix so much I might get another one to mount to my helmet.
Old 11-24-07, 09:11 PM
Cody Broken

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I must say I like the use of the word "torch" for flashlight. It is more appropriate. But onward...

Argument for Flashlight:
Not just a bike light. You can take it camping, in the car, pack it around in a holster on your belt. Handy around the house. Buying something that is more than a bike light helps justify monetary outlays to spouse.

Argument for bike light:
Possible to DIY on the cheap a system that throws jaw-dropping beams of light, like cars swerving off the road when you come at 'em.

Argument for DIY bike light or torch:
With the abundance of blogs and online tutorials by generous electronics wizards, and online retailers like DealExtreme it is possible to DIY extremely powerful lights.

n4zou - I dig that light. Great job man. Are you electronically knowledgeable?
Old 11-24-07, 09:25 PM
Matt1972
Fairweather Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a handlebar mounted Light and Motion Vega headlight and a PB Superflash blinkie.
Old 11-24-07, 11:51 PM
Cody Broken

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have been doing some serious led torch (flashlight) forum lurking and this was a stunner for me. This is beam shot and the guy said he was roughly 35 meters from that pool house.

Here is what was throwing that light, that he got for $45 including shipping.

Old 11-25-07, 10:31 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cody Broken

n4zou - I dig that light. Great job man. Are you electronically knowledgeable?
Yes. While active duty in the Navy I held two ratings, GSE and GSM.

https://usmilitary.about.com/library/...2/blgseatf.htm

https://usmilitary.about.com/library/...obs2/blgsm.htm

My ASVIB score was so high they offered to send me through both GSE and GSM advanced technical schools without the waiting period. I made First Class Petty officer (E-6) having only 4 years service time. In 1985 I had the choice of reenlisting and being promoted to Chief Petty Officer or accept a civilian technical position at the Anniston Army Depot with a substantial signing bonus. The Army was just starting to rebuild and service the Abrams M1 tank and needed people that could work on non-aircraft turbine engine systems. Needless to say I took the very generous offer from the Army. I retired 3 years ago at the age of 48 and now enjoy some well-deserved time off from constant travel and long hours of work.
https://www.anad.army.mil/

Here is the circuit I use with my LED headlight and taillight.

I added the USB connector so I could recharge the internal batteries in the GPS unit from the Ni-MH batteries and dynamo on my touring bike.
Old 11-25-07, 07:33 PM
ccd rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use both. 15 watt halogen bike light soon to be replaced by a Cygolite Dual Cross, and a spot 85 lumen led headlamp. I also have an amber flashing led with halogen be seen light for back up/supplement.
Old 11-25-07, 07:46 PM
ban guzzi
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Pelican HeadsUp 2680 headlamp ziptied to any of the bikes for a headlight and a a MiniMaglight LED strapped to my helmet. So far all good on totally dark MUPs, streets and general dark or foggy/hazy rides. Not the most elegant solution but I'm very happy with it. The only thing that would make it a bit better would be a headlight with a bit more spread to light the peripherals abit more.

edit: since it seems important, the Pelican puts out 33 lumen and 5000 LUX at 1watt with 4 AA. What ever. Its freaking bright and comes with a warning to not look into the light or point it at others...

Last edited by ban guzzi; 11-25-07 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-25-07, 10:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
Here's what happens when you really go stupid

3 MR16 20W lamps running at 14.4V. The bike lamps are 12 degree spots and the helmet lamp is a 7 degree spot (but will probably be replaced with a 12 in the future). They run off 6 7.2 V RC car batteries wired to make 3 packs of 14.4V each. Run time is around 2 hours...which is enough for my commute.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-26-07, 08:22 AM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
it's tough to beat a Fenix flashlight or 2 or 3. They run off AA's, bright as Dinotte - actually, as bright as ANY LED technology right now.

I run 2 P3D Premiums, 430lumes, $130. I had to get the rcr123a batts & charger, but a great setup. No battery mount hassles, no switch & wiring mount hassles, no theft worries. And cars think I'm a car.

cheers
Old 11-26-07, 11:01 AM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
Does it run on 1.2V AA NiMH rechargable batteries, or do you use standard 1.5V AA's?

I was concerned that my 80 lumen LED flashlight would not run properly on NiMH batteries, but it runs just the same as standard AA's.

Funny how as soon as you're buying something for your bike, the price goes way up. If you're going fishing or camping, the price is a lot less. It's what the market is willing to pay for the same thing.

The only drawback I noticed on the Fenix is that "turbo mode" (180 lumens) is not recommended for over 10 minutes of continuous use.

Oh, I used a 35W 12V homebuilt halogen for a long time, but out of weight/simplicity considerations I'm testing LED headlights/flashlights.

I run my Fenix LD2 Premium (175 Lumen) with rechargable NiMH AAs with great results. Haven't done a real world, time test yet, but I have used the same batteries without recharging for 2 days running. That's about a total of 3 hours ride time. I also run it in Turbo mode the whole time unless there is the sun is shining, which is pretty much non-existent for my commute in the winter.
Old 11-27-07, 12:38 AM
ban guzzi
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Here's what happens when you really go stupid

3 MR16 20W lamps running at 14.4V. The bike lamps are 12 degree spots and the helmet lamp is a 7 degree spot (but will probably be replaced with a 12 in the future). They run off 6 7.2 V RC car batteries wired to make 3 packs of 14.4V each. Run time is around 2 hours...which is enough for my commute.
holy shaMOOLEY!! I wonder if your the fella I run across on the Platte at about 5am...

and if I stand in front of you long enough will I get a tan?
Old 11-27-07, 01:56 AM
oilfreeandhappy

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good headlight is a must if travelling through the winter. You want to see that ice or snow before you bite the dust. I have a 5-Watt headlight, and I'd say that should be the minimum. I'll probably upsize to a 10-watter next go-around.
Old 11-27-07, 09:20 AM
JB01245

Bikes: www.amoebalight.blogspot.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using a flashlight on a bike is like bringing a knife to a gunfight!

Here is my set up. Over 1000 lumens helmet mounted.

Each light head / battery combo weighs 173 grams. 3 hours of runtime for each light head / battery combo .

Oh yeah, almost forgot, 400 lumens mounted on the bars.

Here is the link to the ongoing thread concerning these lights - Amoeba - the simplest "light" form
Old 11-27-07, 09:40 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by ban guzzi
holy shaMOOLEY!! I wonder if your the fella I run across on the Platte at about 5am...

and if I stand in front of you long enough will I get a tan?
Nah! More like radiation burns And I haven't been on the Platte in ages...much less at 5 am.

I did get flashed for high beams last night. First time ever! And I've never had weak lights. Guy was in a pickup and uphill from me. Cool!
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-27-07, 09:43 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by JB01245
Using a flashlight on a bike is like bringing a knife to a gunfight!
Flashlight = knife

Your light = small hand gun

My light = thermonuclear device

Old 11-27-07, 09:56 AM
Cody Broken

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acroy
it's tough to beat a Fenix flashlight or 2 or 3. They run off AA's, bright as Dinotte - actually, as bright as ANY LED technology right now.

I run 2 P3D Premiums, 430lumes, $130. I had to get the rcr123a batts & charger, but a great setup. No battery mount hassles, no switch & wiring mount hassles, no theft worries. And cars think I'm a car.

cheers
acroy - Please post up a beam shot photo, or nobody will believe you. With lithium-ions and the rapidly advancing LED technology, I believe torches are gaining viability for cycling.

cyccommute - I think your set-up proves that nothing can match DIY halogen for lumens per dollar.

JB01245 - your set-up is astounding. I would beg for a beam shot photo, but I'm sure it would look like a nuclear detonation.
Old 11-27-07, 10:00 AM
Cody Broken

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
JB01245 - I forgot you're Scar from MTBR! AKA "pond scum"! You are my light guru.
Old 11-27-07, 10:08 AM
Amber_

Bikes: Trek 830 mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of these and an LED blinky on the front.
Old 11-27-07, 11:09 AM
JB01245

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTML Code:
LOL! - I would have to agree with that statement with the amount of heat 3x MR16's are putting out. You probably don't even need to worry about "layering" in the winter.

I have plenty of experience with MR16's, you have maybe even seen my MR16 light design

Pond Scum Homebrew https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=245737

Cody Broken - Thank you very much for the compliment. I am very humbled.
Old 11-27-07, 01:14 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by JB01245
HTML Code:
LOL! - I would have to agree with that statement with the amount of heat 3x MR16's are putting out. You probably don't even need to worry about "layering" in the winter.

I have plenty of experience with MR16's, you have maybe even seen my MR16 light design

Yes I have seen your light. Nice job. I considered going that route but my local Harbor Freight was out of the lights and I don't really need waterproof units.

Old 11-27-07, 02:18 PM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both bike specific headlights and flashlights

One bike specific headlight, two bike specific amber running lights, and one (soon two) LED flashlights. Then there's the helmet light.

Headlight is a Planet Bike Alias SC with their 15 watt Spectra Blue Halogen bulb that is claimed to be 25% brighter than a standard MR-11 halogen. This is my main light with good beam width in close and reasonable beam length for the speeds I ride.

Front side lights are two Planet Bike BRT 3F Amber lights. Each is mounted just inside the brake levers and aimed about 70 degrees from straight ahead. These are my "be seen from the side" lights up front. They may also give a motor scooter look at night to help me be recognized as a vehicle.

One (soon two) Element 3 watt LED (Luxeon III as I recall) flashlights are mounted just inside the BRT 3F's. These are $28 for two at Sam's Club. This has a relatively narrow beam aimed to fill out the right (and soon left) furthest forward parts of the Alias halogen's beam. With two of these I will have redundant waterproof backup for the Alias halogen using AAA batteries rather than The Alias's dedicated pack.

Finally there is the Planet Bike 4 LED Sport Spot light mounted on my helmet to flash on motorists, light up turns, allow both hands free for repairs, and provide additional backup for the Alias halogen.

Next I want to make a version of one of the DIY MR-16 lights on this forum and put some of the above on my wife's bike.
Old 11-27-07, 05:47 PM
Cody Broken

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cody Broken
JB01245 - your set-up is astounding. I would beg for a beam shot photo, but I'm sure it would look like a nuclear detonation.
I changed my mind. I demand a beam shot photo! I gotta see what that rig throws!
Old 11-28-07, 05:30 AM
JB01245

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cody Broken - I will try to get out and take some beam shots. I have a Jet Phantom helmet mounted light that is collecting dust and my Pond Scum lights that I can also take beam shots of for comparison sake. Just got some Cree R2's yesterday, will try to get some photos of them in action as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.