Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling, why don't other riders gesture hello when

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling, why don't other riders gesture hello when

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 04:06 PM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Az B
I don't wave, I just have an orgasm every time someone passes me.

Every time.

Az
I hope you bring some extra shorts along.
Old 11-29-07, 04:08 PM
LIUser22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i usually pull up my left hand and wave and say "good _________ (morning/afternoon, never evening, i don't ride that late)"

If you come to mission viejo ill say hi when i see you riding
Old 11-29-07, 04:11 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Do you greet everyone you pass on the sidewalk as well?
Old 11-29-07, 04:19 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I greet each cyclist I encounter with a limerick.

Or, if they are riding at me on the wrong side of the road, I block their path and pepper them with questions;

'' answer me these questions three''
Old 11-29-07, 04:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Have you actually READ that one? It has n-o-t-h-i-n-g- to do with this topic.

As for OP the motorcyclist: "we always gave a head nod or wave to other bikers passing by"

I disagree with this one for this reason: It's been my experience that Harley riders almost NEVER wave at sport bike riders, and vice versa. Gold Wing owners are generally exempt; they're usually grandparents.
I do basically the same thing. I only wave at my own kind. It gets confusing though, like this morning when I was riding my fixed gear conversion to work. Do I only wave at the fixie kids? Or just commuters? Or just roadies?
Old 11-29-07, 04:26 PM
ChunkyB
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that people riding mountain bikes, or the people that look less serious about cycling always wave. The hardcore roadies rarely wave, and sometimes I get weird looks when I wave. Maybe I don't take it seriously enough, or maybe they're judging me because I only have 105 on my american made bike.
Old 11-29-07, 04:30 PM
paul emick
lackluster jerk

Bikes: '84 Univega, '97 Giant Iguana SE, '69 Hercules 3 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I'm driving my car, I wave at everyone else in a motor vehicle.
Old 11-29-07, 04:33 PM
carbonjockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heres something else: how about when you pass someone. for me it depends on if they appear to be dying or if they are just cruising.
Old 11-29-07, 04:36 PM
koine2002
Car(e) Free!

Bikes: Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paul emick
When I'm driving my car, I wave at everyone else in a motor vehicle.
It's an unwritten law to wave at EVERYone in rural Texas. Here in the big D, I'll wave at a cyclist I see on the roads since there aren't that many on the regular bi-ways and thoroughfares. However, at White Rock Lake and some of the other venues, I don't wave because I'd be waving every 3 seconds or so. I do life my index finger once in a while for a pseudowave or a head nod if I make eye contact.
Old 11-29-07, 04:40 PM
dauphin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bcart1991
That's a garbage excuse.

I try to wave to everyone I pass (or say "Good afternoon" or the like) that I pass on my rides.
aren't most excuses garbage? Isn't that the nature of an "excuse"?
Old 11-29-07, 05:16 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the Cleveland Metroparks we now "give the finger"as a warm greeting due to recent developments.
Old 11-29-07, 05:16 PM
dhale50

Bikes: Ridley Damocles, CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am too elite to wave at other cyclist. They have no business on the same road as me. The nerve....
Old 11-29-07, 05:23 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonjockey
heres something else: how about when you pass someone. for me it depends on if they appear to be dying or if they are just cruising.
i like this question, and I'm curious what you guys think. there are a few short hills I always try to go up with a hard effort. Maybe I'll be rolling at 12-14mph, and pass some people who are doing more like 7-8mph. Feel like you're "blowing their doors off" so to speak, but I usually give a good morning, or good afternoon to be friendly. I wonder though, if i sound like an ass. is it better to just pretend they're not there on their bikes (grammar police should like that one)?
Old 11-29-07, 05:40 PM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Bikes: Colnago Extreme Power, Ribble Winter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This p*sses me off. The first time I rode to the cat and fiddle (I was on my own) there was a group from Kidsgrove there, in full cycle club regalia. I said hello in a cheery tone as I parked my bike up and not one of them even *acknowledged* me!! They simply turned their backs. I could not believe it! Anyhoo, about 10 mins after they set off from the pub I set off myself. As I overtook them a while later I said the same cheery hello but underneath there was enormous sense of self-satisfication...

Knobs.
Old 11-29-07, 05:43 PM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude
i like this question, and I'm curious what you guys think. there are a few short hills I always try to go up with a hard effort. Maybe I'll be rolling at 12-14mph, and pass some people who are doing more like 7-8mph. Feel like you're "blowing their doors off" so to speak, but I usually give a good morning, or good afternoon to be friendly. I wonder though, if i sound like an ass. is it better to just pretend they're not there on their bikes (grammar police should like that one)?
Fine grammar - they're, there and their in one sentence. Well done you !
Old 11-29-07, 05:45 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
probably said already 1000x, but i'd hate to go off the road or hit a parked car after taking my eyes off the road just to wave at another cyclist....
Old 11-29-07, 05:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Ostuni
probably said already 1000x, but i'd hate to go off the road or hit a parked car after taking my eyes off the road just to wave at another cyclist....
I think you may be doing it wrong.
Old 11-29-07, 06:00 PM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
indeed. I never have a problem...
Old 11-29-07, 06:21 PM
balsingh
Student

Bikes: Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Mouse

Maybe it's a regional thing. I wave to pretty much everyone, and get a wave or nod back about half the time. But then, I'm a fred.

We were in Europe earlier this year cycling on bike trails along the Danube and nobody, I mean nobody waved or said hi or guten tag or anything. Friggin' foreigners.* *
You must be in the wrong place. I was in France this summer biking w/ a freind. On several occassions, people said "bon courage" and also waved at us, even a serious peloton of roadies. Cars honked, but not in the sense that they do in the States, nothing negative. But what was really neat was that on a windy day, a cyclist let us draft behind him for a good 30 kilometers (we were touring BTW). A really genuine act.
Old 11-29-07, 06:32 PM
beaus pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wave or nod but really could care less if the wave or nod back...
Old 11-29-07, 06:39 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
you pass them across the street. I was once a motorcyclist and we always gave a head nod or wave to other bikers passing by, but when I see other cyclist passing they almost never nod or wave hello. Is it just the south or is this just typical in cycling?
Because I am a dick, and although I personally don't know who the hell you are I still hate your guts. Any more questions?

P.S. For people who are lacking a sense of humor: I am not being serious!
Old 11-29-07, 06:39 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlexTaylor
This p*sses me off. The first time I rode to the cat and fiddle (I was on my own) there was a group from Kidsgrove there, in full cycle club regalia. I said hello in a cheery tone as I parked my bike up and not one of them even *acknowledged* me!! They simply turned their backs. I could not believe it! Anyhoo, about 10 mins after they set off from the pub I set off myself. As I overtook them a while later I said the same cheery hello but underneath there was enormous sense of self-satisfication...

Knobs.
"The cat and the fiddle played hi-diddle-diddle and the cow jumped over the moon"
Old 11-29-07, 06:44 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only wave once it drops below 0C.
Old 11-29-07, 07:08 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
you pass them across the street. I was once a motorcyclist and we always gave a head nod or wave to other bikers passing by, but when I see other cyclist passing they almost never nod or wave hello. Is it just the south or is this just typical in cycling?
Depending on the traffic. Plus if you're passing a couple of hundred folks on a ride you may not, on the other hand if you haven't seen another road cyclist for 4hrs you're sure to wave.
Old 11-29-07, 07:19 PM
ad6mj

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Mouse

We were in Europe earlier this year cycling on bike trails along the Danube and nobody, I mean nobody waved or said hi or guten tag or anything. Friggin' foreigners.*

Tell me about it! Europe is full of 'em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.