Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is your most versatile cold weather (15 to 40 degrees) jacket?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 05:22 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

So far my favorite is the Under Armour Derecho fleece jacket. It is perfect at blocking the wind, it's warm but breaths well in temps below 40 degrees and just in case you get caught in the rain... it's also waterproof! The perfect temp for this jacket with just a thin base layer is 25-35 degrees. It has made my winter weather commutes something to look forward to. I love the feel of fleece!

https://www.underarmour.com/shop/sear...-Fleece-Jacket

Are there any others out there that people really like?
Old 12-06-07, 06:09 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I just use a Nashbar Goretex shell over UnderArmour Cold Gear. That gets me down to around 20F. This morning it was 11F, and I just put a wool sweater over the Cold Gear and I was fine. I like the removable Goretex hood. It keeps my head dry and really adds to the warmth of whatever else I put on my head to keep it warm.
Old 12-06-07, 06:23 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mil-Spec M-65 in black.
Old 12-06-07, 06:52 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My most versatile jacket is actually a Jersey.

Cannondale Slice Jersey

I bought this, and one other cannondale jacket/jersey off ebay for next to nothing. I wear it in a wide variety of temperatures and really just alter what I have on underneath it, and how far open I keep the zip - ranging from one very thin wool layer to one thin and one medium weight wool top. Wore all last winter down to 20F or maybe the high teens.

Waterproof/windproof front, fabric back and stretch sides. I forget the model of my other one. I like it too, but find myself wearing the orange more.
Old 12-06-07, 06:58 PM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just the rain jacket I bought from J & G Cyclery. I wear a SmartWool base layer under it and I'm warm, toasty, and dry. It has pit vents for airflow if I need them, and I can close the velcro on both the top and bottom while keeping the zipper down some for more air flow.
Old 12-06-07, 08:05 PM
BMonei
Inebriated Ninja Hatters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Northface Venture Jacket is almost to hot with just a simple base layer underneath. It's a simple waterproof windbreaker.
Old 12-06-07, 08:45 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS

After reading unixpro's comment where he mentions the word "zipper", I've started to wonder... does that jacket zip weird or is it photographer's license? I mean, the jacket is zipped closed and the little black thing at the bottom is the zipper, right? So to unzip it you would pull up and the bottom would open first. That can't be right.
Old 12-06-07, 08:52 PM
Ouabacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unkchunk
After reading unixpro's comment where he mentions the word "zipper", I've started to wonder... does that jacket zip weird or is it photographer's license? I mean, the jacket is zipped closed and the little black thing at the bottom is the zipper, right? So to unzip it you would pull up and the bottom would open first. That can't be right.
Looks like a zipper at the top as well. I'd zip 'em both to the middle and wear it bare-chested to the mall!

.....sorry. Bare-chested might imply that I have something worth viewing. In my case, bare-belly'd would be a more appropriate term.

Last edited by Ouabacher; 12-06-07 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 09:11 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has a two-way zipper, you can zip it from either end.
Old 12-06-07, 10:14 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marrock
It has a two-way zipper, you can zip it from either end.
Correct, though I can't imagine a situation where I'd want to unzip some portion of the bottom.

Shows how observant I am. I've had the jacket for probably a year and never noticed it did this.
Old 12-06-07, 10:15 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use a $20 wind breaker shell that I bought at Target last year. Have used it with various layers under it down to -5 F.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 12-06-07, 10:18 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Correct, though I can't imagine a situation where I'd want to unzip some portion of the bottom.

Shows how observant I am. I've had the jacket for probably a year and never noticed it did this.
I guess it'd all depend on how you wanted to ventilate yourself.
Old 12-06-07, 10:30 PM
reiffert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightweight windshell, Longsleeve wool jersey, LS silk 'long underwear'. Works to below 30 for me.

I'd be worried about gray color.

Also, gloves. Keep your hands (and head and feet) warm and torso can manage a lot better. Lots of heat lost keeping your brain and fingers comfortable (or alive). And then, when the flat happens, there is still some dexterity left. Frozen fingers make lousy tire irons.
Old 12-07-07, 12:01 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Included in my definition of versatility would be... Can you wear this jacket out to lunch and not look too "bikey?" Can you wear it without layers and still be warm enough outside in cool temperatures? Are you protected if you get caught out in the rain or snow with this jacket (not necessarily in a bike situation) without the layers? I work in a professional office (not suit and tie... but business casual dress), it wouldn't be appropriate for me to go to meetings, out to lunch, etc... wearing my hi-vis yellow shell. It's nice to know that I'm "covered" for most any situation with this jacket (the under armour derecho.)
Old 12-07-07, 12:05 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by unixpro
I just the rain jacket I bought from J & G Cyclery. I wear a SmartWool base layer under it and I'm warm, toasty, and dry. It has pit vents for airflow if I need them, and I can close the velcro on both the top and bottom while keeping the zipper down some for more air flow.
That is a great combo, one of my favorites.
Old 12-07-07, 09:02 AM
nvr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Performance Bike's Illuminite commuter jacket. I wear it all year if the weather calls for a jacket. I just vary the layers I wear underneath depending on the temps. It's worked great for 2 years. Windproof/waterproof, long sleeves, drop tail, pit zips, velcro wrist. mesh liner so it doesn't stick to you. Great bargain if you can catch it on sale for $80. Mine is yellow/black, and it IS "bikey", but the blue version looks more casual.
Old 12-07-07, 09:06 AM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
$10 windbreaker shell, diy waterproofed with silicon spray from the camping section.
Been down to 0F with 2 layers under it: longsleeve t and sweatshirt.

Works great I'd only get something more if I had to deal with cold rain more often. But if it's raining, it's usually not very cold.

Cheers
Old 12-07-07, 09:26 AM
Matt1972
Fairweather Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a green fleece vest layered over a blue fleece pullover. The get up has been sufficient so far... Truth be told, I've been on vacation this week, so I haven't had the chance to commute in 30 degree weather!
Old 12-07-07, 09:36 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sugoi jacket, no insulation. I layer according to the temperature.
Old 12-07-07, 09:48 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Someone mentioned the versatility of the jacket for both on the bike and off the bike use.

I have this dilemma as well. For on the bike (especially during times it is cold and/or wet: night, rain, etc.) I want hi-visibility color (lime, yellow, white). Of the bike that is exactly what I don't want.

I don't compromise and get the hi-vis colors. I never want to be riding at night in a rainstorm in black jacket, even with multiple PBSFlashes. I most want my arms to be hi-vis colors. I've seen several jacket designs with high-vis torso and black arms. Not for me.

Al
Old 12-07-07, 10:14 AM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why I use the M-65, it has a removable liner for milder days and plenty of room for layering, a stowaway hood, and one of the most waterproof things I've ever seen.
Old 12-07-07, 10:48 AM
Intheloonybin

Bikes: 1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Craft jacket I bought at a bike shop to cc ski in originally. It has a windbreak front and a breathable back. Now I use it for commuting only.

I start wearing it at about 60 F and have used it down to 3 F. I just adjust what is underneath, using short sleeve and long sleeve t-shirts.

At 3 F, I used a ss t, and two ls t's. Any colder and I will add a layer or two.
Old 12-07-07, 10:56 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Altura night vision jacket. However, that's only because the very thin windbreaker I normally like to wear leaves me drenched in 35 degree rain. If it's dry, my windbreaker is better. The Altura can be worn at 40F, but you'd be pretty hot unless you wore a really light jersey and had it opened up a bit.
Old 12-07-07, 11:35 AM
MichaelW

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Between October and April/May I am rarely without my Paramo Cusco jacket. It is as breathable as a windproof and highly rainproof, definately more comfortable than goretex and more convenient than a windproof + goretex combo.
Old 12-08-07, 09:41 AM
arcticbiker
1coolrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I still use a 12 year old Pearl Izumi coat with wind proofing, reflective material for night riding, warm interior. It's not too waterproof, but excellent for our arctic conditions (I'm laughing to myself now because we have a Chinook wind today and temps are above 40 F.) No snow!

Only complaint with the Pearl Izumi is that the zipper tabs are too small for gloves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.