Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Pacific Northwest, some questions

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 10:32 PM
sneekyjesus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everybody, I'm graduating from college this spring (fingers crossed) and I'm planning on moving out west from the beast that is the east. I'm not really sure where I want to move to, Idaho sounds really nice, but I know I want to live close to mountains so I can try to get into backcountry snowboarding. So, my questions are: wheres good? Is it hard to find work out there? I'm thinking of part time, flexible schedule work (I'm a dishwasher now but I'm gonna try to get on the line at my restaurant for the spring). How bout info on ski or climbing clubs in your areas? In general I'm hoping someone can suggest towns to me, that hopefully aren't gigantic cities, are near mountains, and have access to some nice road riding as well. Thanks everyone
-Mike
Old 12-07-07, 11:13 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bend, OR?
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 12-07-07, 11:25 PM
sneekyjesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno, is it good?
Old 12-08-07, 12:05 AM
mike_khad1
Commuter Animal

Bikes: 2006 Burley Hudson, 2008 Specialized Globe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bend Oregon, The Sisters Oregon, Government Camp Oregon
Old 12-08-07, 12:45 AM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sneekyjesus
I dunno, is it good?
Yeah, it's a nice town. Lots of stuff going on and excellent snowsports.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 12-08-07, 11:01 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Some Washington options:

1. Bellingham, Wash. University town, very close to Mt. Baker for snowboarding, access to Puget Sound for kayaking. Under 4 hour drive to Whistler, BC. Little bigger town then Bend, but easy access to Seattle, Vancouver, the San Juan Islands and the rest of British Columbia.

2. Enumclaw, Washington. On the far Southeast edge of the Seattle metro area. Part rural, part small town, part suburb. Easy access to Crystal Mountain for skiing and boarding, easy access to Mt. Rainier national park for hiking and mountaineering in the summer. You can join the annual RAMROD ride around Mt. Rainier. Enumclaw is more "suburban" than the other options but if you're really interested in the snowboarding, check out the information on backcountry-snowboarding at Crystal Mountain; it's a big back-country area there.
Old 12-08-07, 11:15 AM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you move to Encumclaw or Bellingham be prepared for lots of wind in the stormy season and as my daughter said when she was attending WWU "people in Seattle don't know what rain is till they have lived in bellingham. FYI
Old 12-08-07, 11:32 AM
sneekyjesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain is a pretty big turnoff as far as a locale is concerned.
Old 12-08-07, 11:37 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sounds as if you don't want to live on the west side of any of the mountains in either Washington or Oregon then! So, perhaps Bend in Oregon, or Roslyn in Washington?

But if you don't have rain, then you have heat, so it's a tradeoff.

East Hill
Old 12-08-07, 12:51 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Yes, you will get rain if you live West of the mountains. Since you're a boarder, though, you have to think, "If it's raining in town, it's snowing in the mountains." A rainy day in town = powder on the slopes.

East Hill mentioned Rosyln. I was going to mention that as well. Very interesting, funky little ex-mining town now getting populated with second homes and some tourism. Your local snowboarding option would be Snoqualmie Summit and Alpental ski areas to the West...you are about 90 minutes from Seattle. Your road riding options would be from Roslyn to the East, lots of snowmobiling, hiking, horseback riding, camping options in the area as well. Cle Elum, another option, is just a few miles away. In general I suspect you would find a little less to do than in Bend.

However, if boarding is your priority I don't think the snow/slopes are the quality of Crystal, Mt. Baker or Mt. Bachelor.
Old 12-08-07, 01:27 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends too if you're picky about the snow. Snow around here tends to be heavy, getting lighter more inland. Lots of trade-offs to consider. Most places with restaurant jobs might also have higher cost of living. All nice places, though.
Old 12-08-07, 02:23 PM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't spent any time in Idaho, but driving through when I moved out here 6 months ago it looked very nice. Yes, they had plenty of mountains too.
Old 12-08-07, 03:54 PM
EasyEd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The puget sound area has a lot to offer. I would stay out of King county (Seattle) though. A little north to Snohomish or Skagit county's is probably a good compromise. Good size cities, not too huge, close to mountains and beaches. I like it. Economy is good.
Old 12-08-07, 08:52 PM
2wheeled
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe Leavenworth might be worth checking out. Great hiking, mtn biking and Steven's Pass is just a hop, skip and a jump from there.

https://www.leavenworth.org/
Old 12-09-07, 07:22 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EasyEd
The puget sound area has a lot to offer. I would stay out of King county (Seattle) though. A little north to Snohomish or Skagit county's is probably a good compromise. Good size cities, not too huge, close to mountains and beaches. I like it. Economy is good.
Hi EasyEd!

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Old 12-09-07, 10:11 AM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might suggest you look further east then what has been mentioned. Those locations and Bend are nice. Bend, I believe has the longest ski season. But, the cost of living is higher. Are you willing to live in a rural area or what are your other requirements. Spokane and north has some great senery close to several ski areas. I don't know much about Idaho, but I believe typically the wages are lower then in Washington. Spokane has a wide assortment of restaurants if that is the work you are looking for and if you are in a chain restaurant then you might be able to find the same restaurant to work in. Just additional info for you.
Old 12-09-07, 10:53 AM
sneekyjesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikingman, Idaho has been the focus of my idea along with Montana and Wyoming because of the mountain ranges that pass through them and the quality of the snow. i wouldn't mind living in a rural area as long as it had access to reasonable housing and work. Concerning Idaho in particular, I just received this email after posting some questions on craigslist:
Idaho is the worst place to work. We know of many people just hanging on
here, working typical crapy Idaho jobs paying lousy wages and with no benefits.
Just ask all the police officers who have transfered out of Idaho to
Washington, Oregon or Montana. Just ask all the teachers who have transfered out of
Idaho so they can make a livable wage. Don't let Idaho be the trap it is for
so, so many. Once you get stuck here, it is very hard and expensive to
leave. Some people get lazy and just put up with it. We will be moving out of
Idaho for that one reason alone, not to mention high taxes, high rents, high
crime rates and a long list of health reasons. Remember this. . . . Idaho is
controlled by the rich, iron fist of the Republican party . . . the same rich
party that forced RIGHT TO WORK down the peoples throats, and that equates to
lousy jobs. RIGHT TO WORK, WRONG FOR AMERICA! Do yourself a favor and go
someplace, anyplace else and make a good life for yourself. I have seen it
over and over for the thirty years we have been stuck here. We are planning
our escape from this crazy place and then we will look back on it as ....IDAHOLE
..YESTERDAYS MASHED POTATOES. Just our .02cents
Old 12-09-07, 12:41 PM
BengeBoy 

Sneekyjesus,

I would suggest you figure out what kind of community you really want to live in:

1. Truly rural. In the West, that likely means jobs are scarce. Often it's a former mining or logging town and jobs are tough, unless they are close to or making a transition to....

2. Tourist town. Lots of these. More jobs, more to do, but higher cost of living. If you have a service job, you'll either have to find a roomie, live modestly, or commute in from a more rural area (or possibly all 3). But plenty of opportunity to "move up" over the years if you have outdoor skills or are smart/reliable/hard-working enough to become a restaurant or shop manager or owner.

3. Medium-sized city with access to the outdoors (e.g., Spokane, Bellingham, Bozeman, Missoula). More jobs, more to do, maybe a bit bigger place than you're thinking about..might need to drive further than you originally hoped. But you can "live in the city" during the week, and be in the outdoors on the weekend.

4. Bigger city. Seattle, Portland. Same as number 3, with a bit more of a drive.

Life is a trade-off. I don't know of many rural places with plentiful jobs, high wages for unskilled workers, low cost of living and great outdoors activities. You're going to have to make that trade on your own.

Finally, your final comment that you passed along mentions a lot of facts, among them: right to work laws, Republican control of local communities, wage rates, tax rates, cost of living, and public sector salaries in Idaho vs other states. All of those are factual statements that can either be verified or refuted in a day's worth of research on the Internet.

BB
Old 12-09-07, 01:46 PM
sneekyjesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been assuming I'd have to make a tradeoff, which is why I've been wavering between tourist towns and medium-sized cities. I really need to find out which of the medium sized cities are closest to accessible skiing, on or off resort and provide access to good road cycling, or which tourist towns are recommended.
Old 12-09-07, 02:09 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sneekyjesus
I've been assuming I'd have to make a tradeoff, which is why I've been wavering between tourist towns and medium-sized cities. I really need to find out which of the medium sized cities are closest to accessible skiing, on or off resort and provide access to good road cycling, or which tourist towns are recommended.
Bend has all of these things.
Old 12-09-07, 03:08 PM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bend is a city of about 77,000. there are a lot of restaurants, both in town and at the various resorts, if you want to work in the food industry. There are many Cycling opportunities, both on and off road.

And the local scenery is nice. This is Mt Jefferson seen from Smith Rock State Park, about 20 miles north of Bend.

Old 12-09-07, 09:28 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

it's all good, sneekyjesus. try Bend, you'd like it.
Old 12-09-07, 10:15 PM
sneekyjesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a lot of people are hyping bend. no ones really defending idaho, or for that matter wyoming and montana and some of the smaller cities and towns. i'll be doing the transamerica trail next summer, east to west, so when I get to the northwest I'll start looking at some of these places that have been recommended. thanks for all the input so far everyone
Old 12-09-07, 10:44 PM
donnamb 
tired

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's the economy.
Old 12-09-07, 10:56 PM
sneekyjesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm not looking to start a career, surely there must be a lot of tourist towns with adequate part time jobs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.