Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Making a "Harley Wannabe" back down...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Making a "Harley Wannabe" back down...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 02:42 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrated
..."Did you ride your motorcycle today?"

"No... it's raining."

"Well then, Mr. Hardcore Harley... you think I'm a freak for not letting a little rain stop me from doing something that I like, but yet you can't bring yourself to ride your motorized vehicle for 30 minutes a day to get to work because you may get a little wet. I may be a freak, but it sounds to me like you're a p***y hiding behind a leather vest. Go ahead and stick your hand in that donut box again... it suits you."
I don't have a problem with bikers, unless there's more 'tude than bike, I figure better two wheels than than four...but that there is just flat funny.

Had a fat woman call me a freak from a passing passenger window today.
Thank you fat woman, compared you, I guess I am. Go have another bag of pork rinds and a diet coke.

The real irony was; there were two U.S. Marines stickers on the back window. I retired just over two years, two months and two weeks ago.
Old 12-21-07, 02:44 PM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Not surprising given that the OP lives in Georgia, which is currently rated the 14th fattest state in the US.
SSP... You hit it EXACTLY on the head. It's just like I said, I'm one of only a handful of people in my building who are not overweight. That's a terrible situation... every single person in my office is on some kind of medication for high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, thyroid ailments, or some other problem. And none of these people seem to think that it's worthwhile to try doing something about the sedentary lifestyle that got them into trouble to start with. A little healthy maintenance and exercise would prolly fix most of their problems without medication.

That's the deal with this guy. His Harley serves to give him emotional refuge to hide from the big gut that hangs over his belt while he calls others inferior.

And SSP... If we're #14 in Georgia, I hate to see the 13 states ahead of us!
Old 12-21-07, 03:02 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Not surprising given that the OP lives in Georgia, which is currently rated the 14th fattest state in the US.
Huh? Georgia is only 14th? Is that because the first 11 are Texas?
Old 12-21-07, 03:02 PM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My home state of Connecticut is 47th on the list and my new home of Texas is 12th. The people I used to work with compared to the people I do work with isn't that much different as far as medical conditions or their treatment of my cycling.
The harley owners I do know wave to me when they see me and I haven't had problems with them. They even invite me to go to the local Harley short when we are on a trip so they can get their Harley of xxxx t-shirt.
It sucks that you work in an office with a few jerks in it but I think they are just Jerks who ride Harleys not Harley Riders are Jerks. I do wonder if the folks who are really stretching their dollars to get onto that Harley or <insert vehicle here> are more often then not jerks though. I don't think going to EEO or the boss at work would get you very far. Sure it is a little harrassment but cyclists aren't a protected class of people. I'd say just take it as a compliment. Something like "It is nice that I can do what I love no matter what the weather. Too bad you can't ride your harley in the rain"
Old 12-21-07, 03:15 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just tell 'em you're thankful that your gut's not large enough to qualify as a Harley rider (it takes a Hog to ride a Hog).

To add injury to insult, find a nice twisty downhill and challenge them to a race - those big ole Harley's can't corner for sh*t, and it's not too hard to outrun them on downhills (I've passed Hell's Angels going down hill in Colorado).
Old 12-21-07, 03:28 PM
WorldPax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure glad that my commuting experience hasn't been like the rest. Most of the responses I received were of the wow or wish I could variety. Very few were of the you're a nut variety. When I decided to do the MS150 I raised just shy of $1500 without even trying hard, $500 of that was from the CEO. I kind of miss that job...
Old 12-21-07, 03:40 PM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Ok, I'll play devil's advocate.

How subtle or open are you about how you feel about their lifestyle?

If you come off as disrespectful of the way they choose to live their lives, it's not surprising that you'd get some of that same disrespect in return.
Old 12-21-07, 03:50 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well now... talk about making some assumptions there Lem!

Y
As for anger management... how would you feel if you turned the corner and someone was talking trash and insulting you? Might you want them to stop? Eh?

(edit: BTW... Do you own a Harley?)
In the 25 or 30 motorcycles Ive owned two have been Harleys.
I work on Americas Fastest Supercar (really) and ride a folding bicycle to
work. I hear the word 'fruit' more than I see it written at the store.
"So What" is the only effort I put into caring what other people say or think of me.
In fact, taking into consideration some of the people who issue these
wittisisms and comment on how strange I might be only reinforce I am
doing something right In fact, today I got admonished for goofing on
#3.....Yeah, The Intimidator. Only a kommie *** goofs on the intimidator !
Really, live and let live. ........

Ride safe and have a nice holiday !!
Peace out !
Old 12-21-07, 03:57 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I must live under a rock.

What is Americas Fastest Supercar ?
Old 12-21-07, 05:19 PM
Lt.Gustl

Bikes: '80 Motobecane '86 Eddy Merckx '88 Miyata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Sportster gets 65mpg on regular, it's got Buell Lightning heads and a bunch of other performance crap that the prior owner had installed, isn't as bad in snow and ice as my Honda St1100s were. I thought the loud pipe thing was BS, but I've never had a problem with the HD lane splitting or just minding my own business. It's funny because I got the Sportster over a K1200LT, I thought though that BMW would be coming out with a newer touring bike soon so I didn't want to get screwed over resale like I did with my two ST1100s which had been keeping their value just fine and then a year after I get mine they surprise everyone with the ST1300. I was ticked, and since I had always looked askance at HDs, their owners and the whole thing altogether I figured what better way to be able to knock them than to speak from experience. So far all my suspicions were false and I've run out of bad things to say other than the location of the ground post on the battery is very unfortunate and requires an extra step to tighten. The backrest and luggage rack on the sportser are just right for sticking a bicycle on, something I found out the other day at the Salvation Army!

My favorite bike to putt around on was my Ducati but it would make my balls numb after riding it for over two hours in a day. My favorite bike to ride fast in the twisties was the Ninja 250 and the ST1100 is just a great bike overall but is very heavy and likes to get stuck in sand, gravel, mud and snow. I've dug more holes with the rear wheel on that thing than with my 4X4. I think my next bike will be either a KZ1000p or Road-Glide.

Most people are posers regardless of what they are into. I've found it's best to ignore them, it seems all they want is negative attention anyway.

My feeling is that if it has two wheels it works for me. Except for that Segway nonsense, who do those guys think they are..?
Old 12-21-07, 06:20 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
As for anger management... how would you feel if you turned the corner and someone was talking trash and insulting you? Might you want them to stop? Eh?
(speaking for myself...): not really. They're clearly morons, and what they hell do I care what a moron says? It's like getting something like "***" yelled at you. How can you possibly get mad about it? Either it's true, in which case, so what, or it's a lie, in which case, so what?

People spend too much time worrying about what other people think of them.
Old 12-21-07, 06:33 PM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one's ever hassled me about riding my bike to work. Why would they? I would rather ride a bike in winter than a motorcycle. I'm generating a lot of heat, which keeps me warm. No such luck on a motorcycle.
Old 12-21-07, 06:38 PM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one's ever hassled me about riding my bike to work. Why would they? I would rather ride a bike in winter than a motorcycle. I'm generating a lot of heat, which keeps me warm. No such luck on a motorcycle.
Old 12-21-07, 07:21 PM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTERhetorical question....if you did you wouldnt
be questioning why they didnt ride in. [/QUOTE]

The conventional wisdom on true motorcyclists is: If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride. That's what rainsuits are for. I love the question from people who are non rider.(MC or bicycle), "What do you do when it rains?" I always answer, "You get wet!?"
Old 12-21-07, 07:22 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by one_beatnik
I'm on a motorcycle forum for Moto Guzzi (Italian like my groupo!!). I thought it was only there that Hardley riders were castigated. This thread has been fun! I have to share some of this over there. Thanks for the laughs.
I wouldn't blast all Harley riders. I am friends with and used to work with a guy who has been riding motorcycles for years. He's owned a Harley along with a number of other motorcycles over the last 30+ years and when it comes to motorcycles he's a guru. I have a lot of respect for him. He's kind of a cruiser guy while I'm more into the sport touring bikes and I think my next bike will be a BMW. He currently owns a 1976 Honda CB750 and a 2005 Honda VTX1800 (which basically looks and sounds like a Harley). He has never given me an ounce of crap about riding a bicycle to work and I've known him for almost 5 years now.

BTW-Both of my bikes have Italian groupos and I almost bought a barely used Moto Guzzi a few years ago. I may be a member of that forum in fact.
Old 12-21-07, 07:27 PM
Lamplight

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
And SSP... If we're #14 in Georgia, I hate to see the 13 states ahead of us!
My state (Tennessee) is #6 according to that list, and I don't doubt it at all. I have a good 10-15 pounds I can't seem to lose, and I look like a skeleton around here!
Old 12-21-07, 08:19 PM
FlyingAnchor

Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever hit a hail storm at 70 mph on a bike with an open face helmet? I was in the fast lane and slowed down to about 45 in a micro second as I tucked in behind my faring, man that hurt for days.

And I rode a Yamaha 700 all the time I went to college in Redwood country where it rains anywhere from 40" to 100" a year.

Yeah, when it rains, you get wet.

Steven
Old 12-21-07, 08:29 PM
Ouabacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I must live under a rock.

What is Americas Fastest Supercar ?

So THAT'S who's been messing with my '97 Malibu . Anyway, Everyone I work with, save one or two, think exercise is for girls. There's one total H-D dude/ our truck driver (double whammy) that is for real and I would definitely not mess with. We get along great, but I've noticed that he won't even acknowledge me when I'm in cycling gear or already on my bike heading out. Even if I debated him to death (which I'm sure I could), I know I still could never convince him of anything he didn't already believe. Therefor, I ignore the behavior and continue to live my happy life !
Old 12-21-07, 08:33 PM
TRUMPHENT
Dave

Bikes: Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh! I love this thread. I work with a large number of very large people in Miami Fl. There is a KFC on the other side of US1 and next to it is the Harley dealership, formerly a Circuit City outlet. It's big.

One of my favorite coworkers rides a sportster,I think. We had our first cold snap last week and temps got down into the 50's. He showed up without his HD.

My coworker is the re incarnation of the Smiling Buhdda. In form, word and attitude. He is a cool nice guy.

I don't berate him about his belly that, historically gets rubbed and he never inquires about my spandex shorts left out drying on my commuter ride.

Other coworkers catch me while I am unloading and locking up the bike and ask me some questions.

The best revenge is to carry a half gallon of ice cream to work and eat it in the break room or other conspicuous place for breakfast. You shouldn't talk when your mouth is full. Revenge is best served cold!
Old 12-21-07, 09:40 PM
mmerner
okay maybe not.

Bikes: oh a bunch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One harley wannabe guy started harassing me about putting "baseball cards in the spokes", I just said to him "kinda like you put mufflers on that make it sound 10 times louder than if needs to be????", he stopped pretty quick.
Old 12-21-07, 09:43 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I detect some envy!
Old 12-21-07, 09:47 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experiences with Harley riders while on my bicycle are much like evblazer's. They greet me, I greet them, everyone's real friendly. It's really the car drivers I watch out for, for the most part.
Old 12-21-07, 11:16 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by one_beatnik
[QUOTERhetorical question....if you did you wouldnt
be questioning why they didnt ride in. [/QUOTE]

The conventional wisdom on true motorcyclists is: If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride. That's what rainsuits are for. I love the question from people who are non rider.(MC or bicycle), "What do you do when it rains?" I always answer, "You get wet!?"
Agreed, same goes for trailering a bike IMO. When I was riding I frequented a motorcycle motel in the mountains and the owners would always goof on the people (behind their backs) who showed up on a trailer, most of them coming from much shorter distances that I did.

Motorcycles aren't very much different than bicycles though, in that they're a weekend hobby for the vast majority of owners. There's little difference between the Saturday Fat Boy and the Saturday Cervelo. Hell, I used to have a dedicated track car that got driven about one weekend a month.

I'm genuinely trying to simplify my lifestyle, so all the weekend hobbies had to go, but I can certainly understand the appeal of it. The shame is that our culture seems to encourage this type of behavior, asking us to make entertainment and expensive and infrequent event. Fun is rarely proportional to money spent and is often an inverse proportion.
Old 12-21-07, 11:42 PM
cradduck
This town needs an enema.

Bikes: Bridgestone 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes...the Harley. The conformists' idea of be non-conformist. They're no different than the garage queen pickup truck drivers.
Old 12-22-07, 03:36 AM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you're off the bike, what kind of people give you a hard time about your cycling?
Generally no one does. In my experience, most people show their intolerance of cyclists while they (those intolerant) are in their cars where they feel safe to honk and yell obscenities. Out of their cars, where they can't just yell something and then speed away, they don't have much to say because they're just as vulnerable as the next person.

The people who do make derogatory comments usually do so by making indirect comments but direct or indirectly, they're showing that that they're just bigots. I loathe those people but they're a fact of life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.