Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How cold is too cold for you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How cold is too cold for you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 03:10 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kergin
Your body adapts to the temperature change pretty quickly. When it comes down to it, only your extremities need serious protection in most situations. That usually means windproof gloves and shoes.
+1 I learned that the hard way.
Old 12-31-07, 04:07 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll typically ride my road bike until 5ºC. After that, stuff gets kind of sketchy. Then I switch to my winter beater.
Old 12-31-07, 07:47 PM
Mobilegroomer
Call me Fred...

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL, Giant TCR C1, Specialized Epic Comp, Easy Racers Gold Rush ('bent), Schwinn Tempo, Nimbus II Unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-31-07, 08:38 PM
80vette
Gear Head

Bikes: 07' Colnago CLX, 04' Allez,03' KHS, 79' super leTour304

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobilegroomer
Exactly !!!
Old 12-31-07, 08:44 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So far, there hasn't been a "It's too cold to cycle" for me. Of course, I think the lowest I've gone is about 15 degrees F. Even when it's past freezing, I find that the actual ride is enough to keep me warm if I'm wearing arm warmers, gloves, and a light mask over my face.

It's the really cold, wet days that get me.
Old 12-31-07, 08:51 PM
mazpr
Banned.

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Below 40

Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
anything below 40 thats it,no ride
Yep, I tried it once and in a few minutes I was on my way back home.
Old 12-31-07, 09:43 PM
blonduathlongrl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ive been wondering all day how cold is too cold for some...

Im suppose to go for a group ride tomorrow, 9 AM, weather forecast calls for 32 and snow the whole time. Im wondering if I should just stay in bed.
it's a "fun" ride, 40 miles, im just not sure how "fun" 40 miles in the snow is on skinny tires, I want to go! but... Im being a wussette... wondering if that is too cold for most people and if most people wont show up!

*sigh* what to do what to do... 32 is OK, but snow the whole time doesnt excited me much.
Old 01-02-08, 02:17 AM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pharmr
I may be wussy.....but low 50's is the cut off for me....
I won't say you're a wussy but I say you're missing out. Why not ride below 50? I live in a mediterranean climate and am not used to the cold so I compensated by just getting warmer clothes; wind-resistant tights & toe covers, a neck gaiter and heavy gloves. Just use as warm an ensemble as you must and you don't have to quit cycling for 3+ months/year.
Old 01-02-08, 08:36 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
60 degrees.

It's rare that it's colder than that here.
Old 01-02-08, 08:41 AM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
about 25˚ for road riding, much colder for mtb. I went for a mtb ride on some snowshoe trails in the woods last night, it was about 16˚F, and after 15 minutes I was down to my craft shortsleeve winter base layer and long sleeve jersey on top, with just a set of bib tights and shorts for the bottom. There's no wind, so it's oh so much warmer...
Old 01-02-08, 08:48 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hit 5F this morning on my MTB. However, that would not count due to the fact that it was from my house to the bus (a few thousand feet) and from the light rail to my work (1\4 of a mile). Last winter I hit 5F on a 15 mile ride at 5am.
I still think 15F is my practical low.
Old 01-02-08, 09:20 AM
mgmoore7

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
About 50F for me. I am in FL though and I don't have and will not buy a bunch of cold weather gear to use it a few times each year. So 50F is about my limit.

Of course, we don't really see 50F very often for very long.

One exception though. Supposed to get to 22F tonight. I have not seen it that cold for several years even for an overnight temperature. Maybe I should get out and ride at 5am just to say I have riden in under 30F temps.
Old 01-02-08, 09:26 AM
explody pup

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well, I went on my coldest yesterday. 39F and maybe the windiest I've ridden in. It hurt my body. I'm counting the days until my new winter gear arrives in the mail.

Old 01-02-08, 10:44 AM
slimvela
Ductus Exemplo

Bikes: 2008 ADK Custom Build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40F or colder and/or raining...daddy don't ride! Hey, give me a break I live in Phoenix. That means we pretty much get to ride year round. Example, Casa Grande Century this Sunday the 6th. Forecast: Highs in the upper 60's and partly cloudy.
Old 01-02-08, 11:02 AM
fprintf
Better rider 20 yrs ago

Bikes: Trek 1500D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40 degrees F for me. Anything colder than that and it is time to get on the rollers. But that is because I only have one bike and no budget for buying fancy winter cycling clothes. I just use the excuse that I am working on my spin for the next three months!
Old 01-02-08, 11:08 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I commute in any temp. I'll make trips around town in any temp. I won't ride for fun under 40F.
same here but turns out the commute is fun.
Old 01-02-08, 11:47 AM
serac
Wet Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kergin
Your body adapts to the temperature change pretty quickly. When it comes down to it, only your extremities need serious protection in most situations. That usually means windproof gloves and shoes.
Ding, ding, ding. This is my answer.

In Colorado it was cold but dry and wind was the enemy so wind resistant gloves, touring shoes or booties, tights and a neck warmer were useful starting in the 20s. I stopped riding around 10 except for special occasions.

Here in Seattle is doesn't get cold but it's wet. I put on gloves just below 35 when raining. If not raining, I don't use them until much colder. Metal brake levers are the main culprit to suck the heat from my fingers. So here in Seattle nothing special is necessary. When I start to ride I warm up a lot and then even the rain isn't too bad. I've never needed a hat here or special footwear. A simple shell on top and light tights are good enough for the tropical PNW.
Old 01-02-08, 12:18 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is daylight, I'll layer up and hit the road down to about 25 degrees. If it's dark, I'll use the trainer no matter the temp. Wind and rain forces me to the garage as well.
Old 01-02-08, 12:37 PM
Colonelmom

Bikes: Giant, Jamis fixie, Orbea Orca; Ceverlo P2SL TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Pig
I've started in the high 30s but it usually warms to at least high 50s by mid-morning. I'm a fair weather cyclist.

+1
Old 01-02-08, 01:30 PM
07RoubComp

Bikes: 08 Specialized Roubaix Expert Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
60 is about it for me, anymore. When I was younger, I would ride my Harley in any weather, but now that I'm in the over 60 gang, I don't enjoy being cold, at all. Thank goodness I now live in AZ and it doesn't get or stay cold here very much. I'm so glad I moved from VA. The Harley's long gone, but I still enjoy the Roubaix. When some of you guys have ridden in the cold and wet for forty years, we'll see how much you still enjoy it.
Old 01-02-08, 01:49 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
60 F is the lower limit for my wife. For myself freezing is the limit for fun rides and 10-15 F on commutes.
Old 01-02-08, 02:09 PM
mimib123

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just started road biking about a week ago. I live in East Tennessee, and the temperatures don't get TOO bad but they get pretty cold. It is about 26 degrees today from what it said in the car. Yesterday it was in the low fourties. I don't wear that much, just long sleeves and long pants, gloves, a beanie under my helmet, and ski socks. There are only a few times during my ride where the wind gets high and I get cold, but usually I'm quite warm. I like riding in the winter more, it seems like with good clothing it isn't terribly difficult to not be miserable. In the summer, you could be naked and still be miserable due to the temperatures. Just my opinion.
Old 01-02-08, 02:16 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can ride comfortably when it's between 35F - 40F minimum.

Anything lower than that and it becomes hell for me.

Fortunately, this January seems to be much warmer than previous years, so I think I'll be riding a bit more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 01-02-08, 02:23 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
As long as the roads are dry, I've yet to discover the concept of too cold. However, that is not a result of physical tolerance, etc. It's a direct result of my firm belief that the best possible definition of personal hell is spending the evening in the garage on the trainer.

I'd rather freeze to death than die of boredom.

28 degrees in the sun today, and I still dragged the Raleigh Sports out at lunchtime to put a few miles on. And the trainer stays on the shelf tonight.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-02-08, 02:41 PM
karlkras
CycleManiaque

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Diamondback Podium 7, Focus Izalco Tria 1.0, Surly LHT, Raleigh Technium, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
As long as the roads are dry, I've yet to discover the concept of too cold.
Couldn't agree more. Cold isn't so much a problem in these parts (NW Oregon) and I can even deal with a fair amount of rain, but ice, forget about it. Unfortunately ice is more prevalent then snow when it gets cold in this area, I actually like riding in snow but don't get much of a chance in our climate.
Cold and dry is a very good combination, IMO, but again, this is rare here, also have to factor in some of the hellatious winds that come of the Gorge. Bad enough in the summer months, but in the winter it can be a killer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.