Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbee In South Florida

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Newbee In South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 12:55 PM
jarias51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbee In South Florida

Hi, I am from Weston, in South Florida and I want to get into roady cycling.

I am buying this saturday a GIANT TCR A1 from my LBS and all the gear from them as well.

This is the first time in probably 3 years that I ride a bike and would like to get any tips or tricks for a beginner of this sport.

Anything can help. I usually have found a thread for beginners in other sport/hobbies forums but I did not find anything like this for road cycling.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Jose
Old 01-08-08, 02:13 PM
PipinFan

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix TDF,2008 Orbea Orca in Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jarias51
Hi, I am from Weston, in South Florida and I want to get into roady cycling.

I am buying this saturday a GIANT TCR A1 from my LBS and all the gear from them as well.

This is the first time in probably 3 years that I ride a bike and would like to get any tips or tricks for a beginner of this sport.

Anything can help. I usually have found a thread for beginners in other sport/hobbies forums but I did not find anything like this for road cycling.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Jose
Contact these club and don't look back...

https://www.southbrowardwheelers.com/
Old 01-08-08, 02:25 PM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PipinFan
Contact these club and don't look back...

https://www.southbrowardwheelers.com/
I had dinner the other night with a couple that were instrumental in starting that club. It sounds like the perfect place for you to get started.
Old 01-09-08, 06:36 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a lot of good riding in Weston and all of the Broward clubs ride through town on Sat/Sun. SBW is a great club with many different levels from beginner to A++ no limit, drop you until you can hang rides. Team Memorial (https://www.teammemorial.com/) and the Weston Flyers (https://www.westonflyers.com/) are pretty fast rides ~25mph. Many good LBS in the area as well, Zs will do you well for Giant I tend to use Big Wheel in Hollywood, they are close to where I work and have great mechanics. Also if you MTB you can find some reasonable trails in Markham park which is just N of 75 on Weston Rd.

If you see a couple of old guys (+50) out on Royal Palm/Weston/South Post/Saddle Club one on a Scott the other on a Litespeed that will be Bill and I. We ride almost daily after work for 20mi and then either do a group ride on Sun or ride up to Parkland for 65mi.

See ya around

2013 Noah RS

Last edited by stonecrd; 01-09-08 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 08:14 AM
PipinFan

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix TDF,2008 Orbea Orca in Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Olebiker
I had dinner the other night with a couple that were instrumental in starting that club. It sounds like the perfect place for you to get started.
Yes,that's why I recommended him SBW because the others are fast, fast rides and I don't think will be beneficial for him,SBW has a vast congregation of all type of cyclists and for someone that is new it will be much better,latter with experience etc you can visit the other groups or Clubs.
Old 01-14-08, 06:55 AM
jarias51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the comments. I ended up buying a LOOK with the very helpful guys from Zs, my friend got a Giant from them too. Already tried them out on saturday and sunday and it was great!

I will contact SBW.

Thanks again!