Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help Identifying Tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Help Identifying Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 07:28 PM
aka_locojoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help Identifying Tandem

Hello all. We have a couple of tandems and just ride them for leisure. Today I acquired this one. Any help identifying this bike would be appreciated.
I'm guessing it is a road or touring tandem and someone added the apes. What I do know...
It's a lugged frame. Looks like a threadless headset. Rear facing drop outs. Euro eccentric bottom bracket. Has braze ons for a tire pump. Other braze on bracket things that I don't know what they are for. One looks like it's for a coaster brake arm yet it's too far forward. Also a couple on the seat stays and one on the front fork.
It now has a Shimano 3 speed rear w/o coaster brake. 3 speed handlebar shifter has just been screwed to the frame. It has no rear brake at all. Has a front drum brake. Wheels are mismatched and I'm guessing neither are original. Also think the fenders might have been added.

More detail photos here
Our other tandems here
Our clubs tandem cruise night

Thanks for reading.

Old 01-20-08, 10:45 PM
moleman76

Bikes: Stella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess for the braze-on on the right fork is that it was for a headlamp. That may be a clue to its origins -- Britain or the Continent; I think I've read that they were different but I forget which side of the channel put their lamps on the right side. Might have been the British, to have them nearer the center of the road, or might have been the French, to illuminate the gutter.
Old 01-21-08, 04:32 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by moleman76
My guess for the braze-on on the right fork is that it was for a headlamp. That may be a clue to its origins -- Britain or the Continent; I think I've read that they were different but I forget which side of the channel put their lamps on the right side. Might have been the British, to have them nearer the center of the road, or might have been the French, to illuminate the gutter.
GB put the head light boss on the right hand fork ie; roadside for them. So did Australia and Japan.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-21-08, 12:05 PM
Rincewind8
Radfahrer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lower braze-ons on the fork are probably for a rack, like those on the seat stays, if they are symmetrical. The one on the right side of the fork could also be for a generator. I'd be surprised if it has a threadless headset. The clamp above the headset bearings might be what remains of a bracket to hold a front light.

I'd ask in the classic and vintage forum someone there might be able to help you identify it.
Old 01-21-08, 05:52 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
GB put the head light boss on the right hand fork ie; roadside for them. So did Australia and Japan.

Aaron
That may have been a mount for a block style generator. The boss on my Dawes Galaxy is centered on the right fork blade.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-28-08, 07:30 AM
aka_locojoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts