Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleat Screws NEVER stay tight...what gives?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 11:07 AM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The screws connecting my cleats to the shoes always come loose after about 2 rides. I am constantly tightening down with all my strength just to get by. Can anybody tell me if this is normal? Is there anything I can do to cut this down? I use Shimano SPD-SL pedals, Shimano SPD-SL No Float cleats and Sidi Genius 4 shoes. Please Help! Thanks.

"The bicycle has a soul. If you are able to love it as it deserves, it will give you emotions you will never forget." -Mario Cipollini
Old 09-02-04, 11:10 AM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not normal. Either use Lock-tite -- found at hardware and automotive stores -- or contact Sidi or try new screws.
Old 09-02-04, 11:11 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apply some Loctite to the bolts. Blue or red I use either for my "don't want the bolts to come loose" needs. One of them is stronger then the other though, I think the red stuff is. That should help.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-02-04, 11:40 AM
rwg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem - except I didn't realize they were coming loose until I lost a bolt and couldn't get out of the pedal. I used locktite and never had the problem again.

On the other hand, the locktite that I used will stay secure until something like 500 degrees F. There wouldn't be much left of the shoe if I got the bolts to that temperature, I don't think. So either make sure you have a locktite that is easily breakable or make sure that you have the exact adjustment you want on the cleats, b/c they ain't movin after you are done. I can't remember if SPDs have any adjustments or not, but it's something to think about.
Old 09-02-04, 12:53 PM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing everyone recommends Loctite "Threadlock" either Red or Blue. Thanks for the help and i'll give it a shot today or tomorrow.

"The bicycle has a soul. If you are able to love it as it deserves, it will give you emotions you will never forget." -Mario Cipollini
Old 09-02-04, 01:15 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had the same problem once. I spent 25 cents on a few lock washers. Problem solved.
Old 09-02-04, 01:24 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Use either blue or purple Loctite. If you use red, you might as well just throw the shoes out when the cleats wear out. Blue is medium strength (still able to remove the bolts with normal hand tools) and purple is light duty (enough locking to keep a small, non-vibrated fastener from loosening up). I had the same issue but I was able to torque mine enough that they now stay. If I have to remove them sometime for some good reason, I'll be using some Loctite.
Old 09-02-04, 01:24 PM
FatBomber
It's not easy being green

Bikes: Cannondale Jekyll 700, Jamis Eclipse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the Blue loctite if you would ever like to get them off. Red is a bit more permanent.
Old 09-02-04, 02:13 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Blue Loctite is what you need
Old 09-02-04, 02:37 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get hex bolts from the hardware store, you can get them in 8mm or 10mm etc.

Then you can tighten your cleats with big ass wrench, instead of a screwdriver.

They dont strip or tear like standard screw heads can.
Old 09-02-04, 04:40 PM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ill try the Blue Loctite w/ some Hex bolts. Sounds like this worked for everyone. Thanks again guys!!!