Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass Bicycle (Open Letter)

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Fiberglass Bicycle (Open Letter)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 09:57 PM
Fast Eddie
gravity speed freek

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hot bike i cant beleive your still posting these things on forums, presenting them as something w/ merit, and claiming to have sold one for over 12 hundred bucks. if it sold at all, why do you still have it? you didnt built a fiberglass bike, you mounted a hideous, spray painted glob of duct tape and resin or epoxy on an existing bike. you arent even painting these things worth a crap. ive seen that yellow bike on the the g-bike forum, how do you mount a heavy battery on a bmx bike using two rubber bungee chords and call that road ready or safe? those bikes are dangerous dude, and even if someone was willing to buy one you shouldnt sell cuz theyre dangerous. those bikes were crap before you poured goop on 'em, and with all the goop theyre bigger piles of crap. your embarrassing yourself man, this is the second or third forum where ive seen your "fairings" being made fun of.

maybe instead of starting from scratch you could do what ive seen other builders do, go to the junk yard and pull the fairings off of motorcycles, bob 'em a bit, and mount 'em to a bicycle. sheesh man, your gonna hurt yourself or someone else with those things.

fast eddie outty
Old 01-02-08, 10:34 PM
mezza

Bikes: Steel geared. Steel Fix.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blais

Buy yours today for the low, low price of just $699.99
WOW, That's HAWT!!!! Yes please, put me down for TWO!!!
Following the success of the 'other' bikes I assume that I'll have to join a queue for delivery of such a fine bike. Will the agony be longer than 18 months??
Old 01-03-08, 08:19 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mezza
WOW, That's HAWT!!!! Yes please, put me down for TWO!!!
Following the success of the 'other' bikes I assume that I'll have to join a queue for delivery of such a fine bike. Will the agony be longer than 18 months??
OY! There's room for all me FINE LADIES! There's even an enhanced reception antenny for me XM radio!

YOO ROCK!
Old 01-03-08, 01:51 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Liked 95 Times in 79 Posts
This just gets better and better.

I'm all about building ridiculous bikes for fun and keeping it tongue-in-cheek ...
I've also worked pretty extensively with fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevlar/cf hybrid cloths, etc. and NONE of my work ended up looking like lumpy play-doh. I think if anything, seeing the finished type-9 or 10 (or whatever ) is discouraging for anyone interested in glassing.

Good glassing:

Uh... Well, you decide:
Hey , thanks. I've never seen that bike before. It looks like it's half alligator and half reindeer . I want to see more like that. But it looks lumpier than my work.

Does this builder have more in this genre?
Old 01-03-08, 01:52 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
It looks like it's half alligator and half reindeer .

It's a Chinese style dragon .

East Hill
Old 01-03-08, 01:58 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

LAWLS

Photo-sarcasm FTW!!

Here's a freebie.
My gracious girlfriend feels bad for you and asked me to draw a sketch of a non-headache causing, crank-forward, fairing-having, utility bike. She described what she wanted, I sketched it, and here's what we came out with:

See-through version:

In case you are wondering, it's based on a Rans recumbent. A project of this size would take me +/- a day and a half with all the materials gathered. Go take some fiberglassing courses, build something more like this and less like a bicycle/french fry/tuna chimera, and MAYBE someone will take you seriously.
That looks good, I like the panniers. But it's a recumbent, so it's really in a different category.
Old 01-23-08, 03:40 PM
foton
E -- m

Bikes: treks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This whole thread is a riot.
Old 01-23-08, 07:42 PM
Blais
Bruise collector

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mullet, Centurian Le Mans, a stripped Schwin, some random frames and parts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously, I ran out of my house and tipped over a car every time Hotbike posted a response.

..........^^.............
That's my bike on the left there.
Old 01-24-08, 11:03 AM
hotbike

Look at this, it's a water-tanker bike:

https://www.examiner.com/a-1177028~It...ater__too.html

"A group of young Peninsula designers who just wanted to have fun creating a new bicycle ended up making a funky-looking device that could help solve a health issue plaguing 1.1 billion people across the world.

Team Aquaduct, a five-member Peninsula squad consisting of design professionals from the Palo Alto- and San Francisco-based firm Ideo, created a bike in 2½ weeks that provides clean drinking water using only renewable energy.

Here’s how the Aquaduct bike works: Someone pedals the blue, tricycle-like machine to a water source such as a pond and fills a 20-gallon tank in the back of the bike. While riding back, the pedaling powers the water through a filtration device in the middle of the bike, and the filtered water is deposited in a two-gallon tank in front of the handlebars.

Last week, the bike won Google’s “Innovate or Die Pedal-Powered Machine Contest,” which challenged 102 teams across the country to create a pedal-powered solution to offset climate change...."
Old 01-24-08, 07:33 PM
Blais
Bruise collector

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mullet, Centurian Le Mans, a stripped Schwin, some random frames and parts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at this, it's a water-tanker bike:

https://www.examiner.com/a-1177028~It...ater__too.html

Now that's ****ing awesome.
Old 01-24-08, 11:13 PM
mastershake916

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personally I that there may have been better entries, but they won it since it looked better than everything else.

Last edited by mastershake916; 01-24-08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-25-08, 12:26 AM
Vissthew
I'll ride anything!

Bikes: Old 70's Puegeot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously.... You added a bunch of fiberglass to a low-end bike. You want to be taken seriously, i guess. Then you don't even take the time to put the cables UNDER all that fiber??? After all that weight, the cables are slapped on the side. There's no way you spend more than 20 minutes on that thing. Then in another picture you spray-painted it green. Come on dude.

BTW, I love that dragon bike. Especially in the back where it wraps around.
Old 01-25-08, 09:39 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Vissthew
.... you don't even take the time to put the cables UNDER all that fiber??? After all that weight, the cables are slapped on the side. ...
You are the first person to say the cables should have been routed under the fiberglass. I had thought of it, but I intended to use this bike as a "master copy" , and make molds from it to then make more of them. That's why I said it was a "prototype".
I have considered making a new bike with a fiberglass "I-Beam", instead of a closed "box-beam". Then the sides would be open, and I could use the exposed lower edge of the I-beam to hang batteries on.
So the batteries were the reason. I thought about putting the batteries inside the fiberglass, but I would have to choose between sealing them in, where they can't be changed, or loosing strength in the fiberglass beam.(by having openings with lids.)
The bike pictured was intended as a prototype, and could not be built in mass production exactly as it appears.
Remember the old saying: "Specifications subject to change without notice".
Old 01-25-08, 09:44 AM
garysol1 

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Hotbike...I have a quick personal question for you. How old are you and do you have any engineering back ground? You seem to have some really "interesting" thoughts on design. I am hoping to dive a little deeper into the man behind the machine...
Old 01-25-08, 09:47 AM
hotbike

Now that's ****ing awesome.
That water tanker really is awesome. I had considered the possibility of using Mellisa's design as a water tanker. Since it floats, it must be water-tight. If it's water tight, then it could hold water inside as well as outside.
That's another reason I did NOT put holes in the fiberglass to route the cables inside. There would be water leaking through the holes.

I like the water tanker bike even better than the Chinese Dragon bike. Maybe there are three options: Earth, Wind, and Fire?
Old 01-25-08, 09:55 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by garysol1
Hotbike...I have a quick personal question for you. How old are you and do you have any engineering back ground? You seem to have some really "interesting" thoughts on design. I am hoping to dive a little deeper into the man behind the machine...

I am over 40. I studied Mechanical Engineering at the New York Institute of Technology, but left to Join the United States Navy. College was boring compared to the flight deck. In the picture above, I am standing next to the "Five Minute Alert Tomcat". I was constantly moving small model airplanes around on a plexiglass model of the Carrier, inside the Flight Deck Control room.
I earned an Airframers Liscence in the Navy, so I can build and fly my own aircraft.
Old 01-25-08, 10:30 AM
Fast Eddie
gravity speed freek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
suuuuuuuuwwwwwweeeeeeeeeet jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssss!!!!!!!1
tell me you are NOT flying aircraft......plleeeeaaaaase tell me you are NOT flying aircraft that you built yourself, good gawd man, think of the safety of others. you cant even rattle a can any of your "builds" how can you possibley think your gonna fly over ppl's homes???? now your scarin me man
fast eddie outty
Old 01-25-08, 10:34 AM
dewaday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody else see a striking similarity between Type 9, and Plan 9?

Ed, Ed, is that you honey?
Old 01-25-08, 11:11 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I am over 40. I studied Mechanical Engineering at the New York Institute of Technology, but left to Join the United States Navy. College was boring compared to the flight deck. In the picture above, I am standing next to the "Five Minute Alert Tomcat". I was constantly moving small model airplanes around on a plexiglass model of the Carrier, inside the Flight Deck Control room.
I earned an Airframers Liscence in the Navy, so I can build and fly my own aircraft.
Nice to meet you, hotbike .

East Hill
Old 01-25-08, 11:37 AM
Fast Eddie
gravity speed freek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and ed wood reference, i love it! did you hear that vamipra died? and betty page is pretty close to leaving us from what i hear.
fast eddie outty
Old 01-25-08, 12:04 PM
edzo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
careful

it's called the Ouija board
Old 01-27-08, 06:34 PM
Blais
Bruise collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dewaday
Anybody else see a striking similarity between Type 9, and Plan 9?

Ed, Ed, is that you honey?
Wow. Nail on the ****ing head.
Old 01-27-08, 06:51 PM
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just saw and read this thread. I vomited soon afterward.

OK...so much for any more trips to the alt bike forum.
Old 01-29-08, 02:55 AM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is your product better than this?
Old 01-29-08, 09:44 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by urban_assault
I just saw and read this thread. I vomited soon afterward.

OK...so much for any more trips to the alt bike forum.
It's all innocent fun, trust me.

East Hill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.