Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

double legged kick stands

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 09:14 AM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's available? What's intended to hold a lot of weight? Do they come in different lengths for frames with different ground clearances (because ideally you want the weight support by both the wheels and the stand...not just one or the other)?
Old 01-23-08, 10:20 AM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All of them support the bike on the front wheel and the stand, raising the back wheel off the ground. There are two types: the ones that fastens to the rear axle (wheel-stand), usually dorky looking, but effective; and the ones that go where a regular kickstand does on the chainstays between the rear wheel and the bottom bracket (center-stand).

The wheel-stand is probably best for a cargo bike. A kick-stand is most convenient. And the center stand is a good compromise. Note that most motorcycles have both a kickstand and a center-stand. A center-stand or wheel-stand require a fairly level surface while a kickstand works on a wider variety of terrain.

There is also a rear kickstand that mounts at the rear axle, I guess you could call it the French Style as it was usually seen on French made bikes. Another term, by the way, for kickstand is side-stand.

All four types are available from places like Niagara Cycle Works, and Bike World USA, fairly cheaply (<$20). Both of those companies advertise on Amazon.
Old 01-23-08, 10:57 AM
mikepoole
procrastinating member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the ESGE double kickstand- both legs fold up on the same side. Holds plenty of weight but the footprint is only ~8", so when loading/unloading my 2 year-old from her rear seat it's till necessary to guard the bike against tipping. For inanimate cargo it's fine as long as the load is balanced. The legs come long enough that you should be able to cut them down to fit any reasonably-sized bike- since I normally park on pavement, I cut mine so that the bike sits on one wheel (front or back, depending on whether the rear is loaded or not) and the two legs. On soft ground the legs poke into the ground and the bike sits on both wheels and both legs...
Old 01-23-08, 12:18 PM
Rincewind8
Radfahrer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
(because ideally you want the weight support by both the wheels and the stand...not just one or the other)?
I suggest you have the legs of the kick-stand longer, so the bike is supported by the kick-stand and one of the wheels. Four contact points require a level surface to not be "tippy" - three contact points don't.
Old 01-23-08, 06:32 PM
vey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Pyramid Pro because it is simple and cheap. It is sort of okay because it is a lot better than the usual kickstand, but only 7" in width. If it was much wider I would probably strike my heel on it. Works like a motorsickle stand, but still a bit tippy when loading the baskets.

Not for sale in the US (that I can find) would be a front wheel stand. That is what I really want. I see them on the Singapore, Indian and English "low gravity" bikes.
Old 01-23-08, 09:52 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I ordered mine from Bike World USA, a few hours ago. I've been wanting one for quite awhile. My bike (with it's conventional style kickstand) isn't too stable when loading the Wald "paperboy" baskets. I'm hoping this will eliminate the problem.

https://www.bikeworldusa.com/product_...roducts_id/927
Old 01-23-08, 10:39 PM
mstrpete
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can vouch for the rear-axle mount "French" stand, esp. with the Wald paperboy baskets. the only trick is to keep that axle bolt tight, or the stand will tend to walk out of perpendicular with the ground. I've also seen both a regular and French stand on the same bike.
Old 01-24-08, 08:02 AM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rincewind8
I suggest you have the legs of the kick-stand longer, so the bike is supported by the kick-stand and one of the wheels. Four contact points require a level surface to not be "tippy" - three contact points don't.
Well, if the kickstand is spring loaded then it doesn't necessarily need level ground. I believe that's why single sided kickstands work well on uneven pavement. They flex until bearing the right amount of weight.

It just seems unsafe to pull the support out from under a heavily loaded bike (such as when kicking up a double legged kickstand that doesn't allow both wheels to touch the ground).

No wonder why utility bikes are so heavy. They are poorly designed. Why beef up a heavy kickstand and a heavy mounting point when the wheels are already beefed up to support loads? The wheels should support any loads. The kickstand should just balance the bike. How disappointing that they aren't designed this way.

Originally Posted by vey
Not for sale in the US (that I can find) would be a front wheel stand. That is what I really want. I see them on the Singapore, Indian and English "low gravity" bikes.
Worksman makes bikes like this. I've heard they are pretty accommodating so they may be willing to sell you the front wheel stand separately (or even build you a custom one). Give them a call:
https://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s.../indbikes.html
Old 01-24-08, 10:25 AM
mikepoole
procrastinating member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[...]
It just seems unsafe to pull the support out from under a heavily loaded bike (such as when kicking up a double legged kickstand that doesn't allow both wheels to touch the ground).
[...]

Done on millions of motorcycles, every day. You're just making the transition from a self-balanced object to one that you have to balance...
Old 01-24-08, 10:53 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 76 Posts
What's available? What's intended to hold a lot of weight? Do they come in different lengths for frames with different ground clearances (because ideally you want the weight support by both the wheels and the stand...not just one or the other)?

Here is a close-up photo of my recumbent chainline. I have a Swedish made Center-stand. Or double kickstand. I prefer to call it a centerstand.
Old 01-25-08, 01:04 PM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikepoole
Done on millions of motorcycles, every day. You're just making the transition from a self-balanced object to one that you have to balance...
How is that so? If the rear wheel is off the ground then you need to lift the bike, kick up the stand, and then place the bike on the ground. What if you can't lift it? What do folks do with heavy motorcycles that are designed like this?

"Just making the transition from a self-balanced object to one that you have to balance" is exactly what I'm after, but I'm failing to understand how a stand which holds a wheel off the ground can be described as such.
Old 01-25-08, 01:14 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is that so? If the rear wheel is off the ground then you need to lift the bike, kick up the stand, and then place the bike on the ground. What if you can't lift it? What do folks do with heavy motorcycles that are designed like this?
You rock a motorcycle up on the stand. You can do the same with something like an Esge double-stand (push the stand down until it touches the ground, then pull the bike backwards to lock it out), or pick the front wheels up.
Old 01-25-08, 01:31 PM
Rincewind8
Radfahrer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some double legged/center/main stands for motorcycles have an "extra lever arm" attached. To get the motorbike onto the stand, you push the stand down, balance the motorcycle that both legs of the stand touch the ground and then you put your weight onto the end of that extra lever arm, while you pull the motorcycle back(wards).

Here is an example of how that lever arm looks like:
Old 01-25-08, 07:32 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"Just making the transition from a self-balanced object to one that you have to balance" is exactly what I'm after, but I'm failing to understand how a stand which holds a wheel off the ground can be described as such.
To take it off the stand you just roll it forward. Easy. Putting it on the stand can sometimes be a bit of a trial because you have to lift it as you roll it back. But even fully loaded your bicycle is not going to weigh 800 pounds like some motorcycles do. The trick with them is to get the bike rolling backwards and then push down the stand. With any luck the motorbike rolls right up onto it.
Old 01-28-08, 10:25 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mounted my new center stand today. The bike actually balances on the stand and rear wheel. Also, it hangs pretty low, just about cutting ground clearance in half. Not a problem in my case, but may be for others. It's going to prove to be the cat's pajama's when loading the baskets with goodies!
Old 01-29-08, 11:30 PM
BikeManDan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry the Hebie double leg kickstand at https://www.bikefront.com/products/st...leg)_kickstand

Very durable, very stable
Old 01-30-08, 08:02 AM
vey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Also, it hangs pretty low, just about cutting ground clearance in half. Not a problem in my case, but may be for others."

For a bike that stays on pavement or hard grass, I can't imagine why it would be a problem. I suppose in thick sand, it could be.
Old 01-30-08, 11:35 AM
EricJ

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Comp w/FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How would a center stand like this work with an Xtracycle? Would you use a longer bolt and mount Xtracycle frame and centerstand? Sounds like that could be a problem, but I just ordered the Xtracycle and don't know exactly what the pieces look like.
Old 01-30-08, 11:27 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I had one on my Giant touring bike when I got it. I was real heavy, like about 2 kilos. I ended up taking it off.
Old 02-01-08, 01:53 AM
Atomic Cow
You can call me "Fred"

Bikes: Fredded Specialized Crosswinds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an alloy double kickstand on Amazon that's both cheaper and lighter than the heavy steel ones. About $27 delivered.
Old 02-01-08, 03:14 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I prefer a stand that allows cranks to be rotated while the bike is on it. With 1 leg stands this often means the stand is mounted near the rear axle. Being able to rotate cranks and spin the rear wheel (without having to turn the bike upside down) can be handy for quick on-the-road repairs and check-ups, especially on tours.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 02-01-08, 08:02 AM
vey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I had one on my Giant touring bike when I got it. I was real heavy, like about 2 kilos. I ended up taking it off."

And I'll bet you ride 10 more miles per hour because it is gone. C'mon. On a utility bike, especially one like mine that can carry 2-300 kilos, a couple more won't be noticed. Don't be fooled by the marketing and racing hyperbole.
Old 02-01-08, 11:09 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
I prefer a stand that allows cranks to be rotated while the bike is on it. With 1 leg stands this often means the stand is mounted near the rear axle. Being able to rotate cranks and spin the rear wheel (without having to turn the bike upside down) can be handy for quick on-the-road repairs and check-ups, especially on tours.

--J
In North America, we have a real lack of good kickstands. We have to take what we can get - and it's usually pretty spendy. I wish Wald would come out with better ones than what they sell. (Their products are all made in the U.S.)
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 02-01-08, 11:32 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
In North America, we have a real lack of good kickstands. We have to take what we can get - and it's usually pretty spendy. I wish Wald would come out with better ones than what they sell. (Their products are all made in the U.S.)
Not quite "all"...I just purchased one of their 935 baskets (very nice basket btw) The bracket is made in the US but the basket is from China Good stuff costs money, unfortunately, but the Hebie looks to be a nice unit, and I plan to order one for my Staiger. But even at that price it is a lot cheaper than buying parts for my truck

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-01-08, 11:53 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's good to know, Aaron. Thanks for the info.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.