Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Re: Titanium frames - what does springy/lively mean?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 05:36 AM
fueledbymetal

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix & CAAD9, Singlespeed Seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been reading some threads here on titanium bikes and I often see titanium bikes being described as having a springy or lively feel relative to something like carbon fiber. What exactly does this mean?
Old 01-26-08, 05:39 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the frame flexes one way it flexes right back the other way so little energy feels 'lost'. Unlike early Alan aluminum frames that were just flexy noodies.
Old 01-26-08, 06:20 AM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, a little flex with a relatively high inherent material resonant frequency provides that "springy" feel. Just how much energy is really lost is debatable. However, most people don't like chain rub (me included) so, the frame (especially the bottom bracket area) needs to be stiff enough to avoid this. The typical carbon material has a different resonance profile, therefore exhibits a more damped sensation. Of course both type bikes can be noodles, and both type bikes can be super stiff depending on the design.
Old 01-26-08, 09:01 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by rnhood
Just how much energy is really lost is debatable.
It's even debatable if any energy is lost at all, but I agree that chain rub is a big factor. I'm a lightweight, so I don't have the problem, but I can say that I seem to feel a slight difference when compared to my former steel and aluminum frames. It could be psychological.
Old 01-26-08, 09:07 AM
zencadance
Banned

Bikes: litespeed, MASTER X LITE, trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a stiffer Ti bike but really compared to my other bikes the only thing I see as different is more smoothness.I think so much of this whole bike feel thing is marketing hype,your wheels,your weight.
Old 01-26-08, 11:02 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
I've been reading some threads here on titanium bikes and I often see titanium bikes being described as having a springy or lively feel relative to something like carbon fiber. What exactly does this mean?
Springy lively like carbon???? Carbon feels nothing like that. It feels stiff and dead like a piece of wood.
Old 01-26-08, 11:31 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Springy lively like carbon???? Carbon feels nothing like that. It feels stiff and dead like a piece of wood.
That's a pretty poor analogy.

Old 01-26-08, 11:41 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Springy/lively ~ flexy/mushy
Old 01-26-08, 12:04 PM
arterture

Bikes: an amazing Fuji Newest 3.0!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
The key word was relative to carbon.
Old 01-26-08, 01:58 PM
agilis
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Felt FC Custom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arterture
The key word was relative to carbon.
A compact geometry Ti bike was the best combination I've found. Lively, but stiff. That's why after 2 aluminum frames, and 4 carbon frames, I settled on my Merlin Agilis. Compact geometry, beefy seat stays, and just enough bottom bracket flex under my 190 lb sprinter's physique. Love it.
Old 01-26-08, 02:05 PM
deadly downtube
mountain troll

Bikes: the hummer brand mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when people spend buckets of cash on their bicycle frames, they tend to get a little kooky and talk about their frame like it's not just a hunk of metal...
Old 01-26-08, 02:40 PM
agilis
Get off my lawn!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deadly downtube
when people spend buckets of cash on their bicycle frames, they tend to get a little kooky and talk about their frame like it's not just a hunk of metal...
I'm betting the team of craftsmen that designed, developed, fabricated, welded, and finished my frame would take slight offense to your hunk of metal comment.

Oh yeah... buckets of cash? I paid less for my Merlin frame than I did my last 2 carbon frames. So I'm not just trying to justify cost.
Old 01-26-08, 02:44 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Springy/lively ~ flexy/mushy
Partially correct, and that's not always a bad thing on a bicycle, far from it. For MTBs, road bikes that won't be racing, etc, that's potentially a great characteristic. And it is possible to make an outstanding race frame from Ti - my Ibis Ti Road's a good example- that's mushy where you want it to be (rear triangle) and stiff where you need it to be (BB), laterally in the front end.
Old 01-26-08, 02:52 PM
bitterken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
And it is possible to make an outstanding race frame from Ti
Indeed.

The Rite Aid domestic team races on Merlin Works CR Ti frames, as do a couple of development teams in the UK. By using shaped tubes and beefing up the important areas, you can get Ti to be light AND stiff (though not cheap )
Old 01-26-08, 03:06 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Partially correct, and that's not always a bad thing on a bicycle, far from it. For MTBs, road bikes that won't be racing, etc, that's potentially a great characteristic. And it is possible to make an outstanding race frame from Ti - my Ibis Ti Road's a good example- that's mushy where you want it to be (rear triangle) and stiff where you need it to be (BB), laterally in the front end.
Didn't say it was good or bad. As you say, it depends on the intended use.
Old 01-26-08, 03:21 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

My Ibis Ti Road and Cdale Six13 are very different bicycles. The Ibis Ti better for long distance rides/training, still good for racing. That's partly because it is a slightly larger frame size - 56cm vs. 57cm with a 1 cm longer effective TT. I can stretch out and get long a bit better on the Ibis. The Cdale is a bit more compact, really better for racing. Love how the two bikes feel, enjoy swapping back and forth. I think I'll always have a Ti road bike though, and God willing, it may be this Ibis. It has lasted 12 years so far, and hopefully it will never crack.

Like my pal Rich says boys. Once you get over three grand, none of it sucks too bad.
Old 01-26-08, 03:26 PM
garysol1 

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I have never owned a Ti bike before and I have never really given Litespeed's much thought there new Archon does make me rethink a bit of that. It is one SEXY bike.

Old 01-26-08, 05:47 PM
bigskyTi

Bikes: LS Archon T1, LS Ghisallo, QR TiPhoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it depends on who you talk to, but I can really tell the differnce between my Ti frames and the Al and Al/carbon frames i've owned. I've never been on a full carbon ride because I've really had a desire for a 'stiff' ride. I enjoy the 'spring' on both my road frame and my TT frame as I relly feel like you get into a rythm with the bike.

As far as chain rub, I've never had a problem and I go 175-185lbs and can sprint pretty well. All that on a Ghisallo XL which is supposed to be a 'flexy' frame.

Just see if you can get out and ride one. You will either love it or hate it.
Old 01-26-08, 06:34 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by agilis
A compact geometry Ti bike was the best combination I've found. Lively, but stiff. That's why after 2 aluminum frames, and 4 carbon frames, I settled on my Merlin Agilis. Compact geometry, beefy seat stays, and just enough bottom bracket flex under my 190 lb sprinter's physique. Love it.
*nods head in agreement*
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-26-08, 06:39 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have bud with a Merlin ti compact. Beautiful bike with engraving and the works. REAL nice looking. But he says it sucks compared to his steel Pegorrettis.
Old 01-26-08, 06:57 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
I have never owned a Ti bike before and I have never really given Litespeed's much thought there new Archon does make me rethink a bit of that. It is one SEXY bike.

+1, that sure is a sweet looking bike.
Old 01-26-08, 06:58 PM
agilis
Get off my lawn!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I have bud with a Merlin ti compact. Beautiful bike with engraving and the works. REAL nice looking. But he says it sucks compared to his steel Pegorrettis.
If I'm doing a long rolling or flat ride with a full pack... smelling the flowers... stopping at cafe's... and doing 100 miles of touring per day I can see why a steelie would be the bike of choice. Very plush ride. But for the type of riding i do... steel wouldn't do for me full time. No disrespect to Pegorrettis... they are sweet... but I need a lighter and more nimble frame. To each his own though. But "suck?"... that may be stretching a bit.
Old 01-26-08, 11:49 PM
Cyclcist4879
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Moots is the most satisfying feel I've ever had in 35 years of cycling. I can't say if its softer, stiffer, faster, or anything else. I can tell you that when I push on it - it goes. And it makes me smile every time, even under the stress of "battle".

My advice is to purchase whatever bike/component that makes you feel good. If it encourages you to get out and "do it" - its worth it.
Old 01-27-08, 04:06 PM
RC2

Bikes: Specialized, Moots, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=masshoff;6057676]My Moots is the most satisfying feel I've ever had in 35 years of cycling./QUOTE]

+1 (in 25 years of cycling). Just finished building a VaMoots.

I'd describe the feel not as springy, but as lively, really much like stiff steel. Going over something like a rough expansion joint -- on a typical carbon fiber frame you'd feel something like 'thud-thud' (front/back wheel), Al is probably a 'whack-whack', vs. the Ti is more like 'zinnng-zinnnnng'.
Old 01-27-08, 04:10 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

There's nothing quite like a Ti racing bike. CF bikes may be lighter and stiffer. They may offer a slight edge in performance. But Ti bikes blow them away in feel. What's that worth? Arguably that's all there is. The best combination may be a Ti bike for training and a CF bike for racing. That's what I have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.