Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best groupset (mix n match)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 10:35 PM
markyore
markyore

Bikes: Specailized s-works E5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, just wondering what YOU THINK is the best availabe groupset. By this I mean taking components from either SRAM, Shimano or Campy (and for brakes and cranks other suppliers) and mixing the best of each groupo to get the best overall groupset!
Old 02-01-08, 10:44 PM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM Red cassette.
SRAM Doubletap shifters.
Shimano DuraAce brakes.
Shimano XTR rear derailleur (yeah, I know it's an MTB bit, but it's great for a climbing bike) --unfortunately, although fixes exist, the use of the shifters I named sorta precludes this
I'm kinda partial to a couple brands of hubs: Chris King, Phil Wood, and Shimano Dura Ace
Cranks? Hmmm....I've never been really happier with one over another, since Campy changed their finish. I would be tempted to say the old C-Record or a Mavic 631 or a Stronglight, but none come with an outboard bearing bottom bracket. Shimano's probably got the technical aspects down for this one, or maybe the new Red, but I don't really have strong opinions here.
Front derailleur? Anything, as long as it works, although again, the Shimano XTR is ahead, but this time on looks

Last edited by oopfoo; 02-01-08 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 10:52 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oopfoo
SRAM Red cassette.
SRAM Doubletap shifters.
Shimano DuraAce brakes.
Shimano XTR rear derailleur (yeah, I know it's an MTB bit, but it's great for a climbing bike) --unfortunately, although fixes exist, the use of the shifters I named sorta precludes this
climbing bike...fla... hehe
Old 02-01-08, 11:01 PM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam83
Well, yeah. But nothing says I can't cross state lines on occasion.
Old 02-01-08, 11:02 PM
markyore
markyore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe a 'shiftmate' would make this work! anyhow for climbing you can run a 28 rear cassette on shimano rear derailleurs, although shimano says you cant!
Old 02-01-08, 11:02 PM
Stallionforce

Bikes: 05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Record

/end thread
Old 02-01-08, 11:07 PM
markyore
markyore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the climbing like in TN? was going to tell ye all to come up to NH for the Mt Washington hillclimb but I just noticed it sold out in about 2 seconds ($300 entry fee!!!!) oh well.....you can still come up and ride it after dark (bust be full moon)
Old 02-01-08, 11:10 PM
veggiemafia
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic 631
That's a hot crank right there.
Old 02-01-08, 11:33 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 56 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Stallionforce
Record

/end thread
Yep.
Old 02-01-08, 11:37 PM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are we talking cost is no object??

In that case things change a bit, but for the price the Rival brakes are a lot lighter than the Ultegras for not much more money, and almost as light as DA, if the listed weights are accurate.
Old 02-01-08, 11:45 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
campy centaur with chorus shifters. my personal favorite bang for the buck balance of performance and value.
Old 02-02-08, 12:16 AM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markyore
Whats the climbing like in TN? was going to tell ye all to come up to NH for the Mt Washington hillclimb but I just noticed it sold out in about 2 seconds ($300 entry fee!!!!) oh well.....you can still come up and ride it after dark (bust be full moon)
Many 7000"-15000" centuries within 200 miles of Chattanooga. No Mt Washington, but if you want more than a 7-mile ride, we've got plenty of centuries that feature many as long or much longer climbs that exceed 15% and Brasstown Bald at > 20%.
Old 02-02-08, 12:33 AM
markyore
markyore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was just kidding. Honestly at times I wish I lived somewhere flatter but more recently I've become accustomed to climbing! I've never climbed Washington, the closest I’ve come is probably Mt Ascutney in Vermont (its approx 1/2 the distance as Washington with a similar profile). Its funny, I find on unrelenting climbs like these (Ascutney is avg 12% for 3.5 miles touching 20% grade in places) I find its the underused muscled that give in first.......you would think your legs would quit on you but there is just as good a chance that your arms will as your not used to being out of the saddle pulling on the bars for so long.
Old 02-02-08, 12:38 AM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the steeper sections my computer regularly shuts off thinking I must have stopped.
Old 02-02-08, 12:55 AM
markyore
markyore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the steeper sections my computer regularly shuts off thinking I must have stopped.
Computer.....good lord man that at least an extra 60g you could shed on a climb that steep
Old 02-02-08, 12:56 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All Campy or All Shimano. The stuffs been engineered to work as a system so it works the best. Never had much luck when I used different chains, cassettes or cranks. Can't comment on Sram because I don't have too much experience with it.

But at the end of the day, the best group is what your sponsors pay you to ride. And if you buy your own stuff, well, go out and get some Campy Record.
Old 02-02-08, 04:13 AM
agilis
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Felt FC Custom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full Dura Ace with a SRAM Force Compact on mine. Live in the Western NC Mountains... lots of climbing. The Force crank works well with the DA, looks great... and is light.
Old 02-02-08, 04:31 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I somehow read the title as "groupsex"... looks like I was right
Old 02-02-08, 09:09 AM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markyore
Ok, just wondering what YOU THINK is the best availabe groupset. By this I mean taking components from either SRAM, Shimano or Campy (and for brakes and cranks other suppliers) and mixing the best of each groupo to get the best overall groupset!
Mine

Shimano 7800 (10 speed bar cons, f/r derailleurs)
Shimano 6600 (bottom bracket, chain, cassette)
Shimano 6600 hubs/Mavic OP rims with GP 4 Season 28c
Shimano R600 (crankset, brake levers/calipers)
Shimano R600 wheelset with GP 4000 23c