Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

NAHBS - A thank you to Portland!

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 01:12 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

As I mentioned over in the thread in C&V:

I want to extend my thanks to all of Portland's cyclists for the warm welcome and great vacation that is sadly ending tomorrow morning. I have had an absolutely wonderful time here this weekend. Everyone from the native frame builders to the local cyclists of every type have been wonderful. I was even loaned a folder by one bikeforums member here locally and got to take a short ride this evening with donnamb around the area. The weather may not have been all that sunny, but the hospitality more than made up for it. So, thank you all. If anyone is travling in the DFW area, I hope to be able to do the same for any of you.
Old 02-11-08, 10:39 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I will second that!

I had a GREAT time. I know that if I had been there for multiple days, I would have been able to do a lot more .

But I did get to sit on a tallbike , and meet many many BF members .

East Hill
Old 02-11-08, 12:35 PM
ripa
51.8977°N 8.4711°W

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I want to extend a huge thanks to the city of Portland and the BF members who I met at the show. The hospitality was great, the people were more than helpful, the bike culture in Portland is over the top, and finally the bikes were GORGEOUSE, both those inside the show and parked outside. I only wish I could have stayed longer. I’m already looking forward to next year in Indianapolis.
Old 02-11-08, 01:32 PM
mike_khad1
Commuter Animal

Bikes: 2006 Burley Hudson, 2008 Specialized Globe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I attended and I had a great time.
Old 02-11-08, 03:36 PM
themickeyd
Got Bent?

Bikes: Rans F5 Enduro XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My time at the convention was short but I loved every minute of it. Could have spent a lot more time there but last minute change had me bringing my 3 year old along and he didn't have quite the desire to sit and look at bikes as much as I did. I loved the amount of cargo bikes on display, Ant Cycles was one I really wanted to see. The one that I found the most interesting was the Baskfit (sp?) on display, I believe it was a local builder. My son loved the "spider man" bike (open frame carbon web mountain bike).
Old 02-11-08, 10:12 PM
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife Kasia and I attended the show on Saturday. It was crowded, but we had a total blast. So many interesting bicycles!

I think my favorite was the fat-tired Moots -- it looked like the love child of a hard-tail mountain bike and a monster truck.
Old 02-12-08, 12:13 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I really enjoyed my time at the show. I was running around Portland most of the weekend and noticed that the bike lanes are *much* better marked than they are in Seattle, and I saw a fair number of people using them. It was great, in particular, seeing the local Oregon builders (plus one from Seattle) at the show.

Also, visited a great local bike shop, Veloce Bicycles on Portland, with a very knowledgeable and friendly owner...I'm assuming all the local Portland folks know this place:

https://www.velocebicycles.com/

I was impressed by all the really ridable bikes at the show -- there were a few semi-crazy "show specials," of course, but a ton of the bikes were "real bikes" and lots of bikes with racks, lights, fenders; bikes meant for the "real world," not just the show floor.

The bike that I am still thinking about was not very flashy; it was a very utilitarian bike in the Rohloff booth -- a titanium Independent Fabrication cyclocross bike, with S&S couplers, disc brakes, and a Rohloff integrated hub. $$$$$, but what a useful bike.
Old 02-12-08, 03:35 AM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a big crush on Portland.
Old 02-12-08, 03:02 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Come visit us for Pedalpalooza.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 02-15-08, 12:44 AM
Hollywould
Groadie

Bikes: DeRosa, Trek fixie, Surly Cross Check, Niner SIR9 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
excellent show, excellent town.

Loved the bikes, beer, coffee and the Max.

Yamhill Pub? yowza.

HW in SoCal