Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Front tire clipping my toe when I turn

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Front tire clipping my toe when I turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 12:06 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe cages or moving the cleats back? You might be able to alter your foot placement on the pedal slightly but this can lead to other problems as you ride longer distances.
Old 03-07-08, 12:39 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I have a lot of overlap on my fixed gear.
There is only one place it is a problem, on an uphill sharp u-turn I make to get on a bicycle freeway overpass.
I just take it slow and wide and check first that on one is coming the other way.
If it was not uphill I could skip the tires and get the cranks lined up right for the turn, but when I try that I loose too much speed to make the turn smoothly.

Al
Old 03-07-08, 07:56 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You don't need a new bike.You can adjust your existing bike to help eliminate the problem.I've had that problem when wearing snow boots.
Try raising the seat a bit more so you are pedalling with the front of your foot intead of the ball of your foot.That way your toes don't stick out as much.
It worked for me.
Old 03-08-08, 09:20 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe overlap is a problem I have on all my 700c wheeled fendered bikes. I ride a 52cm frame on most bikes, and that's going to happen. I don't have big feet(9.5 US) but big wheels and small frame sizes don't mix. In a perfect world, more road bikes would have smaller wheels.
Old 03-09-08, 01:23 AM
meeshu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foot too far forward on pedal?

I had some excitement recently when I was trying to make a turn on my hybrid bike with 700 x 38c tires.

I was at a T intersection on a main road and wanting to turn into the side road. I had slowed down to almost a crawl to wait for traffic in the opposite lane to clear. When I saw a gap in the traffic, I started the turn and tried to pedal, but the toe of my shoe hit the front wheel! Wheel stopped turning. The bike stopped. And there was a bus coming towards me(!). The bus was about 200 feet away and not moving fast. So if I had fallen down, the bus would have had time to stop.

One or two swear words later, I quickly recovered by accelerating the bike using the other pedal and making sure my first shoe was placed properly on the pedal (ball of foot).

My shoe was positioned too far forward on the pedal (possibly as far as my heel?). I don't use clips or cleats, I just use sports shoes for cycling.

BTW, I'm 6'2", wear size 12 shoes, and the bike is about 51 cm size (just a bit on the small size for me, but rideable).
Old 03-09-08, 05:36 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meeshu
Foot too far forward on pedal?
BTW, I'm 6'2", wear size 12 shoes, and the bike is about 51 cm size (just a bit on the small size for me, but rideable).

6'2" on a 51cm? Yeah, I'd say it's a big small. :-)
Old 03-09-08, 05:32 PM
meeshu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Correction. The bike seems small because I have the saddle positioned almost right down on the seat tube.

51 cm may appear small, but this hybrid bike has a different geometry compared to most other bikes. If I raise the saddle about 3 inches I can barely reach the pedals! And the saddle can be raised even further! This would suggest that even taller riders (up to around 6'6" or so) could ride the bike also!

The flat handle bar position can also be adjusted horizontally and vertically to suit different riders.

Since I have big feet, I have to be careful where I place my feet on the pedals so that I don't hit the front tires when making tight turns.
Old 03-09-08, 07:22 PM
Brian T
still commuting......

Bikes: Trek 930, 97&00 Trek 6000 Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Txthroop
Do other folks have that problem? I have almost crashed many times and I'm getting tired of it. I have a RedLine 'cross bike and size 11 feet. Is there anything I can do to eliminate this problem? If I need to get a different bike what type would you recommend? I'm thinking touring frame, especially since I like to run fenders, but will even a touring bike have enough clearance for fenders?

-Chris
I have a Redline Conquest as well. I have the same problem and I wear size 8 shoes.
Old 03-09-08, 09:47 PM
hurrikaane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis Aurora 58cm, size 12 shoes, fenders = toe overlap.
Old 03-25-08, 09:03 PM
Txthroop 

Bikes: Trek 930, Redline Conquest, Surly LHT, Surly Troll

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I'm looking for a new commuter bike and I hate dealing with toe overlap. I've been looking at bikes and I think I'm going to go with the Surly LHT (or another touring frame) mostly so that I can put fenders on the thing and not worry about timing my turns or crashing in parking lots due to TO. Call me unsophisticated but I want to be able to forget my bike and enjoy the ride.
The LHT in a 54cm has 26" wheels and if that's not going to make enough room than I don't know what would. I tried the Cross Check but it's just not quite enough clearance.

Last edited by Txthroop; 03-25-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-26-08, 01:47 AM
Cadfael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Txthroop
Do other folks have that problem? I have almost crashed many times and I'm getting tired of it. I have a RedLine 'cross bike and size 11 feet. Is there anything I can do to eliminate this problem? If I need to get a different bike what type would you recommend? I'm thinking touring frame, especially since I like to run fenders, but will even a touring bike have enough clearance for fenders?

-Chris
I know this may sound basic, and I don't wish to insult you, but given you have not said if you are using some form of strap or clip, or whether you are flat pedals I will just mention this.

With a flat pedal, you should position your foot so that the widest part of the foot is sitting over the axle of the pedal. For me at least this means the pedal is sitting quite forward on my foot.
Old 03-26-08, 04:17 AM
SOS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only had this happen when riding on other people's bikes that were too small for me. Of course, pedal-to-wheel distance does not necessarily change much with a different bike size. On my current bike, I could only make it happen if I pedaled with the arch of my foot over the pedal. I ride clipless, so that never happens. If your bike fits then maybe your foot position is odd/bad?
Old 03-26-08, 05:14 AM
lisitsa

Bikes: Old 12-speed commuter, When I earn enough I'll get a fixed KHS flite 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah this problem was unbearable for me. But it was because I crashed and bent my fork backwards but perfectly straight. I rode on it for 3 weeks, but then succumbed and bought a new fork with some nice rake (fork curved forwards to give more clearance and more suspension). If its your only ride, I reckon fix the problem. Little things like this can really get on your nerves, and you can get new forks or a 650c wheel quite cheap these days.
Old 10-28-11, 05:30 PM
alanrogers
commuter

Bikes: Surly Long-haul trucker; Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toe clearance on surley lht

Several of these posts have suggested that a touring bike might solve the problem of toes striking the front wheel on slow turns. I recently added fenders to my new Surley LHT (58cm), and the toe-strike problem is bothering me a lot. When the crank arm is forward and the wheel is turned, the distance from center of pedal to fender is 3.375 in--not enough for my size-13 feet.
Old 10-28-11, 05:41 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, my father-in-law had the same experience with the Surly LHT and his size 11 feet. He was test riding a bunch of bikes before his last tour and said that all of the Surlys that he rode had toe overlap, which is a deal breaker for him.

Both of my non-mountain bikes have toe overlap, but it doesn't bother me. Be mindful of keeping your inside pedal back and your outside pedal forward during turns, and it eventually becomes muscle memory or something; I no longer think about it, anyway.
Old 10-28-11, 08:34 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
I wear mens size 9.5 shoes and ride a women's 54cm road bike. Yes, I have toe overlap when I try to do a U-turn on a narrow road. I also can't "slalom" up steep grades going from curb to curb.

My fix: dismount and do pivot turns, ride a straight[er] line up hills like I should anyhow [or walk], just deal with sharp/hairpin turns as needed.