Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Raleigh Twenty owner

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

New Raleigh Twenty owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 09:33 AM
saanichbc
Hello from Canuckistan!

Bikes: Surly LHT, natch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Raleigh Twenty owner

Hiya folks... I just purchased a Raleigh Twenty folder that will be my next bike build project. I am going to end up "hot rodding" this particular bike, much the same as had Huw has with his. He is going to be a valuable source for my build project. I'm going to put together a web site to provide a "blow by blow" during the build for anyone who may be interested.

Anyway, if I can figure it out, I will include a pic here of what the R-20 looked like when I first got it.

Thanks folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
t_twenty-003.jpg (16.5 KB, 192 views)
Old 08-18-07, 11:14 AM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by saanichbc
Hiya folks... I just purchased a Raleigh Twenty folder that will be my next bike build project. I am going to end up "hot rodding" this particular bike, much the same as had Huw has with his. He is going to be a valuable source for my build project. I'm going to put together a web site to provide a "blow by blow" during the build for anyone who may be interested.

Anyway, if I can figure it out, I will include a pic here of what the R-20 looked like when I first got it.

Thanks folks!
Congratulations! The dark green is a good Raleigh color. I had mine repainted black to match my full size Raleigh Superbe and I love it. Get some alloy rims and good tires and its a fast folder. It really holds up well for a 70s era bike.
Old 08-18-07, 12:48 PM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks folks!
Droool.... That's a nice looking bike. How come most of the British versions I find on ebay look like something the cat dragged in?
Old 08-18-07, 06:12 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
It looks to nice to Hotrod.
Old 08-19-07, 09:54 PM
'72 superbe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! I have been working on my Twenty for months and have completed the build recently. Have fun with the your new Twenty. Researching is important on this bike. The bottom bracket and fork need special attention. Enjoy!
Old 08-20-07, 08:19 AM
saanichbc
Hello from Canuckistan!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I got another for my wife yesterday, and will be picking up another to leave completely stock later today. Geez... it's raining 20's here lately!
Old 08-21-07, 02:44 AM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The day will come when all R20 owners will meet somewhere...sometime, and take over the roads of maybe London or New York or even Melbourne for a blast of a ride...till then, what about each country forming a club and producing a report each month on their bikes, events etc ?

I vote Jur as the Aussie president of the R20 CLUB
Old 08-21-07, 09:16 AM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's a nice idea. But I'm a lazy-arse and would be a terrible events secretary...
Old 08-21-07, 04:29 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stevegor
The day will come when all R20 owners will meet somewhere...sometime, and take over the roads of maybe London or New York or even Melbourne for a blast of a ride...till then, what about each country forming a club and producing a report each month on their bikes, events etc ?

If it involves any work besides sweating on an R20, then I respectfully decline
Old 08-21-07, 05:59 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that picture is sure a modem burner. Much too big.

Congratulations. Have fun with it.
Old 08-21-07, 08:47 PM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
It's a nice idea. But I'm a lazy-arse and would be a terrible events secretary...

..............and LittlePixel as Governor of the World body of R20 owners

Me and my grandiose ideas of things abnormal
Old 10-26-07, 08:35 AM
saanichbc
Hello from Canuckistan!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiya... long time since I posted here.

I just picked up my R20 frame from my local bike shop, where they performed a fair number of mod changes to the frame. Took it down to a local powder coating shop to have a new colour applied to the frame. They tell me it will take a few weeks before I will see the finished product. Will keep you posted as to the status of the build. I am also tossing together a web site which will provide a blow by blow on the build, and will also include a list of all frame mods and parts.

Stay tuned....
Old 10-26-07, 04:24 PM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hiya... long time since I posted here.

I just picked up my R20 frame from my local bike shop, where they performed a fair number of mod changes to the frame. Took it down to a local powder coating shop to have a new colour applied to the frame. They tell me it will take a few weeks before I will see the finished product. Will keep you posted as to the status of the build. I am also tossing together a web site which will provide a blow by blow on the build, and will also include a list of all frame mods and parts.

Stay tuned....
Stop teasing us and drop some hints on the mods you're going to do!!
Old 03-17-08, 05:13 AM
yohannrjm
There's a biking season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about hijacking this thread, but I thought a new 'I just got a Raleigh Twenty' thread would be too much.

Anyway, after much waffling, I bought myself a nice Raleigh Twenty (my first!). I still haven't figured out how old it is, but it was in relatively good shape. Some paint loss on the frame, but no rust. A little rust on the chainguard and on the underside of the fenders. Parts seem to be all original, some of the nuts still have the 'R' sticker on them.

I couldn't believe how heavy it was to start off. Almost made me regret buying it. Then I rode it around, and really liked it. So I decided to keep it, and make a few changes.

I switched the original Brooks saddle and seatpost for an alloy seatpost, and much lighter saddle. I removed the fenders for the moment. I changed the original tyres for new Schwalbe Marathons (narrower too). Changed the brake-pads to Kool-Stop ones. Also, I changed the chain, and serviced the gears, so that they work better. I'm going to have to overhaul the internal hub, but I'm not sure how to do that.

I bought a new front BMX alloy wheel, and realised what people were referring to when they talked about the need for filing and cold-setting the fork. I'm in two minds about filing the dropouts, but I may go ahead with that. I was wondering if I could get away with no lock-nuts on the axle so I don't have to cold-set the fork. I don't want to damage the bike, if at all possible. It would be nice to lose one of the heavy steel wheels (I can't afford a rear one yet).

Anyway, with the minimal changes I've already made, the bike is significantly lighter. I took her for a spin yesterday, and it is a lovely ride. No regrets now.
Old 03-17-08, 12:36 PM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
To work out the age of the bike just check the numbers stamped on the rear hub, it should say something like 07 71 meaning July 1971. More than likely it will be the original hub.
Old 03-17-08, 07:27 PM
yohannrjm
There's a biking season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the hub actually says 70-7 (three digits only). So I guess that makes it a 1970 (July) hub. - Thanks Stevegor

Anyway, I'm going to have to buy a metal file and file down the front dropouts. I'm unhappy about having to spread the fork to fit the wheel (with locknuts) in, but you do what you have to.
Old 03-17-08, 07:45 PM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oops, 70-7 is the right way of putting it.

When you file the drop outs, keep regularily checking if the wheel fits, it's best to do a little bit at a time, rather than using a heavy hand...'cos you can't replace metal if you take too much in one go.
I know Sheldon Brown said for the rear dropout to file only the bottom part, so maybe that applies for the front??
Good luck, you will have fun
Stevegor

Last edited by stevegor; 03-17-08 at 07:45 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-17-08, 08:41 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
IIRC, the front dropout hole shape is like a key-hole, it only requires filing the slot part as wide as the hole which is already the right size. So there's no point in filing away only the bottom.
Old 03-18-08, 05:45 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd try swapping the axle before filing the fork drop outs.IMHO
Old 03-19-08, 06:51 PM
social suicide

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stevegor

Old 03-19-08, 06:53 PM
social suicide

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
oops
Attached Images
Old 03-21-08, 06:49 AM
yohannrjm
There's a biking season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main issue with swapping the axle would be the fit of the cones. However, that is a possibility. I'll give that a shot today. If it doesn't work, then no harm done.

So now I cannot get first gear to engage (the cranks just spin around). I did all the adjustment I could without opening the SA hub. I think that will have to be next. I wonder if the low-gear spring that engages the clutch is the problem. This may be something for my LBS to do.

I'm getting a longer seatpost today, so it should finally fit me. It's a nice day for a quick spin, direct-drive and third gear should be fine for the moment.
Old 03-21-08, 07:14 AM
yohannrjm
There's a biking season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, as expected, the 'swapping cones' idea would not work, as the cones are different sizes. So, I'm back to filing the dropouts.

Judging by what I can see, there's no need to file equally on either side. The dropouts are keyhole shaped and the axle of the new wheel fits iin the hole. It is now just a matter of getting the slot wide enough to slip the axle through. With no vise at home, I'm not looking forward to this.

When the wheel is in, and the new seatpost too, my first round of mods will be done.
Old 03-21-08, 04:50 PM
yohannrjm
There's a biking season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went ahead and filed the fork dropouts, and the new wheel is in. It seems to make a difference in braking, though it will be most recognisable in the rain. I also changed the seatpost, so it puts me high enough to ride comfortably.

I took the bike for a spin and rode up one of the hills around here. The bike was very responsive, and it was quite easy to get up the hill. I was impressed. I think this is going to be a lot of fun.

Yay!!
Old 03-21-08, 05:33 PM
gruffydd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am a new Raleigh 20 owner as well as a new member to these forums. I had never heard of a R 20 until I started reading about them here. Since I was looking for some kind of bike to travel more conveniently with, I thought that I might as well try the R20. I found one on ebay recently and the rebuild has begun. It is at the powder coater now and I hope to get it back any day. As you can see from the attached picture it was in pretty sad condition. But it will soon be back to bristol fashion.

It has been great to see what many of you have done with these bikes.
Attached Images
8f4d_1.jpg (34.4 KB, 46 views)
908f_0.jpg (2.5 KB, 133 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.