Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

What was your good deed for the day?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

What was your good deed for the day?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 06:48 PM
mateo44
mateo for short

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Pig
I left the girl at Starbucks the change from my $2 after I got a large coffee.
About $0.11, I'm thinking. But that's > 0, so good work. The nomination for sainthood may have to wait, though.
Old 03-15-08, 12:54 PM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The other day I was riding to school and I saw a soccer ball start rolling down the bike lane. I looked across the street and I saw a bunch of kids standing at the fence of the playground looking for it, so I grabbed the ball and hobbled across the street trying not to get hit or mess up my cleats/shoes and gave the kids back their ball. Though I think at first they thought I was trying to steal it.

I knew there was a reason I was running a little late that day.
Old 03-15-08, 04:36 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check it out. I got wings...
Old 03-15-08, 05:03 PM
herbm
Embracing the fredness

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
Check it out. I got wings...
Did a bell ring?
Old 03-15-08, 05:38 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I taught my first ever League of American Bicyclists Road 1 Training class and got good reviews from all the participants!
Old 03-15-08, 06:08 PM
Indolent58
Queen of France

Bikes: Look 565, Trek 2120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did nothing good today.
Old 03-15-08, 06:22 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Extort
I taught my first ever League of American Bicyclists Road 1 Training class and got good reviews from all the participants!

Cool! Where was that?
Old 03-15-08, 06:37 PM
Mr York

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was yesterday, I spent time with my nephew and helped him with a video project and made plans for an electronics project coming up (making bike headlights), then brought my niece some seeds to choose from so she can plant a garden. We planted a garden last weekend and she wants to get in on the action too.

Today I went riding with my nephew and we had a good time talking about the merits of older cartoons like popeye, bug bunny, etc. We finally got to Ren and Stimpy and had a good time quoting various parts of the show. He has been riding with me a few weeks now, and got the hang of using the shifter finally. He has been riding in 6th gear this whole time. So now he is looking forward to hitting the hills with his new found power :-)

I am hoping to be able to get my niece to go riding with us soon, but she is still hesitant. Maybe this summer.
Old 03-15-08, 09:54 PM
cole505

Bikes: 06 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to Home Depot tonight with the wife and kids. As I was entering the store I noticed a kid was standing outside selling candies. Well he wasn’t really standing more like cowering into a little ball keeping warm from the windy cold weather. Exiting the store after about an hour of shopping I noticed the same kid was still there. Feeling sorry for him I approached him and asked how much for a bar of candy. He said “Two dollars”, TWO DOLLARS! I said to myself (I’m cheap). I told him I will take one and gave him a $20 bill as the wife and kids continued toward the car. It took him about 5 minutes of digging thru his pants pockets to make change for me. Feeling pretty good with myself I walked back to the car. Once inside the car the boss proceeded to asked me what took so long. I told her I gave him a $20 and all that stuff. She said you made him do all that work and you only bought one candy bar…why didn’t you buy the whole box so he doesn’t have to stand outside in the cold. “Yeah Dad” said the little one from the back seat. She was more concern with who was gonna get the candy bar more than the kid outside. Wanting to be a hero in the eyes of my family, back to the kid I went. Told him I’ll take the whole box (luckily for me has only 4 bars left). The boss is happy, the kids are happy (2 candy bars a piece), but the little one is still wondering who’s gonna get the fifth bar. I know who.

There IS a moral to this story, never try to do a good deed in front of your wife unless you’re willing to go all the way.
Old 03-16-08, 11:11 AM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
Cool! Where was that?
It was down in Irvine and sponsored by the MS Society. We are trying to build up the number of safety trainers for the ride and 5 people are going to start getting ready to become LCI's. I say start getting ready because there are a few things that they need to practice before they should go to the next level.

Heck, in the quick stop drill one of the guys did an endo and almost cracked his helmet when he landed on the pavement.

Teaching people about the physics involved (forward moving mass trying to stop or turn quickly) always brings a level of enlightenment to the students, and people need to practice those skills before they learn how to teach others.

The students also started to understand the difference between staying to the right side of the roadway to be courteous to motor vehicle drivers, and staying in the shoulder of the road because that is where they have always been taught to ride... There is a balance between safety and VC militancy that most people do not really understand...

I am now going to work to develop a quality presentation so that by the start of the 2009 MS Ride we can have ten LCI's involved with the Pacific South Coast Chapter of the MS Society. The more safety trained people we have on the ride, the sooner that the safe cycling culture becomes fully developed.
Old 03-16-08, 01:39 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I went out for breakfast with some friends and I paid.........
Old 03-16-08, 03:30 PM
bigdraft

Bikes: Arnold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine in Seattle was recently hit on his bike and the guy took off. Classic hit and run. And like me, he is kind of on the lower end of the economic spectrum and couldn't replace his frame and fork due to cost. At least not in the immeadate future, he's a musician. So I remembered I had left my old Reynolds Ouzo Pro Fork at my frame builders house when I upgraded to an integrated system. So I asked him if he still had it and if so could I get it back to give to my friend. He said no problem, so when I went over to collect the fork, he handed it to me with one of his custom frames he had made for himself that he didn't like. It was unpainted, but made out super sexy tubing, and weighs about 2 lbs. I was totally dumb-founded and couldn't wait to tell my friend...who of course went into shock when i told him. That was one of the best feelings I had had in a long time. Good energy passed around is a contagious thing

Last edited by bigdraft; 03-16-08 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-16-08, 03:36 PM
merider1
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdraft
That was one of the best feelings I had had in a long time. Good energy passed around is a contagious thing
Now, that is fantastic.
Old 03-16-08, 05:14 PM
lesiz
Flat Ire

Bikes: Trek 1100, DeRosa Idol

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I was biking home from work one day and this woman was running along the sidewalk, trying to catch her dog, which was also running, determined to not get caught. Dog runs into the street. I turn into the traffic lane to stop an oncoming car so it wouldn't hit the doggie. Then I gave chase to the dog and caught up with him on a lawn and grabbed his leash and waited for his friend the woman to get there.
Old 03-16-08, 06:08 PM
mateo44
mateo for short

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lesiz
So I was biking home from work one day and this woman was running along the sidewalk, trying to catch her dog, which was also running, determined to not get caught. Dog runs into the street. I turn into the traffic lane to stop an oncoming car so it wouldn't hit the doggie. Then I gave chase to the dog and caught up with him on a lawn and grabbed his leash and waited for his friend the woman to get there.
Did you then hold it for ransom?
Old 03-17-08, 04:22 PM
MarkAJ
Live To Ride Another Day!

Bikes: Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I have gas I am spraying my office with air freshener before staff meetings. That is pretty much most of the time. I am not sure how the staff will react without that new car smell.

Since the Spousal Unit has been diagnosed with cataracts I have given her rubber gloves to wear so she and verify what she is looking at before she picks up the dog poop.
Old 03-17-08, 04:26 PM
merider1
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a little romantic, Mark.

I've not done anything good today but I've had pure thoughts.
Old 03-19-08, 02:02 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My good deed for the weekend was to miss out on the LA Circuit race to attend to more pressing matters.
Old 03-19-08, 02:04 PM
merider1
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
My good deed for the weekend was to miss out on the LA Circuit race to attend to more pressing matters.
Wow, Trevor. I'm so glad you and the others found him. I hate the stories that end differently, for sure! Good job!
Old 03-19-08, 02:21 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
Wow, Trevor. I'm so glad you and the others found him. I hate the stories that end differently, for sure! Good job!
Yeah, it's a lot more fun to bring them out alive.

In this case, finding them was the easy part. We had coordinates from their locater beacon. Getting them off the mountain was the hard part. Fortunately we had plenty of help from other area teams.
Old 03-19-08, 02:22 PM
merider1
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In this case, finding them was the easy part. We had coordinates from their locater beacon. Getting them off the mountain was the hard part. Fortunately we had plenty of help from other area teams.
Forgive me, but are you a fireman or search and rescue team guy? (forest ranger?)
Old 03-19-08, 02:29 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yay for SPOT and other locator beacons...wow!!
Old 03-19-08, 02:34 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't done any good deeds today... .

But I did send out macadamia nut shortbread yesterday to some fellow BF members who need cheering up .

East Hill
Old 03-20-08, 02:02 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
Forgive me, but are you a fireman or search and rescue team guy? (forest ranger?)
SAR team volunteer.

I'm not particularly fulfilled by my day job, and bicycle racing strikes me as a pretty narcissistic pursuit (Though I do enjoy it.).

Being on the SAR team is a way of doing something that feels *worthwhile* with some of my time. Plus, it's not exactly like I could just run off to the mountains, on a whim, on any particular work day. When the pager goes off I have an instant excuse to take off to the hills.

Our team rope re-cert, and related training, is really gonna cut into my racing/training schedule this summer though. I'm already having to skip the NOVA Nationals, in AZ in a couple of weeks, for a re-certification test on personal rope skills.
Old 03-20-08, 02:53 PM
badfishgood
B(.)(.)BS

Bikes: My bicycles?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't honk at the old lady who was going 2 mph up my office parking garage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.