Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Salt

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 10:39 PM
Tony V
Tony V

Bikes: Apollo Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Salt

Hope somebody out there can help me out.Over the weekend in my cycling group the conversation of salt came up.Some of us have salt in our diets while other ones don't.What I want to know is,what is to much and what is not enough?We all do about 150 KM. per week,and we are purely recreational riders.Hope some can help me out.
Cheers,Tony.
Old 03-24-08, 10:42 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I asked my doctor this question and he told me that if I eat any kind of processed foods or fast foods in a week, I'm getting plenty of salt. Probably still too much.

Az
Old 03-25-08, 11:19 PM
El Julioso
Bikes are good

Bikes: 2000 Schwinn Moab 1, heavily modified

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1,600-2,400mg./day is generally recommended. If you lose a lot of salt through perspiration, you will need more. The average American consumes about 6,000mg. of sodium per day, BTW, and the average for Australians is probably similar. Getting enough salt is very easy; getting the right amount is harder, with salty processed foods in abundance, but it's still very doable.
Old 03-26-08, 06:08 AM
Apus^2

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My kidneys work fine, I drink lots of water, I sweat a lot, thus I eat all the salt I want.
Old 03-26-08, 06:21 AM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One gram per quart approximately, that's what you sweat, exercising or not. Two grams is not much. That's less than half a teaspoon.
Old 03-26-08, 10:17 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony V
Hope somebody out there can help me out.Over the weekend in my cycling group the conversation of salt came up.Some of us have salt in our diets while other ones don't.What I want to know is,what is to much and what is not enough?We all do about 150 KM. per week,and we are purely recreational riders.Hope some can help me out.
Cheers,Tony.
Short answer:

Generally, you only need to start thinking about salt when you're on rides more than 3 hours. *but*, if you are sweating hard and/or you eat a low-salt diet, it can be a factor earlier.

Long answer:

I wrote this after I had a couple incidents last year WRT salt.

https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx/arch...ing-salty.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com