Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

QUestions About Bike Theft

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 09:46 PM
Swift06

Bikes: Schwinn Solution GSD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I just purchased my bike, and obviously I'll buy a lock soon to secure it. I just had a few questions...

My bike has the quick disconnects for the wheels and seat. Do people steal that stuff often? I know it's a strange question, but they are vulnerable and I'm not sure if people actually do it. Anyone know from experience?

To what lengths will people go to cut through locks? I want the wire locks that are coiled, not one of those bulky metal locks. Are some of the coiled locks strong enough to withstand cutters? If so, what brands are good for this protection?

Obviously, environmental conditions will play a factor (time of day, location etc), so I'm just looking for a few words of wisdom and experiences from you guys to learn and prepare for these risks. Thanks.
Old 04-01-08, 10:08 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Swift06
So I just purchased my bike, and obviously I'll buy a lock soon to secure it. I just had a few questions...

My bike has the quick disconnects for the wheels and seat. Do people steal that stuff often?
Yes. You can use a cable lock to secure those, or disconnect the front wheel and lock it to the bike with a u-lock. Or, disconnect the front wheel and seat and take them with you.

In my opinion, the best protection for wheels and seats are pitlocks.

To what lengths will people go to cut through locks? I want the wire locks that are coiled, not one of those bulky metal locks. Are some of the coiled locks strong enough to withstand cutters? If so, what brands are good for this protection?

Obviously, environmental conditions will play a factor (time of day, location etc), so I'm just looking for a few words of wisdom and experiences from you guys to learn and prepare for these risks. Thanks.
Cable locks are next to useless. A large number of stolen bikes were locked with cable locks that the thief cut. There's a reason those u-locks you're hoping to avoid are so hefty. Thieves will carry bolt cutters to cut cable locks, and they will attempt to lever cheap locks open. The best u-locks can't be cut with bolt cutters, or levered open. They can be defeated, but most thieves won't bother, because there are too many bikes locked with easily defeated cable locks.

In my opinion, the best locks you can get are the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit u-lock and the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain. Get one or both of those, or their equivalent, and learn how to use them properly, along with common-sense security protocols such as those you've mentioned, and you're not likely to lose your bike to a thief.

Last edited by Blue Order; 04-01-08 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 10:12 PM
lostech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of what you're asking has to do with where you live. If you live in a small town with little crime, then maybe a cable lock would do. For anywhere with significant bike theft, it will be unacceptable, sadly. I had a bike stolen that I had locked with a cable- they cut right through it. I wised up and now use a U-lock. Unfortunately there's no perfect solution. The U-locks are bulkier, but you kind of need them.

As far as the seat and wheels go, you can take off the front wheel, then lock it with the frame and the rear wheel all together. That would be the most secure solution. Alternatively, you can replace the quick releases with regular bolts. (which might stop a crime of opportunity, but a thief would just need a wrench anyway, so..) As far as the seat goes, there are little cable locks designed to secure your seat to the frame. You could also replace the q/r with bolts for your seat. Again, the necessity of this depends on where you live and how nice your bike is.

Don't skimp on the lock.
Old 04-02-08, 07:08 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Abbreviated version. People will steal anything given the opportunity. The bike is only really safe when its between your legs or inside your house/apartment.

The more public the place you lock it and the less time it is there, the less chance it will get stolen.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 04-02-08, 12:30 PM
Swift06

Bikes: Schwinn Solution GSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into the U-locks.
Old 04-02-08, 12:37 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 852 Posts
Always try to park next to a nicer-looking bike with a flimsier locking system.

Fortunately, the only two bikes I have lost to theft have been junkers, but I am pretty careful about where I leave my bikes. If I am at all concerned about security, I ride the UO-8 and lock it with a very thick cable.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-02-08, 01:07 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I want the wire locks that are coiled, not one of those bulky metal locks.
Those cable locks are for quick stops only... a "lunch lock" if you will, used generally only when you can keep an eye on the bike.

I carry one as they are better than nothing, but I would not ask one to guard my bike for long.
Old 04-02-08, 01:11 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
Cable locks are next to useless. A large number of stolen bikes were locked with cable locks that the thief cut. There's a reason those u-locks you're hoping to avoid are so hefty. Thieves will carry bolt cutters to cut cable locks, and they will attempt to lever cheap locks open. The best u-locks can't be cut with bolt cutters, or levered open. They can be defeated, but most thieves won't bother, because there are too many bikes locked with easily defeated cable locks.
Couldn't agree more, I will add that it's a good idea to use two types of locks to secure your bike as many thieves will only carry tools for one type

Techniques:Is the bike registered in any way? You might have a means of recovery if it's stolen and turns up later.
https://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/ -Presuming you live in the US there are similar places for the rest of the world.
Lock links:
https://kryptonitelock.com/ My personal choice in locking systems. In my opinion, they have excellent customer service and they really stand by their products.
https://www.onguardlock.com/ Another fine lock company, their parent company Todson Inc. is also the parent company of Topeak. I've had a few dealings with Todson and have come away happy each time.
The only one I'd really tell you to stay away from would be Master Lock, I wouldn't trust them to lock garbage.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into the U-locks.

Originally Posted by John E
Always try to park next to a nicer-looking bike with a flimsier locking system.
"I don't have to out run the bear, I just have to out run you."

Originally Posted by John E
Fortunately, the only two bikes I have lost to theft have been junkers, but I am pretty careful about where I leave my bikes. If I am at all concerned about security, I ride the UO-8 and lock it with a very thick cable.
I use a U-lock on my beater Varsity, I don't trust cables for more than a wheel.
Old 04-02-08, 03:12 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Those cable locks are for quick stops only... a "lunch lock" if you will, used generally only when you can keep an eye on the bike.

I carry one as they are better than nothing, but I would not ask one to guard my bike for long.
One guy here in Portland had his bike cable locked a few feet away from him as he was eating outside a restaurant. He watched as a bike thief walked up and cut his cable lock. When he tried to stop the thief, a fight nearly ensued. Fortunately, the thief backed off and left without the bike. Still better to use a u-lock, even when you're watching the bike.
Old 04-02-08, 03:28 PM
murphsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More fun with bike locks

My lunch lock - put bike in big chainring, lock masterlock around chainring and
chain. If someone tries to ride off with the bike, they get 3/4 of a pedal stroke before BOOM!!!!
Old 04-02-08, 04:20 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One guy here in Portland had his bike cable locked a few feet away from him as he was eating outside a restaurant. He watched as a bike thief walked up and cut his cable lock. When he tried to stop the thief, a fight nearly ensued. Fortunately, the thief backed off and left without the bike. Still better to use a u-lock, even when you're watching the bike.
Doesn't surprise me at all.
Old 04-02-08, 04:36 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Wow, did anyone think to call the police? I mean really, some guy walking about in public with a big cable cutter... I wonder how many other bikes he got?

The ironic thing is in Oulu, where I saw a wonderful network of bike paths, bike theft seemed to be pretty low... folks generally only used the lock that came with the bike... a "C" shaped affair that locked the rear wheel. In many locations the bikes were not locked to anything at all... just locked with the wheel lock and put into a bike rack. Some places the racks were full and bikes weren't locked to anything.

Of course Oulu is out in the middle of nowhere, near the Arctic Circle... it is not as if there might be a huge international theft ring out there peddling bikes to who knows where.
Old 04-02-08, 06:41 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Of course Oulu is out in the middle of nowhere, near the Arctic Circle... it is not as if there might be a huge international theft ring out there peddling bikes to who knows where.
Yeah, the closer you get to the middle of nowhere the lower the risk.
Old 04-03-08, 09:44 AM
john bono

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Goes to show that bike security depends more on where you lock your bike, rather than how you lock it. The less "bike friendly" an area is, the safer your bike will be. The more bike friendly, the more likely it will be to get stolen. You could safely lock a carbon fiber bike for a month in central nevada with nothing more than a cable lock. A walmart special wouldn't last five minutes in Manhattan with anything less than a half dozen u-locks on the thing.
Old 04-05-08, 01:52 AM
!on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
certain amount of truth in that. wouldn't park a decent bike in london, EVAR!! no amount of locks matter, 'cos people just undo components.

in college or schools if folk see a QR seat post / saddle, they'll have that, but not necessarily the QR wheels. quick opportunism innit.

usually in town (not london) i'll just remove front wheel, then lock frame & wheels together. seat is non-QR. also park / lock it in view of CCTV.

better still, take it with you!
Old 04-05-08, 08:04 AM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The ease of breaking through most cable locks is a joke. Thieves don't need massive cable cutters with foot long arms to do it. A handheld, concealable set will go through most cables in seconds.
Old 04-05-08, 09:07 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One thing about cheap cable locks...I've actually defeated one simply by yanking on it really hard (it was my mother's bike...she lost the key, my leatherman was at home, so I improvised in frustration, and it worked).

Better cable locks may not be that craptacular, but it gives you some food for thought...I was able to shear the pot-metal locking pin with bare hands, and while I may be somewhat strong I am far from a muscleman....that's not very secure.

Myself, U-locks and the heavy duty chain locks only. I'll use a cable to secure the seatpost, bottle cage and front wheel (accessory use, my accessory cable loops through the u-lock though instead of having it's own locking mechanism), but that's it.

In general...don't lock the bike anywhere that a thief has time to play with it...and if you are in a city where people "mind their own business"....carry the best locks you can afford....those people will just let a thief take his sweet time.