Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Lock - Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New Lock - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 07:07 AM
Lamourish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Lock - Suggestions?

Hello all. I recently purchased a brand new bike for commuting. I ride a 5 mile each direction commute into an urban area 5 times a week. Formerly, I was on an early 90s model mountain bike, uglified but beautiful in her own way, which worked well for four years before formally retiring on me. Now I have concerns about "the best bike in the rack" theft. While I will likely uglify soon, I wanted some input on locks.

When I bought my new bike last week, I bought the flagship OnGuard U-Lock. The thing weighs a ton, and I've thought about taking it back for a lighter version, or possibly even the combination (not key) version of the U-lock. Then I read the recent thread about OnGuard problems ( https://tinyurl.com/3chyzc ) and what I took for granted (quality) seems to have been a mistake.

Therefore, meeting the prefrences of (1) is compact and attaches cleanly to frame, (2) preferably with a keyless/combo lock, and (3) security as top priority, what would you recommend? Price is a lower priority that security, by large margin, but of course a consideration.

I thank you in advance for suggestions.
Old 04-03-08, 07:34 AM
ObjectAgnosia
Behind Bars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If bike theft is a concern in your area, you should get the best lock for the job regardless of size and/or weight. It'll a worthwhile investment. Find a U-Lock that will lock a tire and your frame to a bike rack. Then buy a cable lock long enough to lock the wheels to the bike and possibly the rack again. I'm currently using the larger version of the Kyrptonite NYC edition lock and a Kryptronite cable lock. They're a heavy and pricey combo, but I feel safe locking my bike up with them.
Old 04-03-08, 07:37 AM
ObjectAgnosia
Behind Bars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a picture of what I carry:

Both locks have frame mounts, but the frame has a sloping top tube so there isn't much space for a water bottle and a lock. They fit fine in the back, the U-lock is locked into the rack and then held tight by a couple of velcro straps to keep it from rattling.
Old 04-03-08, 07:52 AM
Lamourish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice setup. I'm a pannier user, so the rear rack would not be a good place to stash the locks. I have thought about using both a U-lock and a Cable-lock system. But then my lazy side kicks in.

Kryptonite is a better option then on-guard in your opinion then?
Old 04-03-08, 08:33 AM
NM_Marauder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using this lock for years and I am very happy with it. https://www.rei.com/product/721706

Remember that locking the bike requires a strong lock, a solid immobile object and good locking technique. The bike is only as secure as the weakest of these.

There isn't a lock on the planet that will last more than 30 seconds against serious power tools (Like Jaws of Life). So don't think of a lock as something that keeps your bike from being stolen. Think of a lock as something that requires thieves to bring really big tools. Thieves are lazy and so they will go steal something easier instead.
Old 04-03-08, 12:24 PM
Lamourish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So do you think there is much difference between "levels" of lock in the OnGuard series? The Flagship model I have must weigh 10 pounds, the midrange was more like 5 as I recall.
Old 04-03-08, 12:54 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamourish
So do you think there is much difference between "levels" of lock in the OnGuard series?
Uh YES. Look at the warranties - that should be your first clue that one lock is superior to another. More mass generally means more that the crook has to fight through. One other thing, you REALLY don't want a combo lock, they're easier to get into than you'd ever imagine. Suck it up and carry a key.
Old 04-03-08, 12:57 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even the lesser locks like the Evolution and Pitbull are fine choices if you use them right. There isn't much difference, a lock which is strong enough to resist hand cutting tools (good ones will) is going to fall to pressure tools (bottle jacks, pry bars), and the most important thing to do is use the proper lock size and technique. Improperly used, a Kryptonite NYC will pop open to a nice stubby bottle jack just as a standard Kryptolok will, there is almost no difference. Properly used, all that matters is that the lock is properly positioned to eliminate those pressure attacks, and the good u-locks will withstand the non-powered cutting attacks on their own. Power tools will shred a Brute/NYC all the same.

I would personally have no qualms about using a "lighter" lock like a Kryptonite Evolution. Perhaps not much lesser than that, as some of the cheaper locks are more vulnerable to being attacked by other methods *as well as* leverage/pressure.

Kryptonite locks have trouble too, mostly with the keys. Not a majorly common occurrence but once in a while someone will stick their key in, and it'll snap in the cylinder which pretty much does the lock in. The keys do bend quite easily. I've not had that snapping trouble happen, but one of the keys did end up getting worringly bent, so it was replaced just in case.
Old 04-03-08, 01:03 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Abneycat
Kryptonite locks have trouble too, mostly with the keys. Not a majorly common occurrence but once in a while someone will stick their key in, and it'll snap in the cylinder which pretty much does the lock in. The keys do bend quite easily. I've not had that snapping trouble happen, but one of the keys did end up getting worringly bent, so it was replaced just in case.
Kryptonite recently redesigned their keys - slightly. It seemed to be in conjunction with the Evolution series 4 rollout.

Also, according to Quickrelease .TV and my own communication with Donna Tocci there's a going to be a new lock stuffer coming out for Kryptonite this summer

Youtube linky
Old 04-03-08, 01:36 PM
TiberiusBTkirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
having been through a couple of bicycle and motorcycle thefts,
using a lock don't always mean it won't get stolen.
but always use a lock. I made the mistake of not using one on a motorcycle trip to middle of no where.
the cycle was stolen from the parking lot of the hotel. My motorcycle was stolen three times,
all three times the cycle was found and returned. Only on my last trip was it not worth it to bring it back.
I'm using the motorcycle locks as my bike locks now. A Cobralinks and an old Yamaha lock.
the Yamaha lock was like a folding U lock design. together they weighed over 15 lbs.
Old 04-03-08, 01:55 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Kryptonite recently redesigned their keys - slightly. It seemed to be in conjunction with the Evolution series 4 rollout.
Good to hear it! I find thats the only disappointing feature of Kryptonite's product.

Also, according to Quickrelease .TV and my own communication with Donna Tocci there's a going to be a new lock stuffer coming out for Kryptonite this summer

Youtube linky
The diagonal design could be a lot more effective than some of the others i've seen. Looks promising. Still, a filler is only another thing to be attacked - if the bike itself is used as filler, thieves are more likely to move on to a bike they don't have to maim to claim.
Old 04-03-08, 03:05 PM
Lamourish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh YES. Look at the warranties - that should be your first clue that one lock is superior to another. More mass generally means more that the crook has to fight through. One other thing, you REALLY don't want a combo lock, they're easier to get into than you'd ever imagine. Suck it up and carry a key.
'Nuff said. Thanks.
Old 04-03-08, 03:16 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The diagonal design could be a lot more effective than some of the others i've seen. Looks promising.
That's what I was thinking
Still, a filler is only another thing to be attacked - if the bike itself is used as filler, thieves are more likely to move on to a bike they don't have to maim to claim.
However it does help with a concern of some lock owners. Sometimes there just isn't enough stuff to put inside the lock to take up the space. For example, one of the places I lock up at is a parking canopy with 3" square structural supports, if I was riding my old Schwinn Varsity with it's incredibly skinny tubes I could lock the rear wheel, seat tube, and the post inside my 4x9 lock and still have enough room to get a mini jack in there. Just an example

Originally Posted by Lamourish
'Nuff said. Thanks.
No problem
Old 04-03-08, 03:20 PM
gharding
Señor Member

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Specialized Sirrus, KHS Solo SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not leave the heavyweight, secure one on the rack, and maybe keep a lightweight one at home if you're going somewhere else.
Old 04-03-08, 03:29 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gharding
Why not leave the heavyweight, secure one on the rack, and maybe keep a lightweight one at home if you're going somewhere else.
  1. I lock up in multiple locations and use my bike for errands - I need the lock with me.
  2. Overzealous maintenance people remove "abandoned" locks
  3. Leaving the lock behind can give the potential thief ample time to devise a strategy of attack or damage the lock
I could come up with more, but you get the point
Old 04-03-08, 03:38 PM
pluc

Bikes: Surly 1x1 with Nexux 8 "Red line"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have first hand experience, but there are the Abus locks too. They seem to be very popular in Europe.
Old 04-03-08, 03:43 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pluc
I don't have first hand experience, but there are the Abus locks too. They seem to be very popular in Europe.
Rather spendy here though......