Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is there life in A&S after the antagonists are gone?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Is there life in A&S after the antagonists are gone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 02:43 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Seriously, since Brian has given a temporary free pass on ranting on this subject:

*rant snipped*
ILTB needs a temporary free pass to rant? Now that's funny.
Old 04-09-08, 02:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 1,071 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
ILTB needs a temporary free pass to rant? Now that's funny.
You wouldn't be insulting/dissin' me would ya? Dat would not be respectful!
Old 04-09-08, 02:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by invisiblehand

Now that is funny. Yeah ... things will get better around here.
Yeah go for the Gusto with the Real Tom, as seen on Oprah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21i4j5_bs40

The Lesson: don't overdose on an epiphany be it Katie, Scientology, or John Forester's Good Book.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 04-09-08 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 03:00 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson
Old 04-09-08, 03:01 PM
rando

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... with (scientologists) VC, it's not like anybody else... if we go by an accident, we KNOW we can help... you know you are the only one who can really help..." ...We ARE the authorities..." "you're either in the game or you're on the sidelines..."

scientology meets VC-ology?

*shudder*

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 04-09-08, 03:16 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rando
... with (scientologists) VC, it's not like anybody else... if we go by an accident, we KNOW we can help... you know you are the only one who can really help..." ...We ARE the authorities..." "you're either in the game or you're on the sidelines..."

scientology meets VC-ology?

*shudder*
Been saying that for a while now.......
Old 04-09-08, 03:32 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SingingSabre
I've barely looked at A&S because of the crap HH started and propagated. In fact, I still doubt I'll become a regular here again.
I obviously haven't been as regular as I used to be either, but I've heard fiber helps...

Seriously, it just got too painful to even attempt to engage in a discussion in here...and I always liked Serge. Sure, we would argue like cats and dogs, trade barbs and sometimes get a little overheated, but hey, that's the way it works when the subject matter approaches the genre of politics...which A&S does. But I saw him change...and I think a lot of others like Diane and Gene and Brian R saw it too. I can't find the right word to describe it, maybe that Jekyll was becoming dominant over Hyde? I don't know what he did to finally get a perma-ban, but if it came from who I think it came from, he must have really went over the line.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-09-08, 03:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by chipcom
But I saw him change...and I think a lot of others like Diane and Gene and Brian R saw it too.
Whatever happened to Diane? She was subjected to more abuse than anybody from the banned pair, especially misogynous insults from JF. Maybe she will want to participate again.
Old 04-09-08, 05:25 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Here was one of HH's first posts on the subject back three years ago. His join date is just a month previous.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=33

Watch how the thread progresses with HH playing a key role to keep tensions high. In the road cycling forum, for example, they would never let the aggression get going. They'd just start posting pictures of bunnys with pancakes on their heads or something. As harsh as the RC forum can be sometimes, they let differing opinions live and let their arguments stand on their own. HH would never just state his opinion and sit pat. He would persist. If somebody entered an opinion into the record that differed from his own, he'd answer back with his standard patter. If the same poster dared to clarify his opinion, HH would launch into him as if the poster were a complete Noob to cycling and didn't know how to read. I cannot tell you the number of times a new person would post, HH would respond, the OP would post a second time, HH would talk down to him/her, and then they'd leave, never to return.

Never changing, always trying to insert minor revisions of the first post I linked to here at every opportunity. Always singing the exact same tune. That was HH.

It was interesting for a while. But now it's not. Go back through that stickied "Bike lane" thread. You'll see that the forum has been stuck in time since then and the number of active participants have gone to as low as three or four people at times.
thank you Brian for a sane analysis of the situation.
Old 04-09-08, 06:26 PM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whatever happened to Diane? She was subjected to more abuse than anybody from the banned pair, especially misogynous insults from JF. Maybe she will want to participate again.
Having several times been on the receiving end of vicious attacks from Diane, provoked only by my opinion that bike lanes aren't always a good option in every situation, I have to say that she is one of the ones I have in mind when I say that HH was not the worst.
The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org
Old 04-09-08, 10:07 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
BTW, proof that the moderators are on the right track: 52 people on this forum at 9:00 at night. Unheard of in the past 3 years.

Now, of course, most are guests. But I'm seeing a lot more new names around here now that the smoke has finally cleared.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 04-10-08, 08:42 AM
Steve Hamlin
Loco Motive Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems that the controversy or bellicosity is what people are focused on. . . to re-iterate and directly quote one of hosts of our little party. . .

"Dobber, it's not the usual "RickRolling" that we're banning people over.It's when they post links to malicious sites that result in computer problems for the person who clicked on the link. And - it's not an automatic ban. We're only banning the ones who continue to link to malicious sites after they were asked to stop."

Bold, underline and ital added.

My opinion -- there's never call for and no defense of such behavior. Permanent ban is too kind, if anything.
Old 04-10-08, 08:46 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My random thought for the day: maybe we should have a annual A&S spring cleaning and have a thread to constructively get some junk out of the forum.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 04-10-08, 08:59 AM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Hamlin
My opinion -- there's never call for and no defense of such behavior. Permanent ban is too kind, if anything.
So you clicked on it?
Old 04-10-08, 09:01 AM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I hadn't even thought of her in a while. She always did have something interesting to put into the mix.

Originally Posted by chipcom
I obviously haven't been as regular as I used to be either, but I've heard fiber helps...

Seriously, it just got too painful to even attempt to engage in a discussion in here...and I always liked Serge. Sure, we would argue like cats and dogs, trade barbs and sometimes get a little overheated, but hey, that's the way it works when the subject matter approaches the genre of politics...which A&S does. But I saw him change...and I think a lot of others like Diane and Gene and Brian R saw it too. I can't find the right word to describe it, maybe that Jekyll was becoming dominant over Hyde? I don't know what he did to finally get a perma-ban, but if it came from who I think it came from, he must have really went over the line.
Hooray beer! Er...fiber!

I must have come in just as he was starting to change, as he really did have some decent arguments when I first joined. After that, it was just the ad homenim, venomous attacks which he's now infamous for.

Wow, I'm back for a 2nd day in a row. How...odd.
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 04-10-08, 09:14 AM
Steve Hamlin
Loco Motive Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
So you clicked on it?
No, but obviously somebody must have.

I tried to come up with some sort of analogy in behaviour at that one might encounter at a dinner or cocktail party, but so quickly veered into crass and vulgar territory I decided it was for nought.

It's one thing to dominate a conversation or be sort of belligerant with the other dinner guests, but a poison link? Maybe it's sort of like the Visine in the drink in the movie "Wedding Crashers"?
Old 04-10-08, 11:31 AM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Human Car
My random thought for the day: maybe we should have a annual A&S spring cleaning and have a thread to constructively get some junk out of the forum.
Not a bad idea.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 04-10-08, 07:44 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why don't we all just go to Burning Man instead? It serves the same purpose and is a lot more fun.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 04-10-08, 07:55 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Why don't we all just go to Burning Man instead? It serves the same purpose and is a lot more fun.
Will there pot? Stopped in traffic today on my motorcycle, I smelled pot. From a car.
Old 04-10-08, 08:13 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
Will there pot? Stopped in traffic today on my motorcycle, I smelled pot. From a car.

That's nothing, I had to break out the Ozium today at work after a couple of customers left my workplace. Whatever they had must have been some really good stuff, or either they had a run in with Pepe.

Last edited by dynodonn; 04-10-08 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-10-08, 08:21 PM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a purpose to Burning Man?

The idea of vacationing in the desert in August somehow has never impressed me as a fun time.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 04-10-08, 08:29 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It looks like it's much nicer here now, but I'm still a lot more interested in the actual bikes. All well and good and I hope, as in any other forum that members who want to be here and prosper will be here...

I do a pretty good job of inadvertantly being a good suckup or something
Old 04-11-08, 12:28 AM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm wondering - now that Serge has gone, do we still need the VC sub-forum?
Old 04-11-08, 02:18 AM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could afford it... Heck, I can't even afford to go to the small regional events!
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 04-11-08, 07:23 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allister
I'm wondering - now that Serge has gone, do we still need the VC sub-forum?
Don't forget JF is coming back.
. . /L
=()>()

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.