Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Look what I found at the dump this morning!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 05:25 PM
Farkleberrie

Bikes: 2007 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When we pulled into the recycling area, I saw two bikes down near the garbage area. I went down to look and found this nice Univega Nuovo Sport in what looked like my size. There were signs all over that said removal of anything was prohibited, but as I turned to go back to my car a guy came out of the dump office and yelled "Do you want that bike?" "I wouldn't mind!" "Go ahead and take it." Sweet. So I wheeled it up to the car with a big grin and said to my surprised hubby, "We can fit this in the car right??" :-D. I've since measured it, it seems to be a 46cm frame with all Shimano components. It needs some work and I have neither the tools or the knowledge, but I can't wait to learn! Anyone know anything about this bike and want to offer suggestions on how to upgrade/fix it? I'd like flat bars and fatter tires, but that's all I've got for now as far as ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0057 sm.jpg (94.4 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0058 sm.jpg (76.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 04-12-08, 05:37 PM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Score!

The bike looks pristine.
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 04-12-08, 05:53 PM
beingtxstate
Disgruntled grad student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man that is awesome!

I wish I dug into ppl's trash more

Seriously, great find!
Old 04-12-08, 06:31 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Outstanding find, can't beat the price! Does the label on the right rear of the top tube say "Triple Butted Chromoly Steel"? I have a Univega with that decal, and it has a very nice ride.
As for where to start to work on it, first I would wash/clean it to shine it up, use auto wax if needed to make it shine. I do that to increase my interest in the bike. Next, I would determine if everything is working, and fix whatever is not working first, followed immediately by cleaning the chain. Any bike that has sat for a while needs to have the chain cleaned to perform well. Next, I'd check the brakes. A bike that age usually needs new pads.
Some will say replace all the cables, housing, tires, and bar tape. If you're sure you want to ride the bike and don't mind spending the coin, you can make all those changes, but I like to try out the bike first.
Just make sure the brakes are satisfactory.
If you decide to keep it and you're looking to upgrade components, I'd upgrade the brake levers to aero, they look better and will increase the braking capability.
Old 04-12-08, 06:50 PM
splytz1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seeing that old Cannondale velcro water bottle "cage" brings back some memories... like that bike stepped out of the 80's!

20 years ago those things were all the rage - I think I had one on my Univega when I was a teenager, in fact.

That bike doesn't need much of anything - make sure the grease is good, chain's clean, cables and tires are in decent shape and it's good to go!
Old 04-12-08, 06:50 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you guys just go to the dump? We have landfills here, but they're not the type of place where you just show up and poke around. The other dump is the river front, but I don't need any yard waste, used tires or stolen cars.
Old 04-12-08, 06:54 PM
splytz1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonechilling
How do you guys just go to the dump? We have landfills here, but they're not the type of place where you just show up and poke around. The other dump is the river front, but I don't need any yard waste, used tires or stolen cars.
Small towns usually have small town dumps that you drive into. You get a yearly permit. My dad used to load the trash into the station wagon every Saturday morning at 10am, then pick around in the scrap metal pile. They are also popular small-town gathering places to socialize, for some reason, despite the smell.
Old 04-12-08, 07:02 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting. I've only ever lived in the big city, so this is all foreign to me.
Old 04-12-08, 07:25 PM
TBART

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
at the dump this morning!

Excellent find!
Old 04-12-08, 07:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Many cities also have drop offs such as our "self help" locations for large items and such things as oil, batteries, yard waste, etc. I usually scan the metal dumpster when I'm there, but have never found anything nice, mostly stuff I've pulled some small parts off of and took the rest back the next time. I am still kicking myself for not grabbing the clean Honda Trail 70 last fall even though it was still on someones trailer and would have been an easy (and legal) grab. Decided I didn't need yet another "project" around the house even though it would have been a great blast from my past.
Old 04-12-08, 08:08 PM
Farkleberrie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Outstanding find, can't beat the price! Does the label on the right rear of the top tube say "Triple Butted Chromoly Steel"? I have a Univega with that decal, and it has a very nice ride.
As for where to start to work on it, first I would wash/clean it to shine it up, use auto wax if needed to make it shine. I do that to increase my interest in the bike. Next, I would determine if everything is working, and fix whatever is not working first, followed immediately by cleaning the chain. Any bike that has sat for a while needs to have the chain cleaned to perform well. Next, I'd check the brakes. A bike that age usually needs new pads.
Some will say replace all the cables, housing, tires, and bar tape. If you're sure you want to ride the bike and don't mind spending the coin, you can make all those changes, but I like to try out the bike first.
Just make sure the brakes are satisfactory.
If you decide to keep it and you're looking to upgrade components, I'd upgrade the brake levers to aero, they look better and will increase the braking capability.
The label does indeed say "Triple Butted Chromoly Steel." Issues noted so far: a very flat front tire and rusty chain, cassette, and cables. Brakes look good, even the pads, though I think the front one needs to be adjusted since it's not centered over the tire. I'll probably replace the saddle as well.

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm a complete newbie to maintenance so I can't tell just by looking how good the parts are unless they are very obviously bad :-). I do know the local mechanic at Eastern Mountain Sports and he might be willing to just look it over for me. This is definitely going to be my "learning" bike!

Last edited by Farkleberrie; 04-12-08 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-12-08, 08:10 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,372 Times in 864 Posts
All you need to know about brake pads for your new find is "salmon KoolStop with hreaded mounting studs."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-12-08, 08:11 PM
Farkleberrie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by splytz1
Small towns usually have small town dumps that you drive into. You get a yearly permit. My dad used to load the trash into the station wagon every Saturday morning at 10am, then pick around in the scrap metal pile. They are also popular small-town gathering places to socialize, for some reason, despite the smell.
You've just described our dump perfectly! We go every couple of weeks to do our recycling. Ours also has a shelf for books and we usually leave with a few of those. This was the first time I've ever noticed bikes, must be Spring cleaning time.

I also have fond memories of going to the dump with my father on Saturday mornings when I was a kid and checking out what others had tossed.
Old 04-12-08, 11:09 PM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Farkleberrie
The label does indeed say "Triple Butted Chromoly Steel." Issues noted so far: a very flat front tire and rusty chain, cassette, and cables. Brakes look good, even the pads, though I think the front one needs to be adjusted since it's not centered over the tire. I'll probably replace the saddle as well.

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm a complete newbie to maintenance so I can't tell just by looking how good the parts are unless they are very obviously bad :-). I do know the local mechanic at Eastern Mountain Sports and he might be willing to just look it over for me. This is definitely going to be my "learning" bike!
Wow! fixing the tire, cables, and chain are so basic they almost don't need mention.

You might be able to just oil the chain and run it till it breaks. NOt tidy, I know, but do-able.

Brake cables on old bikes almost always require replacement or cleaning/lubricating. That is a cheap fix.

Coolio, Man!
Old 04-12-08, 11:26 PM
Louis

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Nice find, congratulations. I'm always amazed at how people through away good stuff like this.
Old 04-12-08, 11:41 PM
hxzero
Needs to Ride More

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi EL/OS, 1991 Miyata QuickCross

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should really go to the dump one of these days. I never see any good stuff in dumpsters either, it's always rusted out Electra beach cruisers and junk like that.
Old 04-13-08, 06:14 AM
infinityeye
Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by splytz1
Seeing that old Cannondale velcro water bottle "cage" brings back some memories... like that bike stepped out of the 80's!

20 years ago those things were all the rage - I think I had one on my Univega when I was a teenager, in fact.

That bike doesn't need much of anything - make sure the grease is good, chain's clean, cables and tires are in decent shape and it's good to go!
Funny, I have one I just put in the garbage can yesterday! It was just to 80s for my taste
Old 04-13-08, 08:38 AM
BlankCrows
Avenir Equipped

Bikes: Chesini X-Uno, etc.....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike. That one must've been a garage queen before you found it. The saddle even looks new. That tubing was on some of Univega's better offerings I believe.
Old 04-13-08, 08:50 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Liked 545 Times in 270 Posts
Start by cleaning & lubricating everything. There is much information available, checkout Sheldon Brown's site and the Park Tools site for help. Hold off a while on the straight bars. Once you have the bike all cleaned & greased up, adjust the seat post/saddle and the current bars for height and angle, be careful to not exceed the maximum extension marks on the seat post and stem. Ride the bike in its current (as designed) configuration awhile and you may find you like it as is.
Old 04-13-08, 08:53 AM
Farkleberrie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
Wow! fixing the tire, cables, and chain are so basic they almost don't need mention.

You might be able to just oil the chain and run it till it breaks. NOt tidy, I know, but do-able.

Brake cables on old bikes almost always require replacement or cleaning/lubricating. That is a cheap fix.

Coolio, Man!
My dad is a mechanic and he said the same thing, that most rust is superficial. He said to coat it with some penetrating oil, let it sit, run the pedals and wipe it off. So I'm going to try some WD-40 later.
Old 04-13-08, 08:56 AM
Farkleberrie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Start by cleaning & lubricating everything. There is much information available, checkout Sheldon Brown's site and the Park Tools site for help. Hold off a while on the straight bars. Once you have the bike all cleaned & greased up, adjust the seat post/saddle and the current bars for height and angle, be careful to not exceed the maximum extension marks on the seat post and stem. Ride the bike in its current (as designed) configuration awhile and you may find you like it as is.
Yeah, I have considered that. As a child of the mountain bike age, I've never had a bike with drop bars. This might be a good chance to try them out. Plus I can't afford a lot of new parts at the moment. Ironically, I bought a new Surly Cross Check two weeks ago to use as a commuter.
Old 04-13-08, 10:03 AM
jet sanchEz

Liked 862 Times in 388 Posts
It looks great! I would suggest that you not use WD-40 as a lubricant though, it makes things rather sticky and road grime will stick to the chain and gunk up your shifting. Do exactly as your dad said but just apply a little bit of oil onto the chain and wipe it off.
Old 04-15-08, 01:25 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Take the reflectors off the wheels.
Old 04-15-08, 01:48 PM
ticwanos
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do believe that the town dumps in New Hampshire must be the best dumps in the world! Amazing find!
-- Leon Briggs
Old 04-15-08, 03:46 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Liked 2,657 Times in 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Farkleberrie
I do know the local mechanic at Eastern Mountain Sports and he might be willing to just look it over for me. This is definitely going to be my "learning" bike!
You may also want to have the mechaninc reccommend a good bike repair and maitenance book, as well as making use of the Sheldon Brown and Park Tools on-line information. Also, make good use of the mechanics/repair area (whatever it's called) of Bike Foums - there are a bunch of knowledgeable folks there who can help answer questions (or point you to answers) to questions that you have trouble finding answers to anywhere else.

What a great find!! Your excitement over it is infectious. I'm delighted that bike ended up in the hands of someone who will appreciate it. With a little work now and a very little bit of maintenance over time, I bet that bike will last and ride great for many years yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.