Notices
Southern California Southern California

Ballona Creek Incident

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 06:01 PM
8TEESGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ballona Creek Incident

At 8:30 a. m. today a male hispanic jumped out at me and tried to knock me off my bike. This occured at the Marina Freeway underpass as I headed west. I reported the incident to the MDR Sheriff and LAPD Pacific division. The guy is about 5'6", 160 lbs and 30 years old. He looks like a normal working type so the attack was a total surprise to me. I've seen him in the area before, so be wary.

David
Old 04-21-08, 07:02 PM
AkAk2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad you're okay.

Last year, I posted the following in this thread:

I've also never had a problem on the path, despite it going through a sketchy area. However, last Saturday afternoon on the path, at the point where it goes under the Marina Freeway, there were a group of folks handing out flyers. Apparently, on Saturday May 19, 2007, between 4-5:30 pm, a man named Scott was seriously injured on the trail. It is unknown whether he was attacked or had an accident, but his friends think he was attacked. From what they told me, according to the paramedics, he was found unconscious on the bike path. The back of his head was crushed, but there were really no other marks on him (seeming to rule out a crash.) His bike, wallet, and other effects were still with him. He is still in a coma.
If anybody was on the path and saw anything (suspicious people, etc.), they are asking that you email Scott_info1@yahoo.com. Again, he was attacked/injured on the Ballona Path underneath the 90-Marina Freeway near McConnell Ave.
It seems to have happened at the exact same place. Was this guy carrying anything? Perhaps you could relay the information to the police.
Old 04-21-08, 09:37 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8TEESGUY
At 8:30 a. m. today a male hispanic jumped out at me and tried to knock me off my bike. This occured at the Marina Freeway underpass as I headed west. I reported the incident to the MDR Sheriff and LAPD Pacific division. The guy is about 5'6", 160 lbs and 30 years old. He looks like a normal working type so the attack was a total surprise to me. I've seen him in the area before, so be wary.

David
Oh man, I'm sorry! That's further west than the other incidents, I think, and at an odd time for this kind of thing. I wouldn't expect problems at that time and place, but you just never know. This is getting worrisome, I ride down there all the time.

Why do you think he tried to attack you? Like for robbery or was he "just" crazy?

When you say you've seen him before, what do you mean? Is he the guy that appears to be homeless and "lives" down there? He tends to wear a dark blue windbreaker, is usually pretty clean and neatly dressed, and I've seen him on or near an older 10-speed bike alot. He's not kinda fair skinned, but has black hair.
Old 04-21-08, 10:20 PM
8TEESGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
Oh man, I'm sorry! That's further west than the other incidents, I think, and at an odd time for this kind of thing. I wouldn't expect problems at that time and place, but you just never know. This is getting worrisome, I ride down there all the time.

Why do you think he tried to attack you? Like for robbery or was he "just" crazy?

When you say you've seen him before, what do you mean? Is he the guy that appears to be homeless and "lives" down there? He tends to wear a dark blue windbreaker, is usually pretty clean and neatly dressed, and I've seen him on or near an older 10-speed bike alot. He's not kinda fair skinned, but has black hair.
I think he's crazy, not a robber. He's not the person to which you refer, I've seen him also. That guy has never bothered me. I do believe that the person that tried to attack me is homeless and living in the area. He didn't have a weapon as far as I could tell. When I say I think I've seen him before I had a similar size/description hispanic male in the same area get verbally aggresive about a year ago. I think it could be the same person.
Old 04-22-08, 07:50 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info. It's a good reminder to keep your head up.
Old 04-22-08, 08:43 AM
photonick
Banned

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear your ok, its a shame that path seems to be plagued with problems, I've ridden it once for about 5 miles and it felt ok to me, i haven't gone again because i found in boring and a but uninspiring but now i don't think i'll head back down that way.
Old 04-22-08, 09:32 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to see some of these problems posted to this Yahoo group, but because of issues over content the original poster needs to go there and sign on, post...
Old 04-22-08, 10:03 AM
CMY
Raving Lunatic

Bikes: '07 Novara Buzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...and this is exactly why I hang a left onto Fiji.
Old 04-22-08, 11:06 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, for many of us, it's part of the route down to the beach. I've ridden it literally hundreds of times in the last 18 months, and believe you need to put these incidents in perspective. No one has ever been doored, left-hooked, or been buzzed within inches by a car doing 60mph on that bike path, that's for sure.

In general, I prefer it to using Venice Blvd., Jefferson, or other routes west. FWIW, I see tons people using it, at all hours, including single women jogging, kids and families on bikes, lots of people of all stripes. I think the degree of risk is very, very small. Nothing is risk-free.
Old 04-22-08, 02:44 PM
photonick
Banned

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
touche
Old 04-22-08, 02:49 PM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, that's my route too. I live in Palms/Culver City area. It's relatively safe, but you should always be cautious. If you see a bunch of guys that look that they are up to no good, just turn around, no shame in that.

And always carry a cell phone.
Old 04-22-08, 04:05 PM
CritEastwood
aka Jerome

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hand-wringing in this thread is hysterical.
Old 04-22-08, 04:06 PM
Otakugirl

Bikes: 2006 Jamis Quest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, David, and for reporting to the cops. Really glad you're OK.

DScott, word. It's my route, too, and I'm not ceding it to one loon or a bunch of preteens. Best way to make sure it gets too sketchy to ride is to quit riding it.
Old 04-22-08, 04:10 PM
CritEastwood
aka Jerome

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Otakugirl
It's my route, too, and I'm not ceding it to one loon or a bunch of preteens. Best way to make sure it gets too sketchy to ride is to quit riding it.
Wow, someone with cajones. That's refreshing and ironic all at once, being that the poster appears to be female.
Old 04-22-08, 04:32 PM
Otakugirl

Bikes: 2006 Jamis Quest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, someone with cajones.
If that's true, I probably ought to look at switching out my seat...
Old 04-22-08, 06:36 PM
Tumbleweed

Bikes: Super6, Highball, BSB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CritEastwood
The hand-wringing in this thread is hysterical.
Wow! Recycling an earlier reply from a different thread on Earth Day. You almost deserve a green star.
Old 04-22-08, 09:54 PM
BillyB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on this path at least two times a week for the past five years and have never had any problems.

But then again, I'm 220 pounds, don't ride expensive looking bikes and don't look like I'd have any money.
Old 04-22-08, 10:41 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
Wow! Recycling an earlier reply from a different thread on Earth Day. You almost deserve a green star.
I noticed that too - it made a little less sense in the other thread.