Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

"Don't bring the bike next time."

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

"Don't bring the bike next time."

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 04:13 PM
GlassWolf
cat person

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not so when it comes to a pharmacy and legally prescribed medication dispensing. You're playing with some different rules, then.
Old 04-23-08, 04:16 PM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlassWolf
Ask the manager next time to call the police department for you and have an officer arrive to explain to the dorks that a bicycle has every legal right of a motor vehicle on a public road, including non-discriminatory service at some crappy fast food joint.
Then start asking for the full names of the window kids, and the manager, and start writing them down on a pad or post-it. Inform them the names are for your Attourney, for the law suit you'll be pressing against both the store, and the individuals. Explain to them that you look forward to getting service on your new Cervelo they'll be paying for.
Unfortunately, a drive-thru is usually on private property. Cyclists are not a protected class of customer either. We will just have to spend our money elsewhere.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 04-23-08, 04:17 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
not so when it comes to a pharmacy and legally prescribed medication dispensing. You're playing with some different rules, then.
True, but you still have to follow policy. If a pharmacy has a drive thru, that implies a motor vehicle. If they don't, you can't drive your car into the store and cry discrimination against motorists when they ask you to leave the car outside, which is about as silly as what you're suggesting.
Old 04-23-08, 04:18 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
True, but you still have to follow policy. If a pharmacy has a drive thru, that implies a motor vehicle. If they don't, you can't drive your car into the store and cry discrimination against motorists when they ask you to leave the car outside, which is about as silly as what you're suggesting.
I should add to this that I've never been given a hard time rolling my bike with me into Rite-Aid to pick up prescriptions. Never tried riding it in
Old 04-23-08, 04:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by umd
I should add to this that I've never been given a hard time rolling my bike with me into Rite-Aid to pick up prescriptions. Never tried riding it in
I have actually thought about that before. Every now and then, my wife asks me to do a small errand while I'm on my training ride. I prefer to leave the lock and cleat covers at home, so the idea of riding through the store to pick up one item, then track stand in line, sounds like the perfect solution. I just haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet.
Old 04-23-08, 04:40 PM
shark2000br
Neovelophyte

Bikes: 2003 Felt F35 w Ultegra 6500 and new 105 Black crank.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you got hit on your bike while waiting for your Rx, you could sue the pharmacy. They have a formula that calculates the amount of cyclists it will piss off to have a no bike policy, and what percent of them will never come back because of it, and how much money that costs them. If its less than a lawsuit, they will gladly say no bikes, too bad. Go to a locally owned pharmacy.

As for everyone on expressways, could you imagine the idiots out there? You thought people yelled at you in a paceline...
Old 04-23-08, 04:45 PM
eb314

Bikes: 07 Cannondale Six13 (9 speed Ultegra) + 19?? Lugged Steel Specialized Allez Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SushiJoe
As a general rule, people at drive-throughs are dumb.
It's drive-thru, ain't y'ever been te skool?
Old 04-23-08, 04:52 PM
cmh

Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Ask the manager next time to call the police department for you and have an officer arrive to explain to the dorks that a bicycle has every legal right of a motor vehicle on a public road, including non-discriminatory service at some crappy fast food joint.
Then start asking for the full names of the window kids, and the manager, and start writing them down on a pad or post-it. Inform them the names are for your Attourney, for the law suit you'll be pressing against both the store, and the individuals. Explain to them that you look forward to getting service on your new Cervelo they'll be paying for.
Their response will be 'What the hell is a Cervelo? Now please go away.'
Old 04-23-08, 04:58 PM
GlassWolf
cat person

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True enough, I ever get a hard time either, but I live in a small town, know the Pharmacists and their families personally, and they all like me so I don't get crap from anyone typically. In fact they often go out of their way to be helpful when I run into issues with insurance, etc. It's one thing I love about small towns. Also, same with the local cops. most of them are family friends.
Old 04-23-08, 05:00 PM
Asian Sensation
nOOb to the MAX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
next time ride a fixed gear through backwards and see what they say
Old 04-23-08, 05:06 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Just say OK when they say "don't bring the bike next time." And just keep bringing the bike. Don't worry about it until they do something. They may never do anything. They may get used to you doing it. They might actually do something. At least you'll know something. Then tell us what happened.

I use drive up atm's, bank, drug store, etc. with bikes and the dog in the trike once in a while. Who cares what they think? I get in line with the other vehicles. No one does anything. Except the people at the drive up windows sometimes give the dog treats.
Old 04-23-08, 05:40 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never had to use a drive through pharmacy, but our local Commerce bank has no issues at all taking walk and ride ups to the drive through window, all they ask is that you use the actual window lane and not the ones with the pneumatic tubes.
Old 04-23-08, 05:46 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
Unfortunately, some people harbor a deep resentment for those who live a healthy lifestyle. Aren't you glad you're you and not him?
+10. i know a few.
Old 04-23-08, 05:57 PM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the DMV a while back to get my driver's permit in full kit. The people in there had never seen anything like it. The woman at the desk asked me why I didn't just drive down there. I looked at her, then at my application for a driver's license, then at her. She didn't see the connection. Then she ordered me to take my bike outside. Fortuantely one of the security guards came over and offered to keep an eye on it. He refused to believe how much my (modest Fuji) cost.
Old 04-23-08, 06:17 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tombailey
I went to the DMV a while back to get my driver's permit in full kit. The people in there had never seen anything like it. The woman at the desk asked me why I didn't just drive down there. I looked at her, then at my application for a driver's license, then at her. She didn't see the connection. Then she ordered me to take my bike outside. Fortuantely one of the security guards came over and offered to keep an eye on it. He refused to believe how much my (modest Fuji) cost.
The nearest DMV office here has a bike rack out front.

And it's actually placed where it's out of the weather.
Old 04-23-08, 06:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

True enough, I ever get a hard time either, but I live in a small town, know the Pharmacists and their families personally, and they all like me so I don't get crap from anyone typically. In fact they often go out of their way to be helpful when I run into issues with insurance, etc. It's one thing I love about small towns. Also, same with the local cops. most of them are family friends.
Do you live near Houghton, by any chance?

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Just say OK when they say "don't bring the bike next time." And just keep bringing the bike. Don't worry about it until they do something. They may never do anything. They may get used to you doing it. They might actually do something. At least you'll know something. Then tell us what happened.
Good point. They probably won't do anything, but will keep asking you not to so they're covered if you get hurt.

Originally Posted by tombailey
Ironic, yet not surprising. Funny thing is, I actually know of someone who drove to the DMV to take his driving test. When he was asked who drove him there, he said "I did" and they gave him a fail before even administering the test.
Old 04-23-08, 06:35 PM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A non-issue, IMO. It's a security issue.

They don't want you to rob the drive thru window (it's harder to do in a car).
Old 04-23-08, 06:39 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by shakeNbake

Hum, harder to rob a drive thru in a car, have to see the studies on that one. I really think if you emailed the home office the situation would be fixed and you could go back and laugh at fat boy. But that would not be the right thing to do. Do it anyway.
Old 04-23-08, 06:41 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
That just doesn't make any sense
Hahaha. Does that surprise you?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-23-08, 06:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by making
Hum, harder to rob a drive thru in a car, have to see the studies on that one. I really think if you emailed the home office the situation would be fixed and you could go back and laugh at fat boy. But that would not be the right thing to do. Do it anyway.
I don't know about that. I have talked to a few regional managers of fast food companies and they have that policy for liability reasons if the biker or pedestrian get hit by a car. I have also seen news reports that show guys on bikes (not a nice bike in a lycra kit, however) robbing walk up and drive thru windows (usually fast food, though) on bike because there is no license plate, it's hard to identify a person wearing a helmet and sunglasses, you can flee on the road as well as footpaths and other places a car can't go.
Old 04-23-08, 06:46 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would they tell a guy on a motorcycle to not use the drive through?
Old 04-23-08, 06:48 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea... you do that. I'll bet you're more likely to end up in the back of a squad car than you are to get that new Cervelo.

Even if the law were clear cut, you can't count on the local police actually knowing it. Remember, most police dislike cyclist as much as everyone else.

On our ride last night, the only close pass and honk came from a Sherrif's car, who put a wheel across a double-yellow, and passed us and an oncoming car at the same time.
Old 04-23-08, 06:49 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by SSP
Would they tell a guy on a motorcycle to not use the drive through?
Although I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen a motorcycle in a drive thru, I will point out that it's not the same. Motorcycles are bigger, heavier, and usually have brake lights, etc. That makes it a moot point to bring up.
Old 04-23-08, 06:50 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I don't know about that. I have talked to a few regional managers of fast food companies and they have that policy for liability reasons if the biker or pedestrian get hit by a car. I have also seen news reports that show guys on bikes (not a nice bike in a lycra kit, however) robbing walk up and drive thru windows (usually fast food, though) on bike because there is no license plate, it's hard to identify a person wearing a helmet and sunglasses, you can flee on the road as well as footpaths and other places a car can't go.
have not thoght about that. i learn so much on BF. Interesting to see how this turns out.
Old 04-23-08, 06:50 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by shakeNbake

Yeah, whenever I rob a bank I prefer to do it on my bicycle for a super quick getaway.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.