Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

cleaning rust off chrome?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 06:31 PM
Angus37
Master of the Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My bearing cups are looking pretty sad, rusty and pitted. I'd like to clean them up; what is the best way?

Also, is there a way to re-apply chrome to these?
Old 05-02-08, 06:22 AM
borgagain
Oldtimer

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Need more information. Where are these cups? In your hubs? What make and model of bike?

In any case, if the cups are rusty and pitted where the bearings run on them, the part and bearings should be replaced. Cups are not usually chromed, except on cheap Ashtabula parts where they just chrome or nickel plate all of the working parts, including the cones. This usually flakes off from the pressure of the bearings and should be cleaned and re-greased after a few weeks use.

If you are referring to the outside part of a steel hub or something and its not a rare part, you may find it cheaper to locate a replacement in better condition, than to disassemble the wheel and have the hubs re-chromed. Otherwise, check your Yellow Pages for re-chroming businesses. They can tell you how to prepare the part before you give it to them. Make it clear that you do not want the interior (cups) chromed.
Old 05-02-08, 11:54 AM
1/8 kid
gdmfsob

Bikes: steelwool truffle pig, sycip crossdresser, signal cycles track, ciocc designer 84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for rust removal try rust removal gel.
it works great for light-medium buildup and it won't wear out the existing chrome.
you can get it at any hardware or auto parts shop.

for heavier buildup, try electrolysis.
it's a simple process and will completely remove the rust from any metal object.
you may have to rechrome if you use electrolysis, as it wil affect the existing chrome finish.
all you need is water, houshold washing soda, and a power supply that can put out 2amps of continuous charge, like a automotive battery charger. you can find complete instructions online.

for rechroming, try this
https://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm
it's fairly cheap and works great.
Old 05-02-08, 05:39 PM
Kinetikx
Eater of carbs

Bikes: 1989 Trek 330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oxalic acid in my opinion is the best and easiest method for anything that is chromed. Do a search and you'll learn all you need to know.
Old 05-02-08, 09:41 PM
Angus37
Master of the Universe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about the lack of information. I'm pretty new at all of this and so don't always know the proper names. I'll try to explain:

The headset (? - front of bike, connects top tube and down tube) has two chrome cups on either end that hold the bearings. I have heard these referred to as bearing cups, and this is what I have been referring to.
Old 05-02-08, 10:31 PM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the rust isn't too bad, just use a synthetic scouring pad like 3M's Scotchbrite with some soapy water to clean it up. Use some automotive wax on it afterwards to keep the rust from coming back.
Re-chroming a headset is rarely worth the trouble and cost. New cheap chromed steel headsets are $10 or less.
Old 05-03-08, 06:50 PM
mishmashmusic
Vinyl Junkie

Bikes: Miele Gara, Schwinn Moab 2, Specialized Hardrock, various other bikes in disrepair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had luck polishing chrome with a crumpled-up piece of aluminum foil...