Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Under 30 contingent?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Under 30 contingent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 10:28 AM
TehK

Bikes: 2003 Novara Randonnee, Miyata 512, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
19, 20 in August.
Old 05-06-08, 10:34 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
24 and out of college, so I can't get in on the college races, but I haven't had many/any problems with people of "more maturity" not wanting to ride or being more snobby than they are already.
Do check the college scene - around here at least, almost all the college teams are really cool.
Old 05-06-08, 10:36 AM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
seventeeeeeeen
Old 05-06-08, 10:37 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
27 here.
Old 05-06-08, 10:41 AM
euphoria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a lot of guys under 25 are on the local A ride, too (and i've made a few friends at the weekly crit)

IMO young road riders lean toward racing because (besides the testosterone overflow) it sounds a lot better when you're explaining your hobby to someone new
Old 05-06-08, 10:48 AM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll be 27 in September.
Old 05-06-08, 11:06 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is an amusing observation - no cyclists under 30 posting here. I get that feeling sometimes as well, but I think that is because some of the 40 and 50 year olds in here are a little bit, um, obsessed. At least two members who post with annoying frequency in every thread are in there 40s or 50s from what I've gathered (as they post pics of themselves).

I find it kind of odd that people that age are as locked into the internet as they are. I mean, I expect my undergraduate college students to be all over facebook, myspace, flickr, etc., but I find it pretty weird that some people over 50 have worked hard to develop an internet persona in some small corner of the interwebs. I also find it extremely odd that some of these posters refer to themselves in the third person. Wow, that is bizarre, in my opinion.

I look in a few different subforums and what you have noticed is a broad generalization, but with some truth. The SS/FG subforum tends to be full of younger urban/campus based people who are brand new to cycling and are getting into it originally as a movement/style. Good to see people riding, but a bit annoying when the person drops $2000-$3000 on a bike, only rides 2 miles a day, and can't change a flat. But, to each their own...

I feel this forum tends to be older folks, as some have said. Yeah, maybe road riding is more attractive when you have a wife and kids at home But, there are some twentysomethings here. I find the people in here that are 50, shave their legs, take supplements, and post 42 times a day and in every thread just as annoying as the fixed riders who are following a style, not a sport/leisure activity. I have too many hobbies and pursuits to get overly involved in any one of them, though I do enjoy riding bicycles. I personally find it hard to understand the fifty year olds in this forum that are ultra-competitive and will call you a eunuch if you aren't putting in 100 miles a day. I guess maybe since I played competitive sports for most of my life I'm just not that competitive anymore. I ride for my own personal enjoyment.

Just some observations, not condemning anyone. Anyway, yep, there are some 20s folks around here. I'm one of them.
Old 05-06-08, 11:16 AM
Naterider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
That is an amusing observation - no cyclists under 30 posting here. I get that feeling sometimes as well, but I think that is because some of the 40 and 50 year olds in here are a little bit, um, obsessed. At least two members who post with annoying frequency in every thread are in there 40s or 50s from what I've gathered (as they post pics of themselves).

I find it kind of odd that people that age are as locked into the internet as they are. I mean, I expect my undergraduate college students to be all over facebook, myspace, flickr, etc., but I find it pretty weird that some people over 50 have worked hard to develop an internet persona in some small corner of the interwebs. I also find it extremely odd that some of these posters refer to themselves in the third person. Wow, that is bizarre, in my opinion.

I look in a few different subforums and what you have noticed is a broad generalization, but with some truth. The SS/FG subforum tends to be full of younger urban/campus based people who are brand new to cycling and are getting into it originally as a movement/style. Good to see people riding, but a bit annoying when the person drops $2000-$3000 on a bike, only rides 2 miles a day, and can't change a flat. But, to each their own...

I feel this forum tends to be older folks, as some have said. Yeah, maybe road riding is more attractive when you have a wife and kids at home But, there are some twentysomethings here. I find the people in here that are 50, shave their legs, take supplements, and post 42 times a day and in every thread just as annoying as the fixed riders who are following a style, not a sport/leisure activity. I have too many hobbies and pursuits to get overly involved in any one of them, though I do enjoy riding bicycles. I personally find it hard to understand the fifty year olds in this forum that are ultra-competitive and will call you a eunuch if you aren't putting in 100 miles a day. I guess maybe since I played competitive sports for most of my life I'm just not that competitive anymore. I ride for my own personal enjoyment.

Just some observations, not condemning anyone. Anyway, yep, there are some 20s folks around here. I'm one of them.
Nice post. Pcad - Botto- I am waiting for a witty comeback.

I dont have a problem with the heavy posters. It's kinda like blogging, only with a bunch more readers (fans). Most humans like attention. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-06-08, 11:19 AM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My high score is currently 28. Those of you with higher scores should be thankful... a large portion of this world doesn't live past 15. We're all living exceptionally privileged lives - we actually can take the time to ride bicycles for pleasure and fitness and we're not being chased out of our homes by people with machetes or assault rifles, nor working under forced labour.

Enjoy your life, no matter what age. If you think about how small and completely insignificant this planet is in the Universe... and then how small and insignificant our individual lives are in the grand scheme of things... age shouldn't be something to be afraid of, but should be an achievement. Enjoy it. Enjoy life. It could end at any possible second, without warning - appreciate the run/ride you've had so far.
Old 05-06-08, 11:33 AM
brad06ag
Whatever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 24 and only have 1 friend my age that enjoys road bikes... I know tons of people my age that ride mountain bike though
Old 05-06-08, 11:38 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I'm a seventeen year old hot chick that likes to ride bikes.

Okay, not really. I'm actually an overweight, dirty old man, that hasn't ridden a bike since I was in grade school. Why does age matter anyway?
Ok, lets just forget about that PM I sent you about meeting for a milk shake and mazzola party, m'kay?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-06-08, 11:45 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Damn whipper-snappers and their new fangled..... ...is it time for my nap already?
Old 05-06-08, 11:48 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Planning. Hoping to time it for next Summer. Also hoping to coach him/her in cycling
Sounds good! Bike trailers are not to bad and commuting to work may help get that ride time back up
Old 05-06-08, 11:59 AM
UniversalFrost
AiM SmAlL mIsS sMaLl

Bikes: 08 Spec. Rockhopper, 11 Spec. Crux, 04 Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really age has nothing to do with a person, maturity and "how old you feel" determine your "age"

Me I am 29 and have always been called mature for my age since I was a teenager, probably because I act responsibly and take full responsibility for my actions and don't whine and moan like most folks out there that are in the under 30 crowd.

Also, most under 30 folks that are wanting to look "cool" on 2 wheels are into motorcycles ( ihave motorcycles but not for the "cool" factor) and most race/road bicycles cost as much as a used or lower end new motorcycle. Plus the fact that the average american is LAZY they would rather get the motorcycle than a road/race bike.

Personally I don't care how old someone is, it really depends on how they act both on and off the road.

JOE
Old 05-06-08, 01:16 PM
mattm
**** that

Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
i'm turning 30 in june.. can i join the youngin's club for now?

but i feel your pain - you should see the age distribution at local randonneur rides - i'm easily the youngest out there, and the average age has to be above 40-45.

my race videos
Old 05-06-08, 02:05 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Just turned 19.
Old 05-06-08, 03:07 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by thechemist
Sounds good! Bike trailers are not to bad and commuting to work may help get that ride time back up
I already commute to work, but a trailer is definitely an idea.
Old 05-06-08, 05:24 PM
RacerJRP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm relatively new to cycling as well...bought my bike the end of last year. I'm 21.
Old 05-06-08, 05:55 PM
tropacanita

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its very sad to see so many bitter young people. No?
Old 05-06-08, 06:00 PM
Youngin
ub3r n00b

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tropacanita
STFU. I'm 15.
Old 05-06-08, 06:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I thought most cyclists on this forum were under 25 ... perhaps even under 20.
Old 05-06-08, 06:05 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tropacanita
Bitter?
Old 05-06-08, 06:29 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
24 but I'm told all the time I look like I'm 30. It gets old. I've been riding since I was 18 and only recently found a friend that graduated with me got into road cycling. He's been into mountain biking since we were kids. I got into mountain biking last year, more friends involved with it. But road is more fun.
Old 05-06-08, 06:38 PM
chrism32205

Bikes: Bianchi Axis (commuter), Specialized Tricross S-Works, BMC Team Machine SLT01, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27 here.. started out with a road bike, now i have 3 fixed gear bikes that i ride. I dont follow the trend of the fixed crowd, or drink..

I am myself looking for group rides, and not from bar to bar.. lol
Old 05-06-08, 06:52 PM
Bantam

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 22, in college, poor, and I race. Most kids my age race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.