Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Skagit Spring Classic - May 10 - Chuckanut Drive ?

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 05:53 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I was thinking about doing the Skagit Spring Classic this Saturday (May 10); good excuse to do Chuckanut Drive by bike.

https://www.skagitbicycleclub.org/articles/765

However, I would have thought that the best way to do Chuckanut Drive is from North to South; this ride (according to the map) does it from South to North (meaning one would be on the inland side of the road). Wouldn't the view be better coming from the North? Also, aren't prevailing winds along there from the North?

I'm wondering if anyone who's ridden this route (or this ride) has an opinion on the best way to approach the ride? I've always thought the best way to do would be to start from the North very early (before the cars are out in force).

Not sure if I have time to go this Saturday but I'd like to copy their route some day, but possibly ride it in the reverse direction...
Old 05-05-08, 06:52 PM
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just signed up for this ride. We hope to do the full century, but we'll make that decision on ride day (depending on weather, health, phase of the moon, etc).

The one time I rode Chuckanut drive was during the Tulip Pedal ride (40 mile loop). We rode Chuckanut southbound from the town of Edison to Avon Allen Road. I don't know what the prevailing winds are, but that day they were *howling* from the south, making this the most unpleasant leg of the ride. With my luck, the winds next Saturday will be howling from the north...

Here's a Bikely route for the 100 mile ride: https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/134280. The start is near the lower left corner on Josh Wilson Road.
Old 05-05-08, 07:00 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

I was playing around with their route map last night and I was thinking of making my own route of about 70-ish miles in order to carve a couple hours off the ride. (you can see the direction the route takes if you click through to the route map on their website link, above).

You can cut off 25 miles by:
- *not* doing the loop on the southeast corner of the ride, which loops down toward Sedro-Woolley
- and then, at the end of the ride, when you come back west across I-5, you head straight back toward the school, and cut out the loop that heads out toward the shore.

Basically that gives you the Chuckanut Drive, the ride south and across I-5, the loop up to Lake Whatcom, and then back to the start. More than a metric, less than a century...
Old 05-05-08, 07:25 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm going to be down in Oly, riding with FlowerBlossom that day. We're looking to do between 50-70 some miles ourselves!

East Hill
Old 05-05-08, 09:39 PM
TommyL
convert

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love riding Chukanut, and I always do it south to north. The main reason for me is that I want to be on the east side of the Chukanut mountains when the sun is most likely to be in the eats part of the sky, and I want to be on the west side of the mountains later in the day. There is a lot of shade regardless, but it stinks to ride in the shade all day and never see the sun.

Sounds like fun, too bad I'll be playing in an ultimate tournament in Burlington that day.
Old 05-05-08, 11:40 PM
Mark Turner
Old Cyclist

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think northbound or southbound makes much difference on Chuckanut. I've ridden south from Bellingham, turned around and ridden back home. Winds can be variable, as someone else noted. Most days I'm out there the wind isn't bad. A loop I do periodically from B'ham is south to Lake Samish, cross I-5 to old 99, south to Alger, west to Colony Road which goes back under I-5 and over to Chuckanut, then north on Chuckanut back to town. It's about 35 miles if I recall. There are places on Chuckanut that can feel pretty narrow, but I've never had problems with cars.
Old 05-06-08, 07:58 AM
TommyL
convert

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the same route I do! I think Chukanut feels safer to me because most cars aren't using it as a shortcut to get anywhere. If they are out there, it's because they want to go for a nice, easy scenic drive.
Old 05-06-08, 04:22 PM
Corcis
Beer-fueled

Bikes: Giant Rincon (199x), 2005 Trek 1000, 19?? "Apollo Sport 10" by Kuwahara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden Chuckanut a few times. Never had a problem with cars or wind. Southbound seems more scenic.

Never thought to ride Samish down to I-5 and hop over to Alger, though - definitely an idea worth taking.
Old 05-08-08, 01:15 PM
BengeBoy 

Thanks, all. This is now on my calendar - my first ride up Chuckanut will therefore be south to north.

Weather forecast for Saturday is 25% chance of showers in Burlington (ride start) in the AM, rising to 45% in the afternoon. Light winds.

Forecast for Sunday: doing penance in the garden (pulling weeds) for Mothers Day.
Old 05-10-08, 06:31 PM
BengeBoy 

Did the ride -- it was great! I'm definitely doing this one again -- great scenery; well organized; little traffic.

Pics here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=416825
Old 05-13-08, 08:23 AM
s2cycle

Bikes: daVinci tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have friends who won't ride this one because of all the chip-seal. That wasn't as bad as the headwinds in the flats! Fortunately we were two tandems so we were able to take turns breaking. The singles who drafted us were grateful. All in all a nice ride. I mostly love all doing Chuckanut. We have a new Garmin Edge 705. I think there's something fishy with how the elevation is working but here's a link to our file: https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5640194

Sheila
Old 05-13-08, 06:06 PM
moleman76

Bikes: Stella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by s2cycle
I think there's something fishy
about the windspeed reported ... I'd have pegged it a 2x that for several of the sections.