Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

OC Commute Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 01:49 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OC Commute Question

Any OC bike commuters (or even non-commuters, but I can't imagine the destinations I'm thinking of coincide with any common pleasure-ride routes.) care to chime in on a commute related question?

What's the best route from the the vicinity of Warner & Bolsa Chica, in Huntington Beach, to the Metrolink station (120 E. Santa Fe Avenue Fullerton, CA 92832), in Fullerton?

Google maps' "avoid highways" option suggests the following: https://tinyurl.com/3uc689

I'm not real familiar with the area, but I am familiar with Bolsa Chica, and figure there's gotta be a better option than that. Are any of the other nearby, north-south arterials, more bike friendly?

Any suggestions for a route? And what kind of time am I looking at at a relatively brisk pace (avg. ~18 mph).

Looks like any way I go there are going to be a lot of stop lights.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-08, 03:07 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SART would take you out of your way a bit but would be a nicer ride.
Old 06-03-08, 03:08 PM
Nerdanel 
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried Bike Metro?
Old 06-03-08, 03:13 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commuted in that area for a long time. For your goals I'd prefer going east on Warner or maybe Eddinger to Euclid then north. The more East and South I got the safer I felt.
Old 06-03-08, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I would avoid big streets like Warner and Edinger, try Heil.
Old 06-03-08, 03:35 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
The SART would take you out of your way a bit but would be a nicer ride.
Yeah. I thought about that, and sorta looked at it on google maps. Looks like quite a bit out of the way though, and for my purposes (trying to catch the 0619 train, so I can be to work in San Berdoo not too long after 0800), I'd prefer to limit any lengthy detours.

Originally Posted by Nerdanel
Have you tried Bike Metro?
Tried it earlier, waited forever for something useful to load and gave up. I've used that site before though, with some success. Are they hosted on theplanet.com? (Big webhost that had an explosion at their datacenter yesterday. I've had some difficulty accessing other web pages

Originally Posted by ken cummings
I commuted in that area for a long time. For your goals I'd prefer going east on Warner or maybe Eddinger to Euclid then north.
Cool. I'll scope it out when I get a chance.

Thanks all. This is just the kind of information I'm looking for.

FWIW, I'm trying to accomplish the multi-pronged goal of seeing more of my gf, who lives in HB, while still getting miles in on the bike and avoiding a hellish a.m. commute on the 91 and sky-high gas bills. The metrolink isn't exactly cheap either but, gas prices are probably high enough now that it's cheaper than my 21 MPG gas-guzzler.

Dunno if it's tenable mid-week (The evening train schedule is kinda spotty between here and there, and it looks like I'd have to be in Riverside before 6:00. Not really doable, considering I'd have less than an hour to ride to downtown Riverside, from N. San Bernardino.), but it might work for a Monday morning commute, after riding out there over the weekend.
Old 06-03-08, 03:36 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
I commuted in that area for a long time. For your goals I'd prefer going east on Warner or maybe Eddinger to Euclid then north. The more East and South I got the safer I felt.
Why not just take Warner or Edinger to the SART? It may be a little further but wouldn't you make the time up by avoiding traffic lights? Not to mention keeping the stress level down.
Old 06-03-08, 10:38 PM
WhiteCarbonDude
aka. vertical jon

Location: Anaheim, Home of the Los Angeles? Angels of Anaheim... in Orange County?

Bikes: White Carbon Token, Cannondale Mtn, 1975 Peugeot UO-8 Golden Fixed Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Springdale St. North, Orangewood Ave. East, Dale St. North, Broadway East, West St. North, Romneya Dr. East, Lemon St North, E Santa Fe Ave West.