Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Racing the animals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Racing the animals

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 07:04 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Racing the animals

Two days ago, while riding, I saw this shadow to my right. It kept up with me at 15 mph. I finally figured out it was a butterfly shadow.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a rabbit running beside me timed for some distance at 17 mph.

Yesterday, I almost got "prairie dogged" as two prairie dogs crossed the path in front of me. One ALMOST got into my front spokes. Yikes! Minced prairie dog. (We call them prairie rats around here).

Yesterday, a deer jumped in front of me crossing the trail.

And, I am always dodging snakes. Last summer, another bicyclist was directing traffic around a large bull snake completely blocking the trail.

Any other current animal stories?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-08-08 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-08-08, 07:23 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I have an Egret. There is a spot where one of my offroad trails crosses a pond for about 1/2 mile on a causway (rail trail). Sometimes he/she will come out and pace me across the pond.

Same pond has a beaver house.

And snakes.
Old 06-08-08, 07:45 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Squirrels, they start to dash across the trail, stop – run right and left, stop and then dart off again. You never know how to turn to avoid them. Two weeks ago a white peacock was right in my path – at first I thought it was a duck – took flight and before it got good air speed almost landed in my lap.
Old 06-08-08, 07:53 AM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I understand it, a Fox is in a race to the White House with a donkey and an elephant.
Old 06-08-08, 08:00 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, as I have mentioned before, on almost every ride an antelope either crosses my path or paces me running along side the road (until they get get bored and dart off ahead). And, since the wind is blowing 40 mph this morning - I will not get to see that today.
Old 06-08-08, 08:05 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
As I understand it, a Fox is in a race to the White House with a donkey and an elephant.
and he is traveling by MUP.
Old 06-08-08, 09:20 AM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I had a turtle run beside me for a while.
Old 06-08-08, 09:39 AM
deraltekluge

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so slow that even the turtles find me boring.
Old 06-08-08, 11:07 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Well, in keeping with other posts about the perils of cell phones, I have to add a new cell phone danger -- the danger to pets.

Yesterday I was out about 6 a.m. on a ride and I come along a dog, wandering alone, in the middle of the street. He starts to chase me, and I start to outrun him, and then I realize that he's a pretty nice dog and possibly is out loose and alone (as a dog owner, I always stop for strays, and frequently get escapees back to their owners). So I circle back to the dog and stop. I get off my bike so I don't scare him, and I'm standing in the middle of the street, trying to get the dog to come to me, when after a little bit I notice a guy sauntering down the street a half block back, talking on his cell phone.

Me: "Excuse me, is that your dog?"
No answer, guy continues talking
Me: "Hey, is that your dog?"
No answer
Me: "Hey, you clueless idiot on a cellphone, is this your dog?"
(Actually, I didn't say that, but felt like it...)

The guy finally stops as he comes near me -- keeps talking on the phone....then I hear him telling the person on the other end to wait. He then looks up at me and say, "Oh yeah, sorry, that's my dog. Thanks for stopping."

I don't say what I feel like saying, (which is, "If you're going to let your dog run loose in the street while you talk on the phone, you don't deserve a fine dog like this,") I just say, "I thought he was lost," get on my bike, and go on my way....
Old 06-08-08, 11:15 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I passed a cicada on Wednesday.

Not rectally.

It flew along side me for about ten yards. It kind of freaked me out. I imagined that millions of cicadas would descend on me in a show of unity to the one I was leaving in the dust.

Then I accidentally ran over another one. It got real creepy then.
Old 06-08-08, 01:47 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never had an animal "run" with me, but yesterday I played stare-down with the most beautiful large buck. He was only about 30 yards away on a remote rural road, and must be used to people riding by.
Old 06-08-08, 02:55 PM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seeing wild animals where I bicycle are rare sights. Today, though, I was privileged to see a pair of coyotes run across the road in front of me (not to close). Once in a while I will get to see a flock of wild turkeys at the park, but I haven't seen them for a while.
Old 06-08-08, 04:55 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Squirrels, they start to dash across the trail, stop – run right and left, stop and then dart off again. You never know how to turn to avoid them.
I was riding the local MUP and came across a female roadie laying in the path in pain. I help her up, check for serious injuries, and give her my first aid kit. I asked what happened. She said she was trying to dodge a Squirrel and then suddenly she's going over the handlebars. I look at her bike and what's left of the Squirrel is still tangled up in her shredded front wheel and fork.
Old 06-08-08, 05:17 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On my way home from work I ride three miles on an MUP through
the woods along Rt. 390. In the wee hours of the morning, usually
around dawn, I'll be joined by many startled squirrels and rabbits,
occasional chipmonks and sometimes a deer. Recently though, I've
been overtaking hundreds of little insects. Not so much fun!!
Old 06-08-08, 05:25 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the rural Wisconsin rail trails, I "run" with animals on just about every ride. Rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, birds, butterflies, bumblebees, and occasionally deer, cranes, and snakes. Our trails run between high banks and trees frequently, so when you surprise an animal or even a bird, they will usually try to outrun you down the trail.

As I'm usually riding along at 12-14, I stay in contact with some of the animals for rather long runs, sometimes for 300-400 yards.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-08-08, 06:26 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
Never had an animal "run" with me......
Well...maybe....
Do mosquitoes qualify as animals??
Old 06-08-08, 07:00 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We saw a big pond turtle trying to cross the MUP last weekend. (Rats! No camera.) And a while back we saw a very nonchalant great blue heron on the edge of the very busy Sausalito MUP. It must have been very used to people, and the people on that path must always be very well-behaved to wildlife, because it completely ignored us as we took its picture. The ones in Sonoma County fly away when we get closer than a few hundred yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GreatBlueHeron.jpg (66.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-08-08, 07:43 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I'm in KY - I ride along side many horses in Horse farms. They FREQUENTLY like to ride along side me particularily the colts. Really a magic moment.
Old 06-08-08, 08:09 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
We do not ride MUPs but have encountered all sorts of animals on the road.
In northern AZ had a doe come at us; she veered off and raced us for about 1/2 mile before losing interest; neat. Had a huge bull jump a fence in front of us, rushing across the road only to run into a vine overgrown fence; bouncing off that he turned around and full tilt when at the first fence and jumped it back into the pasture.
Stoker Kay has been 'divebombed' by a bird (must've had young 'uns nearby).
Roadrunners and coyotes are quite common and they seem to be curious while cutting in front of us. Nearly T-boned a young deer at 40+mph descending a Mule Pass in Bisbee, AZ.
Encounters with snakes, one cougar, a fox, a bob cat and yes, cows laying in the middle of the roadway on our early morning rides. Red-headed buzzards love to pick at roadkill but are extremely slow at takeoffs and did encounter some of those years ago. Wild pigs (javelinas) always have the right of way as do the occasional gila monsters (slow and poisonous).
Had a playful St. Bernard rush at us (picture pony-size) in Michigan but then getting the tandem behind us. Dogs of all sizes have chased and tried to run along side. Have been chased by honking geese in Indiana an a goat too. Stoker carries a whistle for such happenings and the shrill sound usually brakes up their concentration.
Hey every day can be an adventure!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy annd Kay/zonatandem
Old 06-08-08, 08:29 PM
conurejade
flying on 2 wheels

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Louis
I had a turtle run beside me for a while.
Who won?
Old 06-08-08, 08:32 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,301 Times in 896 Posts
Dumb possums!
Old 06-08-08, 08:33 PM
MTBLover
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chipmunks. I always encounter one who wants to race me when I'm on a trail here. As for insects, I've never encountered a cicada (post #10), which would be so awesome, but I have raced a few butterflies like DF. Mostly monarchs- those babies are pretty fast. I've also hammered through a group of carpenter bees- thank goodness none got in my helmet!
Old 06-08-08, 09:06 PM
Louis

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by conurejade
Who won?
It was too close to tell until I sprayed him with my dog repellent. After that he began to show signs of weakening. That's when I put the hammer down and smoked his reptile ass.

Bring on those snails!
Old 06-08-08, 09:13 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I see lots of turkeys, many deer, ground squirrels, tree squirrels, snakes, a few dogs. I occasionally have to gobble to get the turkeys out of my way. Except for the occasional dog I don't have to outrun any of them.

Today I had come to a near-halt because a female coyote stepped into my lane. She was so focused on her prey (whatever it was; I never saw it) that she was unaware of my presence, even at 6'. I could tell by her semi-swollen teats and drawn-up waist that she was nursing pups somewhere. I could've stopped and taken a picture but I was afraid I'd disrupt her hunting mojo; her successful hunt was more important than my pic. She was so close I could see her yellow-green eyes, shaggy coat, bushy tail, every hair. She made my entire Mt. Diablo hill repeat ride worthwhile.
Old 06-08-08, 09:22 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen coyotes in my yard, along with foxes, but never yet on a ride. That would be neat.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.