Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace or Ultegra or 105 bottom brackets.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-04, 05:01 PM
Berodesign

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Is there any significant difference in quality between dura ace, ultegra and 105 when it comes to bottom brackets???
Old 10-20-04, 06:29 PM
sch

Liked 137 Times in 105 Posts
The differences are most pronounced at the cash register. On the bike most of this
will evaporate and you would be unable to tell which BB is which after mounting on the bike.
This is for pre '04 DA, the '04 DA introduced a new design to get all excited about. Steve
Old 10-21-04, 04:14 PM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DA BB's have never made it more than one year of riding for me while Ultegra has outlasted the bike. I can't speak to 105, but I would save money and skip out on the DA. Again, this is for the last generation splined stuff.
Old 10-21-04, 05:16 PM
late

Liked 1,508 Times in 1,117 Posts
The '04 105 cranks use the same BB Ultegra does. I switched from an Ultegra crank in the spring to a 105, same BB worked for both.
Old 10-22-04, 09:06 AM
EagleEye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImprezaDrvr
DA BB's have never made it more than one year of riding for me while Ultegra has outlasted the bike. I can't speak to 105, but I would save money and skip out on the DA. Again, this is for the last generation splined stuff.
Yep, yep. Had DA and it only lasted 3 months. Installed Ultegra and haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-22-04, 09:19 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EagleEye
Yep, yep. Had DA and it only lasted 3 months. Installed Ultegra and haven't had a problem since.
wow! that's surprising. DA is that s**tty, huh? I have an Ultegra BB and i haven't even noticed it to tell you the truth. it's been on my bike for over a year now and works flawlessly. i guess from reading this Ultegra is the way to go.
Old 10-22-04, 09:22 AM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
wow! that's surprising. DA is that s**tty, huh? I have an Ultegra BB and i haven't even noticed it to tell you the truth. it's been on my bike for over a year now and works flawlessly. i guess from reading this Ultegra is the way to go.
It's a good BB. It's usually the installation that is sheotty. It cost more, and saves 49 grams over ultegra, but the ultegra is a no brainer throwaway type.

Last edited by sydney; 10-22-04 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-22-04, 09:24 AM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by late
The '04 105 cranks use the same BB Ultegra does. I switched from an Ultegra crank in the spring to a 105, same BB worked for both.
The 105/ ultegra octalink are interchangable, but not identical. Different part #s and weights.
Old 10-22-04, 12:37 PM
Berodesign

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Isnt the DA also a throw-away cartridge ****** type??? I am going to use a NOS Shimano 600 BB cup and spindle type for my bike building project.
Old 10-22-04, 12:47 PM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Berodesign
Isnt the DA also a throw-away cartridge ****** type??? I am going to use a NOS Shimano 600 BB cup and spindle type for my bike building project.
Not the 9 speed DA. It's a rebuildable loose bearing type,but with the octalink spindle like the ultegra and 105. The 600 cartridge is a square taper throw away cartridge as were the 8 speed DA square taper cartridge types.There were also older 600 and DA cup and ball loose spindle types. All depends on what vintage you are talking about.
Old 10-23-04, 04:34 PM
Berodesign

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hehe, cool that they still use the loose bearing type on the really hardcore stuff.
I am talking about mid 80:ties 600 EX. Those are square taper type with loose bearings.