Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

$500 - $600 bike suggestions

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 11:38 AM
naiku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am new here, currently without a bike, and have not looked at bikes for a few years. But now I want to get back into riding, and unfortunately am completely out of touch with what bikes are around. So here I am hoping for some recommendations, I figure if I give you guys a budget, the type of bike I want, what kind of riding I want to do that should hopefully allow you to give me some bikes to look at. I know I can buy cheaper online, but would prefer to buy from a local shop, however if its a big price difference on the same bike it will be hard to justify spending the extra.

Ok, so I am 29, 6'1" and about 210lbs (trying to lose weight, goal is about 180). Budget is going to be around $500 - $600 (although if anything cheaper and worthwhile is around, for example 2007 bikes vs 2008 then thats fine). I plan to mostly ride on trails around my house, but will most likely also have the occasional ride on the pavement. From what I can tell, for my budget its going to be hard to find a DS bike thats any good, but would prefer a hard tail anyway. Thats about all I can think of, if you need to know anything else then let me know.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-08, 12:15 PM
OUC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a great deal on a bike from Performance. Those bikes are all descent and a good value. Nothing wrong with getting a bike on line though. You just need to be careful that you get the correct fit, which is what the bike shop should be able to help you with. My brother got a great deal on ebay on a road bike with some patience and lot's of looking.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=3050

riding alone won't make you lose weight though. Your diet is the bigger part of the equation. I would estimate the breakdown is 25% riding 75% diet. Eat less and right and the lbs. will drop. You don't even need a bike if you do this part right. But riding would be funner.
Old 06-09-08, 12:58 PM
naiku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OUC
riding alone won't make you lose weight though. Your diet is the bigger part of the equation. I would estimate the breakdown is 25% riding 75% diet. Eat less and right and the lbs. will drop. You don't even need a bike if you do this part right. But riding would be funner.
Don't worry, I know the riding alone is not going to make me lose weight. Diet has already changed, and I have a treadmill + bowflex at home to help with the losing weight. The riding is mostly for fun, and of course the fitness benefits that come with it.

Thanks for the link, taking a look now.
Old 06-09-08, 01:08 PM
indygreg
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things IMHO, one you asked and one you did not.
1. 90% of weightloss is what you put in your mouth. 10% is exercise.
2. Add bikesdirect.com into your search. As was said, read up on fitting, but it is not rocket science. It is not even 2nd grade science.
Old 06-09-08, 05:23 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OUC
You can get a great deal on a bike from Performance. Those bikes are all descent and a good value.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=3050
What do others think of those Iron Horses 'Warrior's at Performance (3.0, 3.5, 5.0, 5.5)? Decent value? Heavy (~30-31 lbs) for a hardtail, right?

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 06-09-08, 06:22 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
What do others think of those Iron Horses 'Warrior's at Performance (3.0, 3.5, 5.0, 5.5)? Decent value? Heavy (~30-31 lbs) for a hardtail, right?
Personally, I do not think that the Any of the Iron Horses in that price range are very good. My friend fell down (He STOPPED and forgot to unclip) and the frame's rear triangle snapped on one side. My recomendation is a lower end Trek, Cannondale, or Gary Fisher. Then with the money that you save upgrade the componants.
Old 06-09-08, 11:51 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ca7erham
Personally, I do not think that the Any of the Iron Horses in that price range are very good. My friend fell down (He STOPPED and forgot to unclip) and the frame's rear triangle snapped on one side. My recomendation is a lower end Trek, Cannondale, or Gary Fisher. Then with the money that you save upgrade the componants.
I ask because I just helped my dad select an entry-level bike and he ended up with an Iron Horse. Performance price matched rscycle.com on a 2007 Warrior 3.0, then still gave a 10% discount (plus the membership points I earned). We walked out of there with a (supposedly) $699 bike for under $350. My dad (who is turning 66) is just excited that he got Deore shifters and disc brakes for under $500 or $600. I think it was a decent decision for someone without a mountain bike (and who only needs something just a bit tougher than a hybrid).

While I was tempted by the next model up (with Sram X.7 and Juicy 3's), I just kept thinking the frame, fork, and wheels can't be that great. Just the weight difference is enough to keep me riding my Genesis hardtail until I'm really ready to invest in a quality upgrade.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 06-10-08, 12:43 PM
ca7erham
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
I ask because I just helped my dad select an entry-level bike and he ended up with an Iron Horse. Performance price matched rscycle.com on a 2007 Warrior 3.0, then still gave a 10% discount (plus the membership points I earned). We walked out of there with a (supposedly) $699 bike for under $350. My dad (who is turning 66) is just excited that he got Deore shifters and disc brakes for under $500 or $600. I think it was a decent decision for someone without a mountain bike (and who only needs something just a bit tougher than a hybrid).

While I was tempted by the next model up (with Sram X.7 and Juicy 3's), I just kept thinking the frame, fork, and wheels can't be that great. Just the weight difference is enough to keep me riding my Genesis hardtail until I'm really ready to invest in a quality upgrade.
Nice score for $350. The problem with the frame may have been a fluke, but still.... With the money that you saved you could get a better frame and just put the components on that.
Old 06-10-08, 04:48 PM
F1reb1rd

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc for 509.99, and I'm very happy with it.
Old 06-12-08, 08:30 PM
coke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished setting up my Motobecane 700ht from bikesdirect. Seems like a decent bike for $500. Also came with black wtb rims instead of the rims listed on the site which makes it look a LOT better. Can't really comment on anything yet though, because i haven't had time to ride it, other than in my yard.

I'm 5'11, 200 lbs (not fat, i lift weights), and did a couple jumps today where i was about a foot in the air. the bike is still in one piece, but a 1 foot jump isn't much of a test.

Last edited by coke; 06-12-08 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 10:07 PM
jimd118

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah check out bikesdirect.com I was a huge skeptic because the prices seem to good to be true. Well many people on here said not to worry they are great bikes for the price and extremely underated. Well ive had mine together for about 3 days now and so far LOVE it. I am very impressed. I havnt gotten to take it out on any hard trails yet but next week i will and afterwhich i will post a review up on here. If I am impressed as much as i am right now come next week after some good trail rides I will be a happy camper. Infact for the first time ever i think i may write a thank you letter to the company. I also was so impressed i ordered a new bike for my g/f from them two days ago.
Old 06-12-08, 10:34 PM
Nickolassc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes direct is good. I recently bought a hardtail phantom elite from them and absolutely love it. I believe the phantom trail is around 600 dollars, and is a slighly lower spec version of the same bike. I'm 5 11 and the 18 inch frame fit me perfectly.

I've taken mine out on about 5 trail rides since I bought it in the last 3 weeks and ride it every day, so far its exceeded my expectations. One word of warning though, the stock KMC9000 chain that comes on the bike is worthless, half-way through my first trail ride, 5 of the links froze so stiff I couldn't work them loose after soaking the chain in lube and using plyers. If buying from them be sure to get a nice sram or shimano chain, otherwise I highly recommend them.
Old 06-13-08, 07:19 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of the big name manufacturers will have decent hardtails in the price range you are looking for. If you haven't been on a bike in years, I'd suggest going to your LBS, seeing what they have to offer and trying some out. Fit is very important. If you are uncomfortable, you likely won't ride.
Old 06-13-08, 08:27 AM
nikos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check your local craigslist. good bikes come up for sale all the time. get more bang for your buck, buy used.
Old 06-13-08, 01:11 PM
Fable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by junkyard
All of the big name manufacturers will have decent hardtails in the price range you are looking for. If you haven't been on a bike in years, I'd suggest going to your LBS, seeing what they have to offer and trying some out. Fit is very important. If you are uncomfortable, you likely won't ride.
This is all you need to know.