Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why do senior drivers pass too close?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 02:58 PM
veggie_lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I notice seniors often pass me too closely compared to others. The good side is they rarely speed and often go below speed limit. But why they choose to pass me so close I do not know? My only reasoning is, " Experience makes an intelligent man wiser but a foolish man dumber " .
Old 06-17-08, 04:44 PM
daintonj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably for the same reason that they can only park if they're revving the nads off the engine and are in a cloud of clutch smoke. They probably had no idea they passed you, they just happened to be driving that far away from the kerb. If you'd been in a different position they'd probably be wondering what the crashing sound was.
Old 06-17-08, 04:52 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Could consider myself a senior at age 75 . . .
Hey sonny, show some respect for your elders, you *may* eventualy reach that status!
Old 06-17-08, 04:56 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Could consider myself a senior at age 75 . . .
Hey sonny, show some respect for your elders, you *may* eventualy reach that status!
You didn't answer the question Gramps.
Old 06-17-08, 04:56 PM
Longfemur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Believe it or not, many drivers used to operate under the misapprehension that if you were a good driver, you were able to pass as close as possible to a bicycle without having to give any way. Only nervous drivers had to move to the left.
Old 06-17-08, 04:58 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
might have something to do with not sensing the dimensions of the car accurately. they also might be more concerned about drifting into the far lane and more inclined to stay within the lines.
Old 06-17-08, 05:07 PM
stiggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

Originally Posted by daintonj
Probably for the same reason that they can only park if they're revving the nads off the engine and are in a cloud of clutch smoke. They probably had no idea they passed you, they just happened to be driving that far away from the kerb. If you'd been in a different position they'd probably be wondering what the crashing sound was.
Old 06-17-08, 05:29 PM
dogbreathpnw
1973 Sekine

Bikes: Sekine (commuter), Lemond Victoire, Cannondale T1000, Frankenbike (ask!), Harry Perry (fixie, now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Close Would You Pass a Parked Car?

The Oregon Revised Statutes, like most other states, dictate that one must drive on the right hand side of the road. The BTA actually had to go in during the last legislative session and get an explicit exemption to permit motorists to cross over the left hand side of the road in order to safely pass. Ack!

Seriously, that's how hamstrung the vehicular code is in most places. I suspect that older drivers, more set in their ways, are less likely to consider that their behavior, while strictly legal, is actually less safe. You know the really irony of it? Whenever a motorcyclist passes me, it seems like he almost always completely moves over into the next lane, even though his vehicle is narrower and would effectively give me more clearance if he stayed in my lane. You see, he understands that responsible road behavior involves risk management (a Motorcycle Safety Foundation term), and passing me closely creates more risk.

See also my rant on this and related issues
Old 06-17-08, 05:47 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Treespeed
You didn't answer the question Gramps.
He was too busy passing
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 06-17-08, 07:10 PM
Feathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they are probably nervous and just "hugging the curb" so they're not in danger of crossing the centerline.
Old 06-17-08, 07:34 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veggie_lover
I notice seniors often pass me too closely compared to others. . . . " .
My experience is just the opposite. Older drivers. in general, provide me with extra and even excessive room. Younger female drivers are more apt to cut it close than any other group.
Old 06-17-08, 08:21 PM
st0ut

Bikes: Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My guess is the last time most of them rode a bike speeds in excess of 10 mph where unheard of.

they dont relize how fast we are.
Old 06-17-08, 08:36 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Older driver have more experience; so do older cyclists.
BTW it's not 'gramps', it's 'great-gramps' who has bicycled over a quarter million miles and driven a car for only 58 years.
If they pass you and not hit you, then it is not 'too close.' Been hit a couple times.
Once by a teen who just got his license and once by an oldster in his 70s; both had the same excuse and both were ticketed: "didn't see you" . . .
Inattention/multi-tasking is the major culprit: cell phones, eating/drinking, changing radio station/discs, puttin' on make-up, yakking with passengers; driving requires driver's full attention.
Now, go show some respect for your elders, sonny!
Old 06-18-08, 07:11 AM
OH306

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Older driver have more experience; so do older cyclists.
BTW it's not 'gramps', it's 'great-gramps' who has bicycled over a quarter million miles and driven a car for only 58 years.
If they pass you and not hit you, then it is not 'too close.' Been hit a couple times.
Once by a teen who just got his license and once by an oldster in his 70s; both had the same excuse and both were ticketed: "didn't see you" . . .
Inattention/multi-tasking is the major culprit: cell phones, eating/drinking, changing radio station/discs, puttin' on make-up, yakking with passengers; driving requires driver's full attention.
Now, go show some respect for your elders, sonny!
+10! Don't disrespect the seasoned citizens, learn from them.
Old 06-18-08, 07:15 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dogbreathpnw
Seriously, that's how hamstrung the vehicular code is in most places.

Fortunately, only about 1 out of 100,000 know the vehicular code, so all is not lost.

... Brad
Old 06-18-08, 04:20 PM
daintonj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OH306
An 80 year old idiot is still an idiot, they're just had 80 years experience being an idiot.

Personally I find sweeping generalisations besmirching the good nature of large volumes of people far more entertaining than statements that tediously take into account every possible variance. There are likely to be old drivers who aren't crap, the majority are. I'm sticking with my sweeping generalisation and I'll add the following
White van drivers are agressive sun reading idiots.
BMW X5s are driven by blonde women on their phone.
Rover drivers do not use their rear view mirrors and consider indicators to be something which are best turned on at the start of the journey and left until they reach their destination.
Old 06-18-08, 04:31 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Liked 91 Times in 76 Posts
How about this possibility:

They are more worried about having a head-on collision with another motor vehicle, than colliding with the bicycle.
Old 06-18-08, 08:36 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few years ago, I was 'slow-buzzed' by an old man(yes, I said it like that!) -- who happened to live across the street from me! It was January, a Sunday morning, and he creeped past me (I had nowhere to go due to parked cars) A WHOLE 3 INCHES FROM MY LEFT HAND! He didn't even look over at me; doesn't even drive now, walks with a cane.

I have another alternative thought as to why, in one word: glaucoma.
Old 06-18-08, 09:24 PM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10, Novara Randonee, Raleigh Super Grand Prix, Schwinn Mirada Sport winter beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was buzzed on a Sunday night on my way home from work last fall. Due to the leaves in the gutter, I was a little further out from the curb than I normally would have been. It was a wide residential street with no traffic. When I asked the driver (est. age: in his 70s) at the next stop why so close, he stated he shouldn't be expected to cross into the other lane to pass me. I replied that it wasn't a double yellow line, and he should give my safety a higher value. I don't think he understood, but maybe between he and his wife, who was in the car at the time, were able to get it eventually.
Old 06-18-08, 09:25 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 671 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by dogbreathpnw
The Oregon Revised Statutes, like most other states, dictate that one must drive on the right hand side of the road. The BTA actually had to go in during the last legislative session and get an explicit exemption to permit motorists to cross over the left hand side of the road in order to safely pass. Ack!

Seriously, that's how hamstrung the vehicular code is in most places. I suspect that older drivers, more set in their ways, are less likely to consider that their behavior, while strictly legal, is actually less safe. You know the really irony of it? Whenever a motorcyclist passes me, it seems like he almost always completely moves over into the next lane, even though his vehicle is narrower and would effectively give me more clearance if he stayed in my lane. You see, he understands that responsible road behavior involves risk management (a Motorcycle Safety Foundation term), and passing me closely creates more risk.

See also my rant on this and related issues
Well, I'm a nearly 55 yo cyclist and driver, and I don't understand why drivers think I need an entire fricking lane of clearanceor really any more than a few feet! I appreciate a driver who can see that lanes have adequate space for a bike and a car in most cases, and will simply pass me without any intimidation or fanfare.

How close is too close? How can you tell?

Until we cyclists can provide decent answers to such questions, how can we communicate to drivers (and most of us are drivers as well as cyclists) what a proper clearance from a subjective point of view is?
Old 06-18-08, 10:31 PM
stevo9er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OH306
-10. Screw old drivers and snow birds specifically. I can't wait for their generation to slowly pass away and take their mile long Buick/Cadillacs off the road with them.
Old 06-19-08, 05:52 AM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 ft seems to be the "standard" - we have a 3 ft rule here as do many jurisdictions.
Old 06-19-08, 05:13 PM
OH306

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevo9er
-10. Screw old drivers and snow birds specifically. I can't wait for their generation to slowly pass away and take their mile long Buick/Cadillacs off the road with them.
Screw wet nosed kids with cocky know it all attitudes. Usually they don't pass away slowly, but very suddenly.
Old 06-19-08, 05:41 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with a Take a Look mirror, and (for the most part) don't permit anyone to give me a "close shave".

If I see an overtaking driver is not moving over enough for my liking, I drift the bike to the left...this forces the overtaking driver to respond by moving left also. As they get close, I move back to the right, resulting in maximum separation.

If I'm on a narrow road and there's oncoming traffic, I'll often take it one step further - I'll move to the center of the road, and indicate with my left palm facing down and back that they should not attempt to pass. When the oncoming traffic clears, I move back to the right and wave them around.

I've found that these more assertive techniques work very well...especially with senior citizens who are often unsure as to how to properly pass a bicycle on the road. They often wave back at me as they pass...with all 5 fingers.

With the mirror and assertive lane positioning, I'm hardly ever buzzed, and never surprised by it.

Last edited by SSP; 06-19-08 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 07:00 PM
Tourmalet
Col du

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevo9er
Wait what? I hope that was sarcasm. You DO realize that all of us age continuously and unless you intend to implement mandatory suicides for anyone over X years old there will always be an old generation of frail senile slow folks driving out of date cars. You'll become one of them eventually...

If it wasn't sarcasm... How dumb must you be to make a statement like that??? :confused:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.