Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fixie vs. road bike for commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fixie vs. road bike for commuting

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 05:41 PM
stevo9er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
+1

I would say it is more along the lines of hybrid bikes being the worst of both worlds.
Yup, I am so confused by that post.
Old 07-20-08, 05:50 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 133 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ok_commuter
^^^

I very much appreciate your knowledge and contributions to the forum. However...

You say often that a FG is as practical for everyday riding as any geared bike. And I believe that is true for you. But isn't it true that a FG is only as practical as the rider is fit and strong? And isn't it also true that you are one of the strongest riders on the forum, logging as many or more miles as anyone here, and probably more miles over more years than maybe anyone?

For somebody just getting into cycling, or someone like me with a bum knee, or someone in less than excellent physical condition... for many people, an FG is going to require considerable strength for their chosen/necessary route. It seems to me that for lots of folks, the difference between gears and none is the difference between riding or not.

I hope one day to be repaired and strong enough to ride a fixie. But I still probably won't.
I came into this world nearly 43 years ago with sketchy knees and suffer from some pretty sever sciatica in my left leg and when things were at their worst this winter, a fixed gear was the only bike I could ride (well) as it really compensated for a much weaker left leg that sometimes could not make a full revolution.

During this time I rode my fixed folder as I had issues with not being able to swing a leg over the top tube.

My Kuwahara is geared pretty low with a 58/65 gearing on it's flip flop hub while the folder is geared a little higher with a 61/69 gearing and there are many days when I find myself spinning that lower gear.

My doctor has been amazed at how healthy and strong my knees are and at how riding has really kept both my legs nearly equal in strength.

Riding a fixed gear or singlespeed is not for everyone but for many people it is a practical solution to their riding needs and one does not have to be a monster to ride one.

I'm planning on riding my first century at the end of the month and am actually more confident in taking the fixed gear than I am a geared bike as if I have to finish that ride on one leg I'd rather do it on a fixed gear.

For me it is always about what is more practical and sometimes, having gears is far more practical as I would not think of doing this on a fixed gear... for more than a few minutes anyways.

Old 07-20-08, 06:00 PM
lshobo

Bikes: 1997 Trek Multitrack 730, 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara, 2003 KHS Flite 800, 2005 Santa Cruz Chameleon, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2011 Santa Cruz Butcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute in SF, and I like my knees very much. I would like to try fixed gear someday, but probably not for the purpose of commuting. I think if you would be carrying any load at all, whether on your back or your bike, gears make much more sense. In terms of cleaning and maintenance, the reality is that a geared commuter bike is not much harder to maintain and keep clean than a fixed gear commuter bike. Fenders on during rainy season, fenders off other times.
Old 07-20-08, 06:16 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SqueakyOnion
Fixed gear bicycles: the worst of both worlds. Unicycle + complexity, bicycle + inefficiency.
You ride a hybrid. You don't know anything about anything.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 07-20-08, 06:18 PM
SqueakyOnion

Bikes: Trek 720 Multitrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xiamsammyx
you couldnt be more wrong.
How so? Please explain.

+1

I would say it is more along the lines of hybrid bikes being the worst of both worlds.
How so? Please explain.

I am genuinely interested in both of your responses.

If you feel this may become one of those "fixie debate" threads, please feel free to PM me.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by jyossarian
You ride a hybrid. You don't know anything about anything.
Your username starts with J. You don't know anything about anything.

Your post made about as much sense.

Please leave out the personal insults
, and explain your position. I currently ride a hybrid - it's not the only bike I've ever ridden. It happens to fit my needs better than any other bike I can get (afford).

Last edited by SqueakyOnion; 07-20-08 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-20-08, 06:32 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
there seems to be some real fear or confusion about just how hard it is to ride a fixed gear (or ss, for that matter). gears are relative - if you want the bike for the commute you'll learn what gearing works for you - and you may find a certain sweet spot for momentum as i find most moderate climbing easier on a fixed wheel. when commuting or using the bike about town you'll know the terrain as you'll ride nearly the same routes / stops every day - its not like a mountain will spring up overnight between you and the grocery store. you'll also have a fairly good idea of what you want to carry - there's only so much you can stuff in a backpack or messenger bag before it makes sense to carry it on the bike - and there is only so much you'll decide to carry on the bike before it will be uncomfortable - gears or no.

if you decide to try the fixed gear there are many low cost options - but if you want it for commuting find something that you can put a rack and fenders on - if you live in a climate and carry stuff that requires it.

to get over the fear of not having gears for a windy day, or for hilly terrain, or for when you need to haul 100 lbs of dog food home - get a flip flop hub, or maybe set up a surly dingle cog and 2 rings up front - you'll be able to change things up quite a bit (lower gearing for trails, dirt roads, hilly rides - higher gearing for flat and faster rides).

i'll give most of the posters here the benefit of the doubt and assume that they have ridden a fixed wheel bike for more than a few seconds - but really - the fear of no gears is astonishing.

here's a post about the century i just rode on the my fixed machine.
here's kent peterson's post about how he's faster on his fixed wheel bike.

Last edited by bmike; 07-20-08 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-20-08, 06:37 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fixed gear bicycles: the worst of both worlds. Unicycle + complexity, bicycle + inefficiency.

How so? Please explain.
can you elaborate? perhaps from fixed wheel riding experience?
Old 07-20-08, 06:53 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

How so? Please explain.

I am genuinely interested in both of your responses.

If you feel this may become one of those "fixie debate" threads, please feel free to PM me.
Tis more of a matter of opinion of course.

A hybrid takes a few of the characteristics of a mountain bike and a road bike. Then tries to fulfill as many roles as possible. Consequently, failing at most of them IMHO.

My first decent bike was a hybrid. Subsequently, I have owned a touring bike, road racing bike, mountain bike, a FG\SS, and another FG\SS.

My least favorite was the hybrid.
Old 07-20-08, 06:56 PM
SqueakyOnion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not afraid to admit that I have never ridden a fixed gear bicycle.

I did commute via 29" unicycle for a short while, until I got my current hybrid bike. I realize that unicycles are vastly different than fixies, but there are similarities. For example, both have a lower speed cap. Generally, a cycle with gearing will be able to achieve higher speeds. Also, both require the development of a cadence - no coasting.

If what you want is simplicity, a unicycle is about as simple as it gets. One wheel, no gears, very few moving parts. Adding a fixie bike's wheel, handlebars, chain, and gear all add complexity and more moving parts. Thus, "unicycle + complexity."

The gears on a bicycle allow that bicycle greater efficiency. Imagine driving a car that could only go into 1st or 2nd gear. You'll still get there, but not as fast and with more effort. The same applies to fixie bikes, but to a lesser degree regarding speed. Overall, gearing allows the same amount of muscular force to be applied over varying terrain. Overall, less effort is exerted by the rider to achieve the same route. Thus, "bicycle + inefficiency."

I am by no means trying to say that fixies are bad, or dumb, or people shouldn't ride them. For God's sake I ride a unicycle! I just feel that if ultimate goal is commuting and utility, a fixie is not the best tool for the job. It obviously can be done, but that is not the point in question. Usually, I ride my bicycle to work and on errands because it is more efficient. I ride my unicycle for fun, or when I run errands with little or no baggage.

My opinions come from what I have read over many months about fixie vs geared, as well as hearing the viewpoints from individual fixie and geared riders I've met in person. If you feel strongly otherwise, please explain your position. I am always open to new viewpoints.

I would LOVE to try riding a fixie...just haven't gotten the chance.
Old 07-20-08, 07:03 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They are fun but I think the hype is overblown (to be honest).

I will ride one again once my knee stabilizes (possibly). However, I am increasing my mileage goal for next year to 10,000 so I may just opt for gears.
Fixed and SS is just another option. Not the be all to end all of bikes.
Old 07-20-08, 07:03 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I commute about half the time on a fixed-gear bike.

If I could only have one bike, it wouldn't be fixed. At the same time, I've never had any inclination to ride singlespeed.

Riding singlespeed would solve most of the issued I have with fixed, but it would also remove the things I enjoy about it. I like the feeling, I like that I climb the hills of my commute faster. I don't like that I tend to spin out of my comfort zone if the road angles down at all. I used to hate all downhills, but between switching to larger gears (in the 78 gear inch range) and faster spin I can ride anything I encounter without the brake (I max out about 38mph).

I rarely ride fixed for more than 3 days in a row though. My legs tend to get a little sore from the stoplight starts after a couple of days. I did try setting up my bike with a much lower gear ratio and trying to take it easy. I absolutely hated it, mostly because of my bike positioning though.

I have considered ditching the trackish frames though and building up something like a Casseroll to add a little practicality.

-----------

BTW, the hybrid insults are childish and uncalled for guys.
Old 07-20-08, 07:05 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS

I'm not a role model.
Old 07-20-08, 07:08 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not a role model.
Touche, although yours wasn't the comment I was referring to.
Old 07-20-08, 07:10 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know. Just thought that would be an amusing reply.
Old 07-20-08, 07:16 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the process of converting my beater MTB into a singlespeed for heavy commuting... the gearing on it isn't high enough to warrant shifting anyway, so I might as well disable the gears and make it extra durable. The only problem is that I have to rely on a tensioner.
Old 07-20-08, 07:21 PM
Jenkinsal2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did commute via 29" unicycle for a short while, until I got my current hybrid bike. I realize that unicycles are vastly different than fixies, but there are similarities. For example, both have a lower speed cap. Generally, a cycle with gearing will be able to achieve higher speeds. Also, both require the development of a cadence - no coasting.

If what you want is simplicity, a unicycle is about as simple as it gets. One wheel, no gears, very few moving parts. Adding a fixie bike's wheel, handlebars, chain, and gear all add complexity and more moving parts. Thus, "unicycle + complexity."

The gears on a bicycle allow that bicycle greater efficiency. Imagine driving a car that could only go into 1st or 2nd gear. You'll still get there, but not as fast and with more effort. The same applies to fixie bikes, but to a lesser degree regarding speed. Overall, gearing allows the same amount of muscular force to be applied over varying terrain. Overall, less effort is exerted by the rider to achieve the same route. Thus, "bicycle + inefficiency."

I am by no means trying to say that fixies are bad, or dumb, or people shouldn't ride them. For God's sake I ride a unicycle! I just feel that if ultimate goal is commuting and utility, a fixie is not the best tool for the job. It obviously can be done, but that is not the point in question. Usually, I ride my bicycle to work and on errands because it is more efficient. I ride my unicycle for fun, or when I run errands with little or no baggage.

My opinions come from what I have read over many months about fixie vs geared, as well as hearing the viewpoints from individual fixie and geared riders I've met in person. If you feel strongly otherwise, please explain your position. I am always open to new viewpoints.

I would LOVE to try riding a fixie...just haven't gotten the chance.
If you have not ridden a fixed wheel before I dont see how you thing you can pull these "facts" from nowhere. First off a fixed wheel with a higher gearing and two brakes can easily keep up with a road bike in a commuting situation given the rider has been on a bicycle for a few months and has a little stamina. Second, A fixed gear bicycle is far more efficient then a geared bicycle. You lose no momentum due to cross chaining, or anything else. Some conditions actually add a flywheel effect and help you to contain momentum. It is just another way you can ride a bike. I commute 6 miles to class and I ride around 30 miles a day depending on whats going on in the city. When I get on other bikes it feels wierd not being able to control speed with my legs. I vote everybody at least try it. Its fun.
Old 07-20-08, 08:25 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeffS
You're not the boss of me!

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 07-20-08, 08:36 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
i'll give most of the posters here the benefit of the doubt and assume that they have ridden a fixed wheel bike for more than a few seconds - but really - the fear of no gears is astonishing.

here's a post about the century i just rode on the my fixed machine.
here's kent peterson's post about how he's faster on his fixed wheel bike.
I'm sure I rode a fixie for years as a kid and didn't know to give it such a cool name.

But you're right, it's been years and I fear something I haven't tried. (I do know how important it is for me to keep the pressure off my knee.) I'll check out those links.
Old 07-20-08, 08:37 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

'nuff said.

I think that there should be a rule that, if you want to criticize any type of bike you should first go and ride that bike 1000 miles.

With a more educated opinion on what one can and cannot do when their bike only has one or two available gearings your views ansd opinions may just change and be warned...riding fixed can be habit forming and at the very least it should break the terrible coasting habit so many people suffer from.

When I tell people that I rode 16000 km last year I should also point out that no matter what I ride, I rarely ever coast... I had broken that bad habit long before I ever saddled up a fixed gear.

In other news... I also love my hybrid as it does everything it needs to do very well.
Old 07-20-08, 09:25 PM
cradduck
This town needs an enema.

Bikes: Bridgestone 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both have their place and everyone will have different qualifiers for each. For me:

Geared bike- long haul commute to work, riding the trails behind my house, and going anywhere I don't have the leave my bike outside. I generally get where I am going slower than I do on my fixed gear bike, but I am a lot more comfortable and can achieve higher mileage in greater comfort on my cyclocross bike.

Fixed gear bike- riding to school, short trips around town, locking up outside (it's quite ugly and dull), and *occasional* commutes to work. I generally get where I am going faster on my fixed gear bike than on my cyclocross bike.
Old 07-20-08, 09:29 PM
SqueakyOnion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
'nuff said.

I think that there should be a rule that, if you want to criticize any type of bike you should first go and ride that bike 1000 miles.
I wish I could afford a bike of every type in order to do this.

With a more educated opinion on what one can and cannot do when their bike only has one or two available gearings your views ansd opinions may just change and be warned...riding fixed can be habit forming and at the very least it should break the terrible coasting habit so many people suffer from.
Unicycling is what got me interested in bicycling. I never had a coasting habit from the start. I have no doubt that riding fixies can be fun and rewarding, or "habit forming." I was merely trying to say that given the conditions of the OP, commuting, a fixie is, from what I can tell, not the best choice if keeping strictly utilitarian.

Originally Posted by jenkinsal2
If you have not ridden a fixed wheel before I dont see how you thing you can pull these "facts" from nowhere.
Specifically, what "facts?" As I already stated, the information I presented I gathered from reading and hearing others' viewpoints.

First off a fixed wheel with a higher gearing and two brakes can easily keep up with a road bike in a commuting situation given the rider has been on a bicycle for a few months and has a little stamina.
You've just made my point for me, thanks.

The fixie rider needs more experience and more stamina in order to keep up. All other things being equal, the fixie bike won't keep up with the geared commuter.

Second, A fixed gear bicycle is far more efficient then a geared bicycle. You lose no momentum due to cross chaining, or anything else. Some conditions actually add a flywheel effect and help you to contain momentum.
"Far more efficient?" Hardly. The gains in mechanical advantage over a geared bicycle are less than the gains of the gearing. You've already admitted yourself that with two equal riders, a fixie cannot keep up with a geared bicycle.

I am very familiar with the flywheel effect. I experience this a lot on my 29" unicycle, especially when I have the heavy Big Apple 2.35" tire on. This effect is GREAT on flats and gentle uphills, but actually becomes a problem on downhills...backpedaling must be used to slow the cadence down. I've UPD'd a few times because I couldn't backpedal with enough power - though that's likely because I just switched over to 100mm cranks. I imagine that wouldn't be as much of an issue on a fixie with much longer cranks.

When I get on other bikes it feels wierd not being able to control speed with my legs.
I feel the same way after I've done a lot of unicycling...I find myself trying to backpedal on my hybrid bike.
Old 07-20-08, 11:05 PM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'nuff said.

When I tell people that I rode 16000 km last year I should also point out that no matter what I ride, I rarely ever coast... I had broken that bad habit long before I ever saddled up a fixed gear.

In other news... I also love my hybrid as it does everything it needs to do very well.
Whats wrong with coasting? There is probably a good reason that freewheeling bicycle drive trains were invented. I understand the flywheel effect and the ability to control deceleration speed with the pedals but getting pitched over the handlebars or having your knee jacked up in a moment of inattention might not be desirable. I might try it anyway on my new set of wheels for my SS (two speed) but I can't imagine the benefit on my commute. There are times when coasting has been welcomed not to mention I don't enjoy riding attached.
Old 07-20-08, 11:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The thing that is wrong with coasting is that many folks do it too much...
Old 07-21-08, 12:11 AM
Hachi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fairly sure I could find several hills here in SF that you couldn't ride up on a single speed, but I guess that depends on how much you weight partly.
Old 07-21-08, 04:51 AM
iflyskyhawks

Bikes: 2006 Felt F75, 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm following the path of using the bicycles you already own. For the past several weeks I've been using my Felt road bike for commuting and cringing at the abuse its been taking -> slamming into railroad tracks, picking up grit & mud from over zealous sprinkler use (with water covering the entire road I bike in on), etc. etc.

So, this weekend I dusted off my Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike and am in the process of converting it as a commuter. Considering the rolling terrain I have both to and from work, I will be happy to have access to 27 different speeds. The mountain bike will also be happier getting dirty, gritty, etc.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.