Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any teen bikers out there?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any teen bikers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 05:10 PM
BackRoadsBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 16 and have been riding since I was about 5. Road since ~12, racing since 14. Love every minute of it. Working at a bike shop is the coolest thing I could immagine doing. I like to go the indentured servant route with my bike stuff. Buy tons of cool stuff then work to pay it off

As for spandex- hells yeah! When asked if I wear that "really tight biker stuff" I reply "Yes, when I wear anything at all!" Great conversation starter LOL
Old 07-22-08, 05:21 PM
Youngin
ub3r n00b

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by otakux
biking is more fun than crew. both have spandex
Crew is fun too. Except for the hand blisters. 15 here, road since 12-3?, racing started this year, doing alright! I really like it, road races and TT's especially. Cat 4, and staying that way until next year and hopefully entering in junior nationals!
Old 07-22-08, 06:08 PM
Hickeydog
Crushing souls

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 18 and I ride. I started when I was 17 and i have loved every minute of it. I rode to school quite a bit and only an immature freshmen gave me any grief about the lycra/spandex/"tight cycling wear". Of course, once I put his head through a locker, nobody said anything about it anymore.

Now go out and ride your bike.

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Old 07-22-08, 06:17 PM
Cdy291

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 19 and have been racing since I was 17. All I got time to say for now.
Old 07-22-08, 06:30 PM
LorenzoNF
zone 2

Bikes: BMC Teammachine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18, near as makes no difference. Been riding bikes since I was 4 or 5, but road only in the past 6 months. Love it. I want to start racing next year after finding a club in San Francisco, where I'm going for college.
Old 07-22-08, 06:50 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 16, and have always dipped into road cycling a little as some cross training for motocross racing, but have recently got way more into road cycling (moved from a giant hybrid to an older raleigh 555sl). I have yet to shave my legs or start wearing spandex, and idk if wearing spandex would de good for my "reputation," but I am considering doing it anyway because cargo shorts are not prime cycling wear even with compression shorts underneath.
Old 07-22-08, 07:02 PM
TehK

Bikes: 2003 Novara Randonnee, Miyata 512, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-22-08, 07:12 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 18 and this is my second racing season. I'm a sprinter/time trialist.
Old 07-22-08, 07:17 PM
george123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hxzero
Haha, golden.
Old 07-22-08, 07:19 PM
bubbaeck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 15, had a road bike for a few years but only really started riding this year. I've been going to local(ish) training crits, and did a stage race last week. So far its been a pretty good time... my friend also does it, so I have a riding buddy. As for the spandex, whatever. There goes the caring train...guess i'm not on it. Also, i don't really know why people shave their legs. The aerodynamic savings must be minimal to nonexistent. Besides, why not just shave your head? I've seen plenty of moptops with shaved legs.
Old 07-22-08, 07:20 PM
JBS103
James

Bikes: 2005 S-Works Roubaix Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 17. I've been on a road bike for a few years now and have worked at the LBS during that time. Most of my friends know I ride my bike but I don't think many of them understand to what extent.

I suppose it's that way because I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to looking the part. I'm only kitted up when my butt is on the saddle, I don't shave my legs because I feel no need to, and I burn more than I tan.
Old 07-22-08, 07:22 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MiqueMaus
I'd agree that road cycling isn't the greatest sport for high school kids because of the whole "I wish I had a better... [bike part]" syndrome where you feel inept riding on the same roads as 40 year olds with Zipp'd Cervelo SLC-SL's and such. Always fun to pass them though. Money can't buy youth.
Cycling's fun no matter what age you are.

When you're young, you feel good passing the older guys on fancy equipment. When you get older, you still enjoy riding and can appreciate the nice stuff even if you know you're not quite as strong as you once were.

Plus, it's not exactly humiliating getting passed by someone who's more than 20 years younger than you -- especially when few who try actually succeed
Old 07-22-08, 07:45 PM
dmb2786

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im nineTEEN. i dont know if that counts. its a great sport. spandex is good. fat chicks laugh cause they're jealous. good lookin girls know whats up.
Old 07-22-08, 07:51 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
Cycling's fun no matter what age you are.

When you're young, you feel good passing the older guys on fancy equipment. When you get older, you still enjoy riding and can appreciate the nice stuff even if you know you're not quite as strong as you once were.

Plus, it's not exactly humiliating getting passed by someone who's more than 20 years younger than you -- especially when few who try actually succeed
So your saying the kid,s right about not being able to buy youth?........
..............this crap is all going back WallPhart sporting goods.
Old 07-22-08, 07:53 PM
Anti404

Bikes: 2015 Scott Solace 30, 2007 CAAD9 Optimo 1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm eighteen and just started. As I ran out of water, I pulled into a gas station today and saw some assclowns who graduated with me. I more or less didn't acknowledge them. Normally I stick to staying far away from everyone, so this event is a rarity.
Old 07-22-08, 08:26 PM
emj2390
sensei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 18 road riding since January fixed since march and mtn biking in may. i am a runner and the spandex is not as revealing as the shorts I run in so it makes it all better. I want to get into racing but i dont know how fast i need to be or where to start.
Old 07-22-08, 08:31 PM
Iwannagofast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike forums server is weird right now >

Oh well hm...a few responses:

Backroadsbiker- I envy you working at a bike shop! That is like the coolest thing ever!

spry- That was

hm..I wish I had a buddy to get into biking with, I do not know anyone who does it seriously like everyone here on the forums...
Old 07-22-08, 08:32 PM
chouettey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiqueMaus
I'd agree that road cycling isn't the greatest sport for high school kids because of the whole "I wish I had a better... [bike part]" syndrome where you feel inept riding on the same roads as 40 year olds with Zipp'd Cervelo SLC-SL's and such. Always fun to pass them though. Money can't buy youth.
The guy I passed was on a Pinarello Prince.

I am 16 and got my bike a few weeks ago. I am really loving it. I have been doing 20+ mile rides my with 17 year old friend. I am even thinking of starting a cycling club at my high school next year. I hope that I can find other students that are interested in cycling to come and do rides with us after school.
Old 07-22-08, 08:36 PM
Iwannagofast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish my school had that, all our clubs are suckish, and if you started a cycling club everyone would think you are lame
Old 07-22-08, 08:42 PM
chouettey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really want to try and find some local businesses around my city to donate some money to our club so that we could buy some semi-custom jerseys. They would of course have their business advertised on the back.
Old 07-22-08, 08:48 PM
startedspyder05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 19 but have only been riding for a little over a year, so I was already out of high school when I started. I don't think I could have done it back then or even enjoyed it. Wouldn't ever pick another form of exercise to do as much as I ride my bike. I would love to race I think, but I need some more practice riding in groups(not gonna be the cause of an accident if I can help it).
Old 07-22-08, 08:50 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikelyst
16. Ironically...my school loves that I'm a cyclist. Our enrollment is hovering around 200...so everyone knows about me. At least once a day someone asks me something related to cycling..."You bike here?!", "When's your next race?!" etc. I don't mind the attention.

If I've figured out one thing in my short life so far...it's enjoy high school for what it's worth. Love cycling to death...but keep things in perspective, stay active in school sports and activities. I am a three sport athlete and still race in the summer...but I am still playing vids with friends...eating like crap occasionally...and doing random stuff. Enjoy your youthful years for what they are worth...and use cycling as a way to enjoy it more...not deplete it so that your life revolves around it.

I'm done...later.
You have a clue about life. You're years ahead of many people you're age.

Keep ridin' and being cool!

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 07-22-08, 08:53 PM
Iwannagofast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chouettey
I really want to try and find some local businesses around my city to donate some money to our club so that we could buy some semi-custom jerseys. They would of course have their business advertised on the back.
That is even better an idea Now I really wish I went to your school to be in the club!
Old 07-22-08, 09:02 PM
chouettey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iwannagofast
That is even better an idea Now I really wish I went to your school to be in the club!
With 4000 students, a few have to be interested in cycling.

The owner of a LBS around here's son is going to go to high school next year. His dad said that he would probably go to a private high school. Would be cool if he went to mine though.
Old 07-22-08, 09:06 PM
Iwannagofast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, that'd be cool, at least one other for sure person.

This isn't related to what you were saying but I guess my mom's cousin and his son are road cyclists, I am tempted to get in touch with him through email to chat about it but I dunno if it would be weird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.