Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any teen bikers out there?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any teen bikers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 09:09 PM
otismedina

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 17.
Been riding since I was about 3.
Been riding road since I was about 15.
Old 07-22-08, 09:10 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 18, my entire lab at school bikes, so I bike. Not really caring for spandex or competitive racing, I just bike because it feels good and I'm too lazy to walk or run.

Not to mention I can't run for any longer than 10 minutes, but I can bike for hours.
Old 07-22-08, 09:12 PM
Iwannagofast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shadowgray: I hate running haha

otismedina: very cool. The more I go on the forums the more anxious I am to start riding but I can't till September. *sigh*
Old 07-22-08, 09:17 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 54 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by spry
So your saying the kid,s right about not being able to buy youth?....
It is true, but I would rather buy bike schwag than youth. Who the heck wants to deal with all the crap that goes along with being young again?
Old 07-22-08, 09:21 PM
kawana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roy5000x2
47 kids in my graduating class.
Beat that
Got you beat there, school of 200, graduating class of 8. After grade 8 the classes got smaller and smaller. 15 in grade 11. 8 people in grade 12 being the smallest the school has ever seen. After that year they've only been teaching up to grade 7 or something.

edit: and to make my post relevant, im 20 (21 next month), and im just getting into cycling.
Old 07-22-08, 09:25 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone noticed how bad the punctuation is on this thread?
Old 07-22-08, 09:27 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kawana
Got you beat there, school of 200, graduating class of 8. After grade 8 the classes got smaller and smaller. 15 in grade 11. 8 people in grade 12 being the smallest the school has ever seen. After that year they've only been teaching up to grade 7 or something.

edit: and to make my post relevant, im 20 (21 next month), and im just getting into cycling.
Wow, you'd have more teachers than students in the upper grades. :
Old 07-22-08, 10:20 PM
yellowjeep

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
Lulz,

Anyway.

I am turning 20 in less than a month now. I was the only person at my highschool of about 500 people that road seriously. Same at the small college I went to. So I stopped riding as much and now I am fat. I am going to KU next year where I know for a fact there are serious cyclists, I plan on being one again.

Last edited by yellowjeep; 07-22-08 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 10:30 PM
Szczuldo
What is this demonry?!

Bikes: KHS Aero Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iwannagofast
what do you mean by crew?

Also I can understand the whole quest for the best bike thing, I mean personally I feel like I always need to upgrade everything, it is only natural =P
crew = rowing, looks very fun. I have a couple of friends who do it.

On topic, I've been riding bikes since I was probably 8, and had my first road bike at 10, a Schwinn Le Tour which was too big for me. Road the crap out of it, 8 years ago I snapped off the non drive crank arm while riding, and then got my current bike as a birthday present. Still ride it and I'm now looking for a new bike and turn this one into a commuter. I've been made fun of plenty of times and I had friends older then me who said, oh man once you get your license you'll want to drive everywhere and not ride. Oh they cannot have been more wrong, I hardly drove and still hardly drive now. I do not find it a fun activity, or a fun mode of transportation. If I drive I feel like crap the rest of the day, and therefore must go out for a ride longer than what I would normally take to feel better. My legs are so used to spinning everyday that they start to ache when I'm off the bike for too long.

I am now 20, and still ride with pride and will ride for many more decades. Cycling is the one activity I will not give up for anything, I will not be married to a woman who doesn't appreciate that I like the activity, one that won't mind money spent on it would be nice too but isn't a must.
Old 07-22-08, 10:33 PM
OPTheory

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
As a lapsed Internet Child who is now 20 years of age I can say that back in the day I just didn't care. Don't get me wrong, I had the ability to formulate and express ideas in coherent, flowing sentences. But, like I said - I simply didn't care.

Good times.

Oh, and I'm 20 and I've only recently started cycling. Love it. Should have picked up on it sooner like you guys.
Old 07-22-08, 10:48 PM
zach7732

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 16 and I have been cycling since January. I haven't seen any other cyclists my age in my area.
Old 07-22-08, 10:50 PM
brett_beddow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
16. Been racing for about 3 months and riding for around a year.
Anybody on here racing at crit nationals in Chicago in the junior race?
Old 07-22-08, 11:41 PM
HolyInstantRice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought Nationals was in LA this year?

Been riding for three, racing for two. 16, racing age 17.
Old 07-23-08, 01:08 AM
SgtPepper64
Specialized

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 19, so I'm not going to be a teen cyclist for much longer. *sigh*

I haven't raced yet. I'll try that next summer.

Too bad my university doesn't have a team. Grrr. (And there's only me and one other student there who are cyclists.)
Old 07-23-08, 01:36 AM
The_Spaniard

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
19. I road bike and mtb also. Love both.
Old 07-23-08, 06:36 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SgtPepper64
I'm 19, so I'm not going to be a teen cyclist for much longer. *sigh*

I haven't raced yet. I'll try that next summer.

Too bad my university doesn't have a team. Grrr. (And there's only me and one other student there who are cyclists.)
Then be like me and a few other guys and start one!

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 07-23-08, 08:23 AM
Pablo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fifteen. Cat 5. I work at a bike shop.
Old 07-23-08, 08:25 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pablo.
Fifteen. Cat 5. I work at a bike shop.
Argh.

I want to work at a bike shop.
Old 07-23-08, 08:34 AM
cmsuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have already posted, but everybody started adding more detail so here we go. I have been riding since I was 2. I have been riding road since I was 11. Started seriously training for racing last fall. I am planning on doing my first two races at the end of August. Oh, and I am currently 15. I have been talking to my small lbs and might be getting an internship type deal there. I am also delaying taking drivers ed because it will cut into my riding time.
Old 07-23-08, 10:53 AM
Iwannagofast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmsuter
I have already posted, but everybody started adding more detail so here we go. I have been riding since I was 2. I have been riding road since I was 11. Started seriously training for racing last fall. I am planning on doing my first two races at the end of August. Oh, and I am currently 15. I have been talking to my small lbs and might be getting an internship type deal there. I am also delaying taking drivers ed because it will cut into my riding time.
The jealousy iskicking in..
Old 07-23-08, 10:54 AM
Iwannagofast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Szczuldo
crew = rowing, looks very fun. I have a couple of friends who do it.

On topic, I've been riding bikes since I was probably 8, and had my first road bike at 10, a Schwinn Le Tour which was too big for me. Road the crap out of it, 8 years ago I snapped off the non drive crank arm while riding, and then got my current bike as a birthday present. Still ride it and I'm now looking for a new bike and turn this one into a commuter. I've been made fun of plenty of times and I had friends older then me who said, oh man once you get your license you'll want to drive everywhere and not ride. Oh they cannot have been more wrong, I hardly drove and still hardly drive now. I do not find it a fun activity, or a fun mode of transportation. If I drive I feel like crap the rest of the day, and therefore must go out for a ride longer than what I would normally take to feel better. My legs are so used to spinning everyday that they start to ache when I'm off the bike for too long.

I am now 20, and still ride with pride and will ride for many more decades. Cycling is the one activity I will not give up for anything, I will not be married to a woman who doesn't appreciate that I like the activity, one that won't mind money spent on it would be nice too but isn't a must.
I agree with your point of view in marriage
Old 07-23-08, 10:55 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driving? Pshhh... please...

I don't even have a learner's permit, and I probably won't be getting one anytime soon.
Old 07-23-08, 11:06 AM
Floob
Cheese, anyone?

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR A1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 18. I've had a bike since... I honestly have no idea. I got into road cycling early this year, and I'm loving it. No races yet, but perhaps college?

I also don't have my driver's permit. I've had the pink slip that certifies I've completed Driver's Education for a stupidly long time. Eh, I'll get my license when I really need it, but I'm happy with my bike for now.
Old 07-23-08, 11:38 AM
Iwannagofast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is how I feel about driving, I have done online test for my permit and I need to do behind the wheel so I am just like whatever about finishing right now because it is so hard to schedule, just let me become a road cyclist and I will be happier
Old 07-23-08, 12:51 PM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been road cycling for over a year now, I cycle where I can, and I find it a good way to keep fit.

PS- I also maintain all my bikes myself
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.