Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A HUGE Thank You To Everyone !

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 11:06 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

For cadence, clipless, bike shorts, and evrything else ! I now have a lot of new favorite things.

That's right! For all of your advice on the above, I offer you my sincere thanks.

You taught me that pedalling faster will make me go faster, easier. That clipless can be a very good thing, making for easier, more efficient, pedalling, even for us older guys. That bike shorts aren't just for looks, or embarrassing, and, are really a big help for the discomfort caused by more miles. And for all of the advice, suggestion, and sharing of thoughts and information, you will never know how much you guys and gals help......

I just hope I can pass it on, and help someone else.

I'm 62 years old, and finally decided to get serious about bicycling. Sooooo, I recently bumped my daily loop to 40 miles (worked out to 41, but who's counting), and it would not have been possible without your direction and support.

My legs work better and feel better, because of the "spinning (currently 75-80 and improving), my feet stay where they are supposed to (and I don't fall anymore,) and my butt goes past 20 miles without complaining (who says padding doesn't help? and, who'd a thunk commando is the way to go?)

And, I do it in less than 3 hours (striving for 2 1/2.)

Thanks to all the tidbits you are spreading around, I can now say I bike 250+ miles a week. Which just happens to work out to 1,000+ miles a month, and 12,000+ miles a year. I currently take one day off a week, or make one day an easy 20 miles.

My bicycle runs way more errands than my truck or motorcycle!

I'm finally drinking more water than beer !

I can eat anything I want, and continue to lose more fat (185# and a lot more svelt!)

I'm getting really good at fixing flat tires (thanks for the advice on the Topeak Morphs!)

And, not many people pass me on the bike trails anymore (Hybrids can too go fast, and my current top speed is 33 MPH - a big improvement from the old 25)

I'm really liking this bike stuff!
Old 08-08-08, 11:11 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your transformation is not complete until your riding a road bike. keep up the good work.
Old 08-08-08, 11:12 AM
LynnH

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go, that is so fun to hear!
Old 08-08-08, 11:19 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I suppose it's too late to tell you that we really didn't mean it..............
Old 08-08-08, 11:22 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go!!! These stories are an inspiration to all of us. There's always something new to learn or improve upon.
Old 08-08-08, 11:35 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Jusr don't tell any one about this cycling lark- or all the neighbours will be on it and you will be passed by the 6 year olds on their trikes. And back to where you started- Except for the weight loss- the svelt figure- The admiring glances from the opposite sex and that big high you have from being fitter than you have been in years.

Keep it up.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-08-08, 12:13 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 671 Times in 512 Posts
Great news, Wanderer, and thanks for the appreciation. The best way to show it, however, is to stick around and teach what you have learned (and will continue to learn) to yung'uns and other effective newbies.

Road Fan
Old 08-08-08, 12:26 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I love to hear stories like this. All the little tips really help. I, too, have learned much from this group.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-08-08, 12:33 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I read this as a complete failure by the regular denizens of this board to properly instruct newcomers....

Nowhere in your reputed "success story" above do you say anything about shopping for a new bike!

(Seriously, congrats! I've learned a lot here, too...)
Old 08-08-08, 12:40 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I sold the road bike (heresy), and really, really, like this new Specialized Crosstrail. It does almost everything I want it (a bicycle) to do. The only exception, is not having drops to get down on. Maybe when I hit the lottery, I'll pop for one of them carbon thingys for fast rides.... LOL

The Ergon grips give me a good place to put my elbows, arms, and I think Profile Design Carbon Stryke Aero Bars, just may give me a place to put my hands. Then it will be complete - almost.

It sure would be nice to have fenders to keep all the gunk off me when it rains, and flat resistant HP (85#+) tires in 700X40-45 sizes..... I'll have to save my sheckels.
Old 08-08-08, 04:24 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
+1 Wanderer. I owe the same thanks on all of those items. But I'm not shaving my legs yet.
Old 08-08-08, 04:47 PM
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...Maybe when I hit the lottery, I'll pop for one of them carbon thingys for fast rides....
you sound like someone who likes comfort...let me suggest when (not if, but when) you go shopping for an upgrade or second bike that you consider Titanium as a frame of choice. I have a CF and a Ti bike and the Ti bike does indeed offer more cush than the carbon.
congratulations on the miles. 250 a week is......wow! I wish I was able to get that much in. If I manage 2000 between middle of May and the end of Septmeber I'll be happy.
Old 08-08-08, 04:55 PM
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a little sad. I can't realistically comment on the situation because I haven't experienced the ins and outs first hand. I will say however that your first responsibility is always to yourself. If you're not healthy and happy, then those you love - those around you - will suffer as a result. One way or the other. Take care of yourself and your own heart and you will have more to give to others.
Old 08-08-08, 04:56 PM
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ignore this last post.....cripes, the ghost in the machine got to me......meant for a different thread...
Old 08-08-08, 05:05 PM
bobbycorno

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SKYLAB
...Maybe when I hit the lottery, I'll pop for one of them carbon thingys for fast rides....
you sound like someone who likes comfort...let me suggest when (not if, but when) you go shopping for an upgrade or second bike that you consider Titanium as a frame of choice. I have a CF and a Ti bike and the Ti bike does indeed offer more cush than the carbon.
congratulations on the miles. 250 a week is......wow! I wish I was able to get that much in. If I manage 2000 between middle of May and the end of Septmeber I'll be happy.
Pfft! If you're SERIOUS about both comfort and speed, none of these "halfway" measures. Next time around try out a high performance recumbent. Since I went over to the "dark side", I can ride as long (up to 1200k at a shot so far) and hard as I want, and the only thing that gets sore is my legs. And I'm at least as fast as I was on my DF.

SP