Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Olympic Road Race

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Olympic Road Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 06:42 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Olympic Road Race

The road race is going to start Saturday morning in Beijing, which is Friday evening in North America. CBC will be covering it live in Canada, though I am sure with frequent cutaways. I don't think NBC will be covering it live because they are tape-delaying the opening ceremonies, but perhaps they will have it on one of their sister channels. Will it be carried in Britain or Australia?

For those of you who follow the Tour de France, I think many of the competitors will be familiar. I am looking forward to it.
Old 08-07-08, 06:56 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Looking forward to watching the road races, TTs, MTB races and the many track events.
Old 08-07-08, 07:03 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I'm looking forward to watching Dara Torres....
Old 08-07-08, 07:17 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I'm looking forward to watching Dara Torres....
Even at 41 she is too young for anyone on 50+
Old 08-07-08, 07:30 AM
leob1

Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
Speak for yourself.
Old 08-07-08, 07:35 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,549 Times in 1,501 Posts
Watched women's soccer yesterday - Norway v USA. Soccer starts before the opening ceremony. It was on UHD.
Old 08-07-08, 09:58 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by Ken Brown
Don't tell my 38 y/o wife that.
Old 08-07-08, 10:13 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm looking forward to watching the road race. I skipped this year's TdF, watching maybe 10 minutes total of it. But I like the Olympics race format of having a long flat section, followed by 7 climbs & descents. And that there is no chance that the "winner" of it will be 28 people with the same time.

Too bad they will have to contend with the air pollution.

I expect much of it will be shown live on the alternate NBC channels. After all, it doesn't begin until 11PM EDT, and will be ending at around 5:30AM EDT.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-07-08, 11:07 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
After all, it doesn't begin until 11PM EDT, and will be ending at around 5:30AM EDT.
Didn't realize it would be that late. Will have to set my DVR.
Old 08-07-08, 11:18 AM
leob1

Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Have a look at https://www.nbcolympics.com/ you can see all the events that are not televised, like most of the cycling events, online. You can also set email alerts for when an event will be on. And it has a full schedule for the televised events.
Old 08-07-08, 02:18 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NBC has scheduled live coverage of the men's road race from 2:30-5:30AM EDT (11:30PM-2:30AM PDT) on their on-line video streaming. I do not believe it is going to carried live on any of their TV channels.

They will be showing delayed coverage from 10-10:30AM, 12:30-1:00PM, and 2:30-3:30PM EDT on their primary NBC channel.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-07-08, 02:23 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is the race profile for the road race.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
raceprof1.jpg (42.4 KB, 15 views)

Old 08-07-08, 02:30 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My favorite event - Womens beach volleyball - call me a pig
Old 08-07-08, 02:50 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,065 Times in 1,657 Posts
NBC shows Olympic cycling from 10 - 10:30 PDT Saturday morning. Nothing else listed for that time slot so maybe a good 30 minutes of highlights.
Old 08-07-08, 03:13 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
NBC shows Olympic cycling from 10 - 10:30 PDT Saturday morning. Nothing else listed for that time slot so maybe a good 30 minutes of highlights.
Check my post above (#11) ... there are three time slots covering the road race, with a total of 2 hours of coverage, on Saturday late morning/early afternoon.

Old 08-07-08, 03:23 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,065 Times in 1,657 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Check my post above (#11) ... there are three time slots covering the road race, with a total of 2 hours of coverage, on Saturday late morning/early afternoon.
Doh! Sorry, I got hung up on the part about on-line video streaming you mentioned in part 1 and glossed over part 2 about regular TV. I probably need new glasses.

Old 08-07-08, 03:41 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Will be attempting to watch as much of the Olympic cycling as possible but I have Satellite and should be able to record a lot of it. As for the rest of the Olympics- for the last few events I have not been enamoured. Too many of the top athletes have in later years been proven to have taken drugs. At least in cycling- it is visibly seen that testing takes place and bans are the consequence.

A lot of the sports do not interest me either so hopefully I can look forward to a peacefull fortnight in the garden with all the neighbours watching everything.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-08-08, 10:32 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The opening ceremonies were magnificent. Watch the repeats if you missed it, in HD if you can. The first hour+ is the best. While it is fun to watch the athletes parade in, it took 2 hours and gets a little tedious.

Here in Canada the CBC will be broadcasting all night tonight, so I plan to record it and watch the men's road race in the morning.
Old 08-08-08, 11:44 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the Olympics and it's my tradition to watch the opening ceremony in its entirety and catch as much of the games as I can. I wish NBC would air it earlier so it doesn't end after my bedtime, but ah, prime time $$$s rule! I expect the opening ceremony to be spectacular, being that it's in China. I also love the parade of nations, long as it is....... seeing the smiling faces of young athletes from around the world including countries we don't usually see mentioned anywhere (Mongolia comes to mind) just makes me smile the whole way through.

Oh! And the lighting of the torch! No spoilers please...
Old 08-08-08, 11:47 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
My favorite event - Womens beach volleyball - call me a pig
Don't get me started. Not that any of them have anything to hide....
Old 08-08-08, 12:28 PM
LynnH

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like all the above mentioned and the triathlon is another of my favorites. I will watch as much as I get a chance, but I don't stay up late very well.
Old 08-08-08, 01:03 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

And don't forget the new one added this time, BMX.
Old 08-08-08, 03:51 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by leob1
Speak for yourself.
+1 Lp
Old 08-08-08, 04:05 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Fox Sports:

OFFICIAL Olympic broadcasters around the world have been sent into panic as Games organisers warned them there was a chance the men's cycling road race may be postponed because of smog.

Beijing Now has learned broadcasters have been put on notice that they may need to find alternative programming if the air quality was not considered safe. The road race is the blue riband event of day one of competition and is scheduled to last from 11am until about 5pm.

It is believed American broadcaster NBC was furious and questioned officials how a postponement of such a major event could even be considered.

It is understood officials have said if it is smoggy in the tomorrow, a 1.30pm start deadline (two-and-a-half hours behind schedule) has been set for the race to start and, if not, the event could be postponed for 24 hours. The women's road race is scheduled for Sunday.

Tour de France runner-up Cadel Evans is a medal contender in the race and it is understood organisers were so concerned with the air quality in Beijing today they had no choice but to inform media outlets.

At one stage it was believed that rowing events could be affected.

A postponement of the road race would cause chaos for Australian broadcaster Seven because coverage of the race was expected to last most of the afternoon and into the early evening in Australia.
Old 08-08-08, 04:13 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of links about the Canadian and US road racing teams:

https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=3771

https://www.cbc.ca/olympics/cycling/s...s.html?ref=rss

Another interesting article:

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympic...nt_6917313.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.