Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Has anyone gotten their alien?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Has anyone gotten their alien?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 12:10 AM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah - I'm fairly positive that Alien = Kazane. If you look at the pics of the two side by side, they are almost the same - "Super End" style fork dropouts, the blunted end of the seat stay where it meets top of seat tube, and the distinct rear track ends. Also, same tubing.
Old 08-06-08, 02:09 AM
jussik
馬鹿野郎!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't Stratton from Keirin Culture say somewhere here that the Kazane is made by the only factory in Taiwan who makes lugged frames? It would then make sense if both Alien and Kazane were made by same people at the same place and with same fork ends, same steel and so on.

But is the geo really the same in both frames? I somehow got the idea that Alien claims to be more 'tight and aggressive' but Kazane is not making such claims? Also, the Kazane geo graph/table is nowhere to seen, or is it?

Last edited by jussik; 08-06-08 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-06-08, 02:21 AM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...azanegeometry/ looks to be a little different, check it yourself though as I'm tired and about to sleep.

https://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p.../kazaneimages/ for pictures. Track ends and top of seat stays are identical.

If they're not the same frame, they're for sure made in the same factory in Taiwan. I'm leaning towards the latter - I'd say same factory, same builders, possibly slighter different geo/measurements.
Old 08-06-08, 02:38 AM
shredsled87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are the same. Here is a picture of the two forks. Kazane on the left, and Alien on the right.

Old 08-06-08, 04:57 AM
jussik
馬鹿野郎!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I was just briefly looking at the 54cm Kazane geo pic (link above) and the numbers for a 55cm Alien geo (here), and it seem that the frames are almost the same but there are some very very minor differencies. Also Alien gives the numbers less accurately.

So, basically the only real difference between the two is the price, and the paint options.

Last edited by jussik; 08-06-08 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-09-08, 11:55 AM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not mine, saw it on Velospace.

After seeing those clearances, I'm sold. I want to build one of these into a classic aesthetics style track bike, something real clean with box rims and see how light I can get it without sacrificing durability on any of the parts.
Old 08-09-08, 12:15 PM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is winner of first powdercoated alien ever!

Old 08-09-08, 12:23 PM
reedreeder

man that looks good. also, why would seeing clearances make you want to buy a bike? it just seems slightly less convenient.

Old 08-09-08, 12:25 PM
zzoundss

Bikes: 53cm Levant NJS, 54cm Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alien's lugs are a lot longer and narrow while the Kazane are shorter and fatter.
Old 08-09-08, 12:31 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reedreeder
man that looks good. also, why would seeing clearances make you want to buy a bike? it just seems slightly less convenient.
It's inconvenient as hell. I've just always wanted to have a really tight track bike, it's a classic aesthetic thing. Restricts the fender options but oh well, I'm going to be getting a steel road bike for that eventually too. Also, I miss my Anchor and I like the way traditional diameter steel bikes ride (as oppposed to modern oversized TIG'd, which also rides nice but most people can probably feel the difference) and want to build something like my Anchor but cheaper for commuting/track training/alleycats...

Yeah and the Kazane's indeed have different lugs, but the two bikes are obviously made in the same factory, probably by the same hands.
Old 08-09-08, 01:43 PM
colintdesign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That rear wheel looks like it's touching the seat tube, but then I noticed they have the wheel all the way forward in the dropouts with a taught chain—bad idea and leaves no room for adjustment. The dropouts look pretty long, so you should be able to pull back enough to fit fenders or wider tires. Frame looks real nice.
Old 08-10-08, 11:56 AM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain doesn't look that tight, but it's hard to tell from a non-driveside photo. I have my wheel about that close to the seat tube on my KHS track right now for street ratio (53x19) so that I can flip it around and run as low as a 53x15 for track training (read: not racing), I could probably even do a 53x14 but that would be one monster ratio. Just have to push the axle a few mm back to derail the chain, not too hard once you get the hang of it.

If I could figure out how to take a damn picture with my laptop webcam I'd post it... meh.
Old 08-11-08, 02:32 AM
alienbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
Oh yeah - I'm fairly positive that Alien = Kazane. If you look at the pics of the two side by side, they are almost the same - "Super End" style fork dropouts, the blunted end of the seat stay where it meets top of seat tube, and the distinct rear track ends. Also, same tubing.
The lugs are from Long-Shen. For example the fork crown is available from many places like:

https://www.framebuilding.com/NEWPART...k%20Crowns.htm

The track ends:

https://www.framebuilding.com/Frame%20Ends%203.htm

So similarities there do not mean the frames are the same. As others have noted, the lugs are different, and the geometry. In particular the fork rake is quite different, making for quite different handling.

I have no idea where the Kazane is made, but I do know they are not the same frames. Aliens are made to my spec, and reflect my ideas of how a track frame should be, and the Kazane is made to the specs of the good folks at Keirin Culture. Variation is the spice of life!

Joseph (Alien)
Old 08-11-08, 01:37 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Joseph, but we kind of already figured that out from looking more closely... either way, seems like there'd be a good chance that they're both made in the same factory atleast. Definite possibility.

By the way I'm stoked to get an Alien when I eventually have a job/the money.