Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Wetsuit help

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Wetsuit help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 03:15 PM
Shazaam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wetsuit help

I am very new to tri's and I am looking for wetsuits that are good but not real expansive. Next issues what size.

I am 5'-10" and weigh about 205lbs (still trying to drop another 20 or so). Anyways when I look on line the sizes are way out of whack I mean they have the heigh range from 5'-9" - 6'-3" that is a huge difference to sell the person the same suit. Eitter the person at 5'-9" is going to drag the legs and arms on the ground or the 6'-3" guy will swim in calf lengths and 3/4 sleeves.

Plus the weight thing seems off too. I know I am still overweight compared to almost every triathelete but I am getting there. I don't want to rent a suit cause I want to get comfortable in swimming in my suit and make sure the fit is perfect for me. Please help where ever you can.
Old 07-21-08, 05:56 PM
Rahzel

Bikes: Trek 1500 road bike, Giant Trinity Alliance tri bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you drop 20 pounds or more, you'll need a new wetsuit anyway--wetsuit fit is *very* body specific. Most reputable brands of wetsuits sell lots of sizes (I'm not sure what brand would dare sell only one wetsuit for anyone between 5'9" and 6'3"). Quintana Roo (the wetsuit I wear) sells 18 different sizes of wetsuits, in short, normal and tall versions for a given weight.

Rent or borrow a wetsuit for a while, until you get within 10 pounds of your goal weight. Then, get fitted for a wetsuit by a reputable brand such as DeSoto, Quintana Roo, Orca, Nineteen, Blue Seventy, Promotion or 2XU.
Old 08-11-08, 05:56 AM
gervelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try www.sportsbasement.com they have a huge selection of wetsuits on sale...
Old 08-11-08, 10:31 AM
sparky221

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a ProMotion suit from www.wetsuit.com. It's a lot cheaper than the really nice ones listed above, but it is Tri specific and seems to work pretty well. Like you, I wanted to practice in mine and renting one for 3 practices and the race was the same as buying one, at least in Seattle. The cool thing about ProMotion is you can call them, give them your measurements (height, weight, etc) and they will tell you which suit will fit. I was surprised at the size recommended but was assured that it would fit. The woman on the phone works there and knows if the suits are running big or small and what works for what body size.

The suit is inexpensive enough that you can replace it next year when you are much thinner and you won't be out a lot of money. I know many folks in this area use these suits. The suit fits well, works, and is nicely made. It may not be as high tech or as beautifully constructed as the better suits, but it's a great starter Tri wetsuit and I'm very happy with the purchase.

I am in no way affiliated with the company and get nothing by passing this along.