Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

how do you dry your clothes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 07:36 AM
erbfarm

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

my first-ever tour starts this Thursday morning and I'd like some advice. I'll be washing out some clothes along the way -- underwear, cycling shirt, sports bra, socks. I've washed this stuff at home and it doesn't dry by morning but takes about a day to dry. Plus it's really humid and rainy here so that's not helping. Do you clip clothes to the back of your rack or panniers and dry them that way? Thanks!
Old 08-10-08, 07:39 AM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yup, strap them on the back of the bike to dry. or, as i am doing right this moment, find somewhere with a dryer and wait.
Old 08-10-08, 08:08 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First thing is to leave anything made of cotton at home. Coolmax or other synthetic blends dry much faster. Plus, when worn a little damp, the clothes don't seem as clammy and dry anyway once you start riding. Also, black garments heat up faster in the sun and thus dry more quickly than light colored ones. But lower temps and high humidity are not never helpful when doing laundry on the road.

If the weather is cooperative, I do my washing in a five gallon zip lock bag with biodegradable soap. All rinsings go into toilets or are poured well away from surface waters. I then hang everything with clothespins on a plastic clothes line. If I'm lucky, everything dries before dark, if not - usually not - I hang clothes from parachute cord strung up inside my tent. If still damp the next morning - usually is - I either wear the clothes anyway or spread them out inside the mesh external pockets of my panniers and flag them off the rear rack of my bike.
Old 08-10-08, 08:13 AM
uciflylow
Still on two wheels!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I went on a week long tour last month I only carried 2 changes of on the bike clothing. I washed the one I rode in when I took a shower in the evening and hung them to drip over night. Nothing dries at night in this part of the country, so I strapped it on the back of the bike and it usually took untill around 10 or 11am to begin drying, but when the sun was higher they dried quite fast and I packed them away for the rest of the days trip. I did stay at state parks on my tour that had amenities, but I'm sure I could have washed them in a bathroom sink at a convenince store somewhere along the way just as easily.
Old 08-10-08, 08:16 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
1) Bring a clothes line
2) If the clothes aren't dry by the morning, hang the clothes off the bike
3) Bring more than 1 set of clothes

By the way, you might want to get some cycling shorts. They're much more comfortable on long rides than "civilian" clothes. You can get baggy shorts if you prefer a bit of modesty.
Old 08-10-08, 08:42 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Haven't tried it myself but I heard if you blow up a balloon and place the clothing over the balloon, it will dry faster.

Has anyone tried one of these? They get very, very mixed reviews. From piece of trash to a fantastic product.
Old 08-10-08, 08:58 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Haven't tried it myself but I heard if you blow up a balloon and place the clothing over the balloon, it will dry faster.

Has anyone tried one of these? They get very, very mixed reviews. From piece of trash to a fantastic product.
Quite an annoying commercial, but it brings to mind another important trick about drying clothes that I forgot about. When you've got something that you absolutely need to get dry, you can roll it up with a towel and stand on it. Water will then distribute itself equally between the object being dried and the towel. Of course, you sacrifice a dry towel, but you might have much drier clothes the next day.

Any towel will do. But I guess some work better than others.
Old 08-10-08, 10:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts
1) Clip them to your panniers and let them flap in the breeze

2) Use a dryer

3) Drape them over the mesh inner of your tent (under the fly)
Old 08-10-08, 10:41 AM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bring 4 or 5 days worth of riding cloths and use Laundromats. Cloths don't weigh much and I hate doing hand washing.
Old 08-10-08, 07:48 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclesafe
...When you've got something that you absolutely need to get dry, you can roll it up with a towel and stand on it. Water will then distribute itself equally between the object being dried and the towel. Of course, you sacrifice a dry towel, but you might have much drier clothes the next day.

Any towel will do. But I guess some work better than others.
That works very well for me. I use a packtowel and just roll up clothes and twist. I use a regular towel & roll up clothes when I stayed inside at hostels/guesthouse/etc. My clothes would allmost allways be dry next morning.
Old 08-10-08, 08:34 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm pretty much in the "go find a dryer" group. Or else just hang out until 11:00 AM, and then get on the bike. If you have time to do laundry, you have time to start a couple of hours later; it's not a race. On my tour earlier this summer, I just wore clothes for a couple of days at a time (gross, perhaps, but if you've been in the infantry, as I have, not so bad), and brought enough to last for a week. Had I stayed out longer than a week, I would have taken half a day off and gone to a laundry. I'm not turning my bike into a rolling clothesline.
Old 08-11-08, 10:01 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wash my riding clothes in the shower with me. If there's no shower I wash them in a cook pot. Then I hang them up in camp. They're usually not dry by morning, so I bungee them on top of my sleeping bag and tent. They're always dry when I get to camp the next afternoon (they were probably dry by lunchtime.)

If it looks like rain I don't wash my clothes. I stretch out the wearing-washing interval. To me, dry-but-dirty clothes are preferable to clean-but-wet. If the rain lasts, it might be time to find a laundromat (which is a good, warm place to hide out from the rain.)

I woman I met on the Oregon coast had one of those warning flags - like they sell for kids' bikes, recumbents, and Bob trailers - bungeed sideways on her rear rack. The flag stuck out a ways to the left. The idea was that this would make drivers give her an extra few inches of clearance, not wanting to have her flag touch their precious automobiles. The reason I bring it up is because she would hang her socks from the "flagpole" with little clothespins - a couple on each side. It looked pretty amusing from behind, but it worked!
Old 08-11-08, 01:23 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I found out last month that more than one change of clothes pretty much stay in the panniers. I brought a lenght of line and hung my clothes overnight.

Many times I put on the wet clothes and they dried pretty quickly while riding. Not much different than going for a swim.
Old 08-11-08, 02:02 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by erbfarm
my first-ever tour starts this Thursday morning and I'd like some advice. I'll be washing out some clothes along the way -- underwear, cycling shirt, sports bra, socks. I've washed this stuff at home and it doesn't dry by morning but takes about a day to dry. Plus it's really humid and rainy here so that's not helping. Do you clip clothes to the back of your rack or panniers and dry them that way? Thanks!

There are several ways. Obviously in warm sunny weather you can alternately wear the wet stuff till it dries, and rotate thru all your wet gear till there is none left. Keeps ya cool, too!

You can put some lashed to your packs to dry in the wind, but this can look messy, sort of like a two wheeled bag lady.

If you use breathable panniers, you can put the wet stuff loosely in the pannier on top of your dry stuff (which could be in a small plastic bag by itself) and it will dry due to heat and light during the day. This will not happen with 'waterproof' bags like Ortlieb, one of the many reasons why i don't use them.

You can hang them on your bike during a rest stop, for example if ya have sandwiches or do a cafe for an hour or so.

You can hang them on your tent (or between the tent and rain fly) if you camp early enough on a sunny day to dry them.

During a sustained wet spell--I had only one bad one on my tour this summer---your best bet is a laundromat. For a couple quarters at most, all your stuff--including a down filled bag, which gets clammy in damp weather---is nice and spiffy new.

roughstuff
Old 08-11-08, 04:45 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by gregw
I bring 4 or 5 days worth of riding cloths and use Laundromats. Cloths don't weigh much and I hate doing hand washing.
Yep. Best way. Doing laundry everyday is a PITA. Plus hanging clothes on a line overnight is a crap shoot. What if it decides to rain?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-13-08, 05:07 PM
lucille

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum. This is thread answers exactly what I've been wondering about. Thanks!

One more question though. Do you guys normally put your cycling clothes in the dryer? At home we never do, just let it air dry. Is the heat not going to ruin the lycra?
Old 08-13-08, 05:20 PM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
Hello, I'm new to the forum. This is thread answers exactly what I've been wondering about. Thanks!

One more question though. Do you guys normally put your cycling clothes in the dryer? At home we never do, just let it air dry. Is the heat not going to ruin the lycra?
at home, no drier. on tour, i'll use the drier if i need to. yeah, it reduces the life of your clothes, but so does the amount of wear they get on tour. i figure on a longer (2+ month) tour, by the end of the trip the clothes are toast anyway. i'd rather DO what i want to do, and not be owned by my stuff. it's only clothes.

Old 08-13-08, 05:22 PM
lucille

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That makes sense. Thanks!
Old 08-14-08, 08:57 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by valygrl
at home, no drier. on tour, i'll use the drier if i need to. yeah, it reduces the life of your clothes, but so does the amount of wear they get on tour. i figure on a longer (2+ month) tour, by the end of the trip the clothes are toast anyway. i'd rather DO what i want to do, and not be owned by my stuff. it's only clothes.

From the Clothing Dictionary

Laundering Lycra

Machine washing and tumble drying are the preferred manner of laundering.

If the other fibers in the garment are machine washable and dryable, this should be the recommended method for cleaning. The heat generated by machine drying will help recover any lost stretch that occurred during the wearing of a garment. Thorough washing, rinsing and drying in machines brings out the best in Lycra.

I've been drying my lycra clothes in a drier for ages without problem. Many of my shorts are multiple years old, too.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-14-08, 11:54 AM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl

On both of my two month tours I ended up having to replace my shorts towards the end anyway. Wearing them every other day over 8 weeks kills shorts. So I've always figured I'll wash them however is easiest for me now, they'll be ruined in a few weeks anyway.
Old 08-14-08, 01:52 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I use my Stephenson's Vapor Barrier shirt to dry my wool biking shirts/tops. I discovered this by accident after getting wet in a cloudburst. With the VBL against my skin I layered the wet shirt over it while setting up camp and making dinner. By the time I finished eating the wool long sleeve top was dry.

When I tell anyone about the benefits of a vbl top and bottom they dismiss it as the impossible ravings of a mad cyclist. All that I know is that it works for me. I could bore you with a long list of benefits but I will only refer you to the Stephenson site. https://www.warmlite.com/vb_shirt.htm

https://www.warmlite.com/vb.htm
Old 08-14-08, 09:00 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yep. Best way. Doing laundry everyday is a PITA. Plus hanging clothes on a line overnight is a crap shoot. What if it decides to rain?
I respectfully disagree - sort of. In my opinion, stopping to do laundry is often the PITA. Other times I don't mind. If it's raining, I don't mind stopping in a laundromat at all. You're right about the rain, but I usually have a fairly good idea what the weather forecast is. If there's no rain forecast, I hang my clothes out.
Old 08-15-08, 08:07 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I respectfully disagree - sort of. In my opinion, stopping to do laundry is often the PITA. Other times I don't mind. If it's raining, I don't mind stopping in a laundromat at all. You're right about the rain, but I usually have a fairly good idea what the weather forecast is. If there's no rain forecast, I hang my clothes out.
I don't stop at laundromats to do my laundry. Most commercial campgrounds have laundry facilities as do hotels. If I can't get to either of those, I will do my laundry by hand but there are enough places that have the facilities that I seldom have to do hand laundry.

Old 08-16-08, 11:13 AM
BigBlueToe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don't stop at laundromats to do my laundry. Most commercial campgrounds have laundry facilities as do hotels. If I can't get to either of those, I will do my laundry by hand but there are enough places that have the facilities that I seldom have to do hand laundry.
Well, I have to agree with that. I usually avoid commercial campgrounds because they're more expensive, but I have stayed in some when there was no alternative, and if my clothes needed washing, I availed myself of their laundry facilities.
Old 08-16-08, 01:33 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by arctos
I use my Stephenson's Vapor Barrier shirt to dry my wool biking shirts/tops. I discovered this by accident after getting wet in a cloudburst. With the VBL against my skin I layered the wet shirt over it while setting up camp and making dinner. By the time I finished eating the wool long sleeve top was dry.

When I tell anyone about the benefits of a vbl top and bottom they dismiss it as the impossible ravings of a mad cyclist. All that I know is that it works for me. I could bore you with a long list of benefits but I will only refer you to the Stephenson site. https://www.warmlite.com/vb_shirt.htm

https://www.warmlite.com/vb.htm
OOH, that's a nice tip! I can see how the vapor barrier top would work to dry out clothes-especially just after cycling.

-I used a vapor barrier sleeping bag liner, and vapor barrier socks before as part of a sleep system. Worked like a charm in Xinjiang/Tibet (bellow freezing).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.