Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Why I will never ride with brakes.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why I will never ride with brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 06:30 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hahabark
Wow, I'm quite shocked how many replies this got. I read one of them that said I don't know what Zen is, but, I do. I have practiced Buddhism for a time. Some people will meditate sitting in their house cross legged with the eyes half way closed thinking of their enemies as their friends. But for me, when I am on my fixie, that is my way of meditating. I breathe the air and live in the moment.
But at the same time, while riding without brakes, you have to look far ahead of you for obstacles that will occur.
At first I thought you were just a bigbris fake account. Even he isn't this ****ing stupid. You have practiced buddhism? You must have been piss poor at meditating if you think riding around looking far ahead to predict what obstacles may get in your way is a good form of meditation.

And yes, there are sudden surprises every now and then, but the beautiful thing about the human body is that it heals.
haha

The "worst analogy of the year" would be one that wasn't logical...mine works. Pizza with cheese is the standard just like a track bike without brakes is the standard. People getting pissy about somebody riding a track bike without brakes makes about as much sense as being shocked by somebody who wants cheese on their pizza.
It's a bad analogy because it doesn't work. Cheese on a pizza tastes good and can be mildly unhealthy if consumed in excess. Riding without a brake is dangerous despite what people claim even after they get in multiple wrecks and requires more work to maintain a lower speed but is the cool thing to do.

Genocide is like just like wearing your clothes backwards. Most of the people aren't commiting acts of genocide just like most of the time people aren't wearing their clothes backwards. People getting pissy about genocide makes about as much sense as being shocked by kris kross.
Old 08-21-08, 06:31 AM
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real

Bikes: Hummer H2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fake.
Old 08-21-08, 06:45 AM
Adam G.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sp00ki
this forum is summed up by the fact that:
constructive threads are getting no replies while the one about the ******** kid who can't figure out how to ride a geared bike gets four pages in like three hours.

bananas.
You couldn't be more right with this statement! I am new on this board and already realized this in the first couple of days.
Old 08-21-08, 06:46 AM
jodypolk
never eaten better listen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Genocide is like just like wearing your clothes backwards. Most of the people aren't commiting acts of genocide just like most of the time people aren't wearing their clothes backwards. People getting pissy about genocide makes about as much sense as being shocked by kris kross.
goddamn you're good sometimes. lol.
Old 08-21-08, 07:17 AM
jodypolk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ha
Old 08-21-08, 07:32 AM
bigbris1
One skid from blown knees

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sp00ki
this forum is summed up by the fact that:
constructive threads are getting no replies while the one about the ******** kid who can't figure out how to ride a geared bike gets four pages in like three hours.

bananas.
Exactly

I really don't care about the name calling on this thread, because I was the one who was riding my bike while you were sitting on here calling me nonsense.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to one.
Precisely

Originally Posted by joetotale
what now, you gonna write me off because i don't live in manhattan?
No, because anyone named Joe is definitely a douschebag.

Originally Posted by TR909
Bikepath does not equal sidewalk.
If it's in NYC, and cars are not allowed, it is a sidewalk. Bikepath is the equivalent to a front brake. Tuck in your skirt & ride on the street.
Old 08-21-08, 07:38 AM
bigbris1
One skid from blown knees

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Tr909

I needed a whole seprate space for this.

The BD Windsor Hour is the deal of the century. Great platform off of which to build if one chooses, or good enough to ride it like it is. The best part? It comes without brakes.

I love that people think that is there isn't some well know brand name associated with something that must mean it is crap. That just shows that you are a follower, afraid of what other people think, that if your bike is not a well known brand, you'll be nothing. Wait, that's just it! You need those names to be somebody. A confident man can do it with a nameless bike & still look great. My bike is solid & I couldn't be happier with it.

See it on my velospace link below. I regularly ride down to Battery Park City from Harlem. If you see me in the street, come over & say hi.
Old 08-21-08, 08:00 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbris1
@Tr909

The BD Windsor Hour is the deal of the century. Great platform off of which to build if one chooses, or good enough to ride it like it is. The best part? It comes without brakes.

I love that people think that is there isn't some well know brand name associated with something that must mean it is crap. That just shows that you are a follower, afraid of what other people think, that if your bike is not a well known brand, you'll be nothing. Wait, that's just it! You need those names to be somebody. A confident man can do it with a nameless bike & still look great. My bike is solid & I couldn't be happier with it.
The windsors a decent deal but it;s a pretty ****ty platform. It's not versatile, the tubing is mediocre, there is a lot of **** hung on it that's not durable or absolute crap. It's a great bike if you don't have much to spend and you really want a fixed gear you can ride right now but in the long run it's a money pit. There are much much better bikes for not much more. I guess we shouldn't expect someone who thought that the bens bike wheels were good(did you even check the tension?) or couldn't tell that the "sheriff star" srs were absolute crap to be a good judge of quality.

If it's in NYC, and cars are not allowed, it is a sidewalk. Bikepath is the equivalent to a front brake. Tuck in your skirt & ride on the street.
I still have trouble believing your not a fake account and if it wasn't for some of the ****ups that came before you here I definitely wouldn't. Is anyone really this ****ing insecure?
Old 08-21-08, 08:07 AM
deathhare
:jarckass:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dutret

I still have trouble believing your not a fake account and if it wasn't for some of the ****ups that came before you here I definitely wouldn't. Is anyone really this ****ing insecure?

Last edited by deathhare; 08-21-08 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-21-08, 08:15 AM
TR909

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Tr909

See it on my velospace link below. I regularly ride down to Battery Park City from Harlem. If you see me in the street, come over & say hi.
Bris-

Bruh, I said nothing of your Windsor Hour. Probably because I also don't see how what brand of bike you ride is relevant. Please read my posts again and tell me where I drop brand names or call you out on what you ride. All of my posts have been of the inclusive (we all ride bikes) vein and many of yours are exclusionary and condescending. Again, you turn in an entire paragraph where you namecall and assume without caring enough to read what you are rebutting. My riding buddy has been on a bike since the late 70's riding both brakeless and on a geared road bike and *gasp* a wussy singlespeed. You think he gives a damn whether people use their brake or not? All he cares about is that you don't cause him to crash on the road.

A confident man does not worry who's a follower and who's a leader, he's too busy doing what makes him happy to care where he stands in other people's eyes.
Old 08-21-08, 08:21 AM
Longfemur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you knew Zen or Buddhism, or almost any other kind of spiritual and moral practice, you would value your responsibility towards others and to your broader community. This means that unless you're riding on a closed track, you will have brakes on your bike instead of acting like some kind of self-centered social miscreant.
Old 08-21-08, 08:23 AM
joetotale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, because anyone named Joe is definitely a douschebag.
Srsly? can't do better than that?

this from some guy with "bris" in his sn. bigcircumcision1.
Old 08-21-08, 08:30 AM
TR909

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfemur
If you knew Zen or Buddhism, or almost any other kind of spiritual and moral practice, you would value your responsibility towards others and to your broader community. This means that unless you're riding on a closed track, you will have brakes on your bike instead of acting like some kind of self-centered social miscreant.
Amen. My brake is more out of a concern not to hurt others than out of self-preservation. I accept eating ish every once in awhile as a matter of fact of daily riding. I just healed up from a broken radius that kept me off the bike for 6 weeks. A brake would not have helped in that crash but I keep one on anyway. Oh well, better tell myself to HTFU to beat you guys to the punch!
Old 08-21-08, 08:34 AM
ZiP0082

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-21-08, 08:49 AM
Jabba Degrassi
FNG

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by louderthangod
The "worst analogy of the year" would be one that wasn't logical...mine works. Pizza with cheese is the standard just like a track bike without brakes is the standard. People getting pissy about somebody riding a track bike without brakes makes about as much sense as being shocked by somebody who wants cheese on their pizza.
Actually, pizza with cheese is the American standard. Traditionally, Greek and Italian pizza is often enjoyed with nothing more than olive oil, herbs and spices, or just plain.
Old 08-21-08, 09:27 AM
haywireII
me la cavo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry man, there are a few of us on who here know what you mean. Too bad this forum is full of high school & college kids who are scared wannabe internet tough guy wimps (and older guys trying to identify with the latter so they side with them) who overcompensate for their shortcomings with brakes. This thread will go on for about 5 pages more with nothing positive. Enjoy your riding & don't let these jerks deter you. I really wish I could meet some of these guys in person.
I don't really have any shortcomings. I'm good looking, I have a good job where I get to travel a lot and do what I like, sorta. I bone some good looking girls and I'm still pretty young clocking in at 28. I'm actually pretty tough too... but not like in a shaved head and a TAPOUT GEAR shirt; like really, but I don't threaten anyone. I have a brake on a couple of my bikes and one without. Since I'm so awesome my brakes can't possibly be to overcome any shortcomings.

Who knows, I may be the man bites dog though...

My awesome life aside, I think my main point is that yuuuuuurrrrr gaaaaaay.
Old 08-21-08, 09:43 AM
jodypolk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
who are all you weirdos?
Old 08-21-08, 10:22 AM
TX3.0
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love the kids new to "fixies" who brag about riding brakeless. as if that gains them points or some ****.

i guess by that rational, ted shred is cooler than any of you.

what's also amusing is the amount of kids buying fixed gears acting like they know all about bikes, when this is the first bike they've had since 4th grade.

why did i come back to BF?
Old 08-21-08, 11:18 AM
xylophonecks
i can has tarck?

Bikes: '07 BFSSFGIRO / '84 Trek 770

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
simple. you sir, are a masochist.
Old 08-21-08, 11:36 AM
TX3.0
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:bear:
Old 08-21-08, 11:41 AM
Guvna
Not a dick.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no brake=no brains.
Old 08-21-08, 11:59 AM
bakaster

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, homegrown fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TR909
A confident man does not worry who's a follower and who's a leader, he's too busy doing what makes him happy to care where he stands in other people's eyes.
+1

It is true that in any religion there is a focus on instructing the individual in a manner that benefits the group, but riding brakeless (if you are conscientious) does not have to be an act of social menace.

i ride both with and without brakes, and the way that you think is very different depending on the platform. i enjoy riding my brakeless fixed gear more than ones with brakes. even though i generally go slower and spend more time being cautious, the utter simplicity and the feel appeals to me.

Now before you guys jump on me for being another crazy bay area hooligan, let me explain that i use my beater bike (with brakes) when i am commuting, if there is going to be a large number of people, and a number of other times. When it comes to riding for pleasure, i seek out as empty a road as i can pedal to and spend my time there. (this all changes when i am back in SB as there are miles and miles of bike paths and the vast majority of them are very flat)
Old 08-21-08, 12:06 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Liked 155 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by deathhare
Dont get lazy!

BTW, i have yet to see you around Atl.
Im out of town now but i got my eyes peeled for you.
I am back in birmingham right now, medical reasons. Plus I have a disability interview tomorrow to. and a gang load of dr appts in the next few weeks.

Originally Posted by deathhare
I hit a pig going down Hyde Street hill.
has no one heard the story of the time I plowed into a cop car riding riding brakeless going down a hill and got charged with assaulting an officer.
Old 08-21-08, 12:16 PM
bakaster

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, homegrown fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nope.
do tell!
Old 08-21-08, 12:16 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts
Well, I just got off the phone with God and he said he couldn't care less about the brake/no brake issue since all us fixed gear riders were going straight to hell anyways.

Dang! and He called me collect, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.