Southern California Southern California

Griffith Fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 08:35 AM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Griffith Fire

So I ride into the park after the Love ride Sunday to do a few drills before heading home and I smell..what's this?..barbecue?..they haven't allowed barbecue in the park since the last big fire. Did they lift the ban recently? At one point I go by a picnic area and a guy has the entire barbecue unit engulfed in flames. I'm thinking did I just ride into another dimension populated by complete imbeciles goverened by complete imbeciles?

So I start looking for a ranger, ride over to the ranger station, deserted. So I head home. Sure enough
on the evening news, Griffith Park Brush Fire-Zoo Evacuated. And the Fire Departmnet statement..We have no idea how the fire started. No Idea? Maybe it has something to do with allowing people that are incapable of handling fire safely to start thier own private brush fires in the picnic areas all over the park.

I have noticed that park usage was way down since the cook-out ban. So apparently the city government lifted the ban to encourage more people to use the park. Nice move, we almost made it through one weekend without setting the place on fire again.
Old 07-28-08, 09:16 AM
huboon
...o/o...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Judging by the map on the LAFD blog, the fire was on the ridge south of Travel Town:
https://lafd.blogspot.com
https://lafd.blogspot.com/2008/07/fir...park-fire.html

The fire is out but I have no idea if that area has reopened.
Old 08-16-08, 04:20 PM
huboon
...o/o...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just smelled smoke and went outside to find the source. Looks like GP is burning again and ash is raining on Burbank. This is getting old already.
Old 08-16-08, 05:55 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by huboon
Just smelled smoke and went outside to find the source. Looks like GP is burning again and ash is raining on Burbank. This is getting old already.
The fire is somewhere between Travel Town and the Zoo.
Old 08-16-08, 07:00 PM
roadfix
hello

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
I did not start this latest fire.
Old 08-16-08, 07:32 PM
roadfix
hello

So anyway, I'm going running instead. I had earlier planned on doing my usual loop up to the observatory, but this was before the fire began.
After I come back I'm bbq'ing some tri tip and watching the olympics. Yes I am.
Old 08-16-08, 07:58 PM
magicant
oo..O.O.o..OO...o

Bikes: Synapse

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadfix
I did not start this latest fire.
I still haven't forgiven you for the last one. When you're posing up at the Observatory, please leave the cubans at home.
Old 08-16-08, 08:11 PM
blarnie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was coming down Mt Hollywood Dr. when the fire was starting. I saw it in two seperate spots at that time. It was real starting to wind up at that time. The flames looked huge. There was an off duty cop who was riding down at the same time and the first thing he said was "arson" and he was actually trying to see if he could see anybody from that point. He took a couple of pics and then rode down towards Travel Town. It took another 10 min before I saw any fire response. I rode back around the Gene Autry / Zoo way and was able to ride back by Travel Town. There were several engine companies and news crews on that short street that goes to Forest Lawn Dr. I told a news producer with one of the crews that this "cop guy" thought it was arson and maybe there was something to the way they fires were burning and they may want to broadcast "if you have seen something suspicious...blah, blah, blah...she said "embers blow around"...blah,blah,blah...

embers blow against the wind?

Anyway, I know a sweaty cyclist might seem a little nuts...but aren't reporters trained to even maybe listen to the nutcases?

Perhaps, they wanted to get the same pictures the other two camera crews were getting?

I ride off down Forest Lawn Dr. then down Olive and when I get to the bridge that goes over the train tracks by the 5, I stop and have a look at the fire. There were a couple other areas that were smoking. When I got home, I have a look at the internet and it says 5 areas were on fire and they suspect arson.

I hope nobody was hurt and that I can ride there during the middle of the week.
Old 08-17-08, 10:02 AM
huboon
...o/o...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blarnie
I hope nobody was hurt and that I can ride there during the middle of the week.
Ditto.

Five fires in under two hours. The dude is begging to be caught. If they find him, we should be able to line up and take one punch each.
Old 08-18-08, 08:21 AM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Road was closed at the golf course on one side and at Travel Town on the other Sunday morning.
Old 08-18-08, 12:00 PM
magicant
oo..O.O.o..OO...o

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I REALLY hope they nail this guy. As if accidental fires aren't enough to deal with.
Old 08-19-08, 03:43 PM
huboon
...o/o...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom LaBonge names himself as an arson suspect:

Officials are encouraging park regulars to report risky or unusual activity, including people using lighters, road flares, campfires and smoking in restricted areas. The dry conditions in the park make the fires particularly dangerous.

``Everyone is a suspect,'' said city Councilman Tom LaBonge, whose district includes the park. ``There is an attack on the park.''
https://www.kfwb.com/Arson-Suspected-...-Fires/2812289
Old 08-21-08, 12:27 PM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by magicant
I REALLY hope they nail this guy. As if accidental fires aren't enough to deal with.
I heard they are planning on installing cell phone towers on water tanks so any suspicious activity or fire can be reported immediately. I received this info from a local hiking site.
Old 08-21-08, 08:41 PM
magicant
oo..O.O.o..OO...o

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
interesting idea - if someone sees something. I haven't heard that's been the case with the last few.

I have to admit that riding it the last few days, I've constantly scanned the sides of the road to see if anyone's doing anything funky. Since moving nearby, I've gotten very protective of that park!!!
Old 08-22-08, 09:29 AM
roadfix
hello

That's my park!
Old 08-22-08, 12:26 PM
magicant
oo..O.O.o..OO...o

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadfix
That's my park!
I'll split it with you.

You can have the Observatory patio and all the hiking trails. I'll take TT hill and Zoo drive. The rest we can alternate days. I'll take Tuesday, Thursday and every other weekend. You can have Christmas and New Year's, I'll take Thanksgiving and Easter.
Old 08-22-08, 01:17 PM
roadfix
hello

I hiked to the top of Mt. Hollywood last night. I wish they allow mountain bikes up there. I kept seeing this one guy on his mtb on the dirt trails. I saw him on two different hikes. That's a hell of a workout if you're able to ride to the top, all on dirt.
Anyway, here's a pic I took last night from the Mt. Hollywood veiwpoint.

Old 08-23-08, 06:12 PM
roadfix
hello

somone please bail me out quik[
Old 08-23-08, 07:40 PM
roadfix
hello

I didnt even get off my beik
Old 08-24-08, 08:24 AM
8TEESGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The arsonist was caught. He was reported by (I think) hikers, and tried to escape in a group of cyclists. He's a deranged bum on parole for (drum roll please) ARSON! LAFD reported he stood out in the group of cyclists since they were kitted out and described as "professional biker types" with the "pants and shoes". Lucky he didn't have "pants and shoes" or was riding an Orca, because he might have got away.
Old 08-24-08, 08:46 PM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 8TEESGUY
The arsonist was caught. He was reported by (I think) hikers, and tried to escape in a group of cyclists. He's a deranged bum on parole for (drum roll please) ARSON! LAFD reported he stood out in the group of cyclists since they were kitted out and described as "professional biker types" with the "pants and shoes". Lucky he didn't have "pants and shoes" or was riding an Orca, because he might have got away.
Yeah, I heard the press conference by the LAFD. Made me chuckle.
Old 08-25-08, 04:30 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 8TEESGUY
I guess this means riding in Griffith Park without a proper kit will get you arrested.