Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Worst touring/commuting tire ever? Here's my vote.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Worst touring/commuting tire ever? Here's my vote.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 03:39 PM
JMRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My personal bet goes on the hole already being there and the rock came later. That rock didn't cause that hole.
Old 08-22-08, 03:50 PM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JMRobertson
My personal bet goes on the hole already being there and the rock came later. That rock didn't cause that hole.
What are the chances of the tire hitting whatever caused the flat and immediately hitting a tiny pebble just the right size in the same hole within a few feet?
No way. This tire went flat quickly as could here the hiss.
And this tire had many other holes from rocks as well. All in the same places (under the little hole in the tread).
Old 08-23-08, 12:37 AM
thehum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kokomo61
Michelin Transworld City. They never flatted on me, but the small groves collected rocks like no tomorrow...
Ugh, ditto. My 26x1.9 Transworld Citys collected all the beer glass in Boston and flatted on me three times in the 6 months I've had them. Twice from tiny shards of glass, and once from a pushpin. Not to mention, as someone already did the squeal while cornering problem.
Old 08-24-08, 08:56 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting how you went with the Randonnuer, I was going to vote them the worst. Had 18 flats over a 3600 mile tour even after replacing the rear at around 1800.
Old 08-24-08, 09:15 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DennisTheBald
I guess I got 15-20 kmi out of it.
15 000 miles on a tire? OMG!!!!
Old 08-24-08, 11:40 PM
TeamRoundBoys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrownd
Nobody's fooled - they should just be honest and name all their tires "Kenda Krap". The just hearing the name "Kenda" makes me wince.
For a commuter tire, they really haven't put much effort into their offerings. For mtb'ing, their tires are stellar.
Old 08-25-08, 12:04 AM
Sonoma76

Bikes: 08 Seven Alaris, 07 Jamis Quest, 08 Swobo Dixon, 91 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a month ago, i posted a thread called "A shimmy on my Swobo." I described how when I'd turn sharp on my swobo, I felt as if the rear wheel was slipping. In reality, it wasn't; I wasn't losing traction, it just felt as if the rear end was slipping out from under me.

Another guy with the same swobo told me he replaced his tires and that same problem went away.

what tires are on the Swobo Dixon?

Kenda Kwests.

I've only had one flat on them in 500 miles, but I'm starting to think they aren't up to the task for daily commuting.
Old 08-25-08, 12:12 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkauffman
Interesting how you went with the Randonnuer, I was going to vote them the worst. Had 18 flats over a 3600 mile tour even after replacing the rear at around 1800.

I liked these for the first 1500km or so, now they look like swiss cheese from the glass thats stuck in them. Its almost like the rubber compound has a sell by date.
Old 08-25-08, 01:27 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Regarding Kendas: I'm running a Kenda 27x1-3/8" gumwall with what can best be described as a cyclocross tread on my Magneet (long haul tourer and commuter), and have had one puncture in two years. For $15.00 a tyre, I'm not complaining.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 08-25-08, 07:06 PM
Jaeger

Bikes: Rocky Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Rocky Mountain Metro that came with those same Kenda Kwest tires.

I've noticed the tread picking up small rocks just like yours, but I can't say I've ever had a puncture from a rock like that. In fact, I had no real complaints for the first 1500 miles, but then I started getting frequent flats on the rear even though it didn't look very worn. I swapped the rear to the front and they've been okay for about another 1000 miles.

All in all, I'd say they're okay for a fairly low end commuter tire but I'll definitely be buying something else when it's time for replacement, and I certainly wouldn't do any loaded touring with them. I'm a little surprised to see a RM Sherpa comes with them - a decent touring bike like that shouldn't come with cheapo tires.
Old 08-25-08, 07:59 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was ask you if your avatar was a Contax or a Nikon, but then I saw your username lol

All this talk reminds me that I need to check my tires after yesterday's ride for any crap I prolly picked up...
Old 08-25-08, 08:29 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamRoundBoys
For a commuter tire, they really haven't put much effort into their offerings. For mtb'ing, their tires are stellar.
I will admit to ignorance in that area.
Old 08-25-08, 09:10 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
That is interesting because I have only had success with Kenda Kwest tires. I used to use a 700 X 35 size. Never had a flat, then again I always use extra thick inner tubes. I wanted use the Kwest on my MTB, but they didn't have a size larger than 1.5".

On the other hand I had gotten some Kenda 26 X 2.0 cruiser tires to try them out. I thought it was odd the maximum tire inflation was 40 psi. They rolled nice, but the tires were so thin and soft that they were vulnerable to anything with a point. After 4 flats within a 3 month period that was it.