Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone doing the NYC Century ride next weekend?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 08:42 AM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

wondering what goes on after the ride
Old 08-28-08, 09:09 AM
Danielle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where exactly do you do 100 miles in NYC?
Old 08-28-08, 12:25 PM
jsmithepa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danielle
Where exactly do you do 100 miles in NYC?
30 loops 'round Central Park?

"Do" afterwards? Are u like... boasting?
Old 08-28-08, 12:39 PM
gfrance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It runs thru all the Burroughs (except Staten Island). It is actually a rather nice century (it was my first). But I won't do it again... I've 'moved on' let's just say.

Not sure if anything goes on after the ride other than a bit of camaraderie in Central Park. The rest stops are very well done. Very well supported and well attended. Perhaps too many people. Get to the park early for the start if you don't want to be jammed up too far in the back.
Old 08-28-08, 12:45 PM
nycwtorres

Bikes: Aluminum Falcon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in!.. Never done it. Sounds fun, but I can't decide if I should ride my new fancy Carbon bike or my trusty ole aluminum tour bike. The streets can be hell on your wheels and lots of portaging. I'm leaning toward Ole trusty "the aluminum falcon" she's been crashed dropped and scratched, and can handle anything.
Old 08-28-08, 01:21 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 74 Times in 19 Posts
My daughter lives in Manhattan and would put me up - what a great excuse to come see her!

So who here IS doing the ride, and would you like to join forces if I put in an appearance?

Never having transported a bike across the continent, I have a thought that I'd buy or rent a single-speed bike in New York; even if I didn't do a century, I know I'd have fun tooling around town while my kid's at work.
Old 08-28-08, 01:28 PM
akcapbikeforums

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
nt

Last edited by akcapbikeforums; 12-07-08 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-28-08, 01:34 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akcapbikeforums
My wife and I were thinking about driving up from VA BCH to do the NYC Century on Sept 7. It really looks like fun. Then I found out I have jury duty for the whole month of September... I have to be available every Monday morning. Maybe next year.

All five burroughs in one ride:
Actually, it's only 4 of 5 boroughs. You don't get into Staten Island.

It's a century on city streets open to vehicular traffic. Not a bad ride, just lots of stopping which really adds up. Let's just say this isn't going to be one of those sub-5 hour centuries.
Old 08-28-08, 01:52 PM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm doing it for the fourth year -- I'm a marshall (for the third time). It's a fun ride. Not much goes on afterwards, in fact I've always been a bit let down by the lame ending in Central Park. It just kinda ends there, you get a TA branded water bottle and maybe small goody bag, but that's about it. However, you can probably meet up with people in Central Park afterwards. I am sure some people are going to a bar or something. Afterall, thousands of people show up for it.

Look for me on the 100 mile route. Super sexy guy on a blue Madone, fugly orange vest over some type of cycling jersey (an old FDJ kit if I'm feeling particularly lame and OCP that morning). I'll be with a blonde chick riding a fixie, maybe her bf on another fixie will join us.

FYI, 100 miles around Central Park would be closer to 16 loops (if you did the full 6-ish loop) :-) I ran the Knickerbocker 60K last year; it's entirely in Central Park. 9 loops (the 4 mile loop) plus and out and back start. Wow, that was dull. Planning on doing it again this year though.
Old 08-28-08, 02:11 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave:

U marshaling on your Madone?

I'm a 100 mile marshal as well. I was thinking of wearing my bikeforums.net jersey for the ride.
Old 08-28-08, 02:17 PM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorer75
Dave:

I'm a 100 mile marshal as well. I was thinking of wearing my bikeforums.net jersey for the ride.
Yep, on my madone. Crazy, I know, with all the potholes, but it's just hard NOT to ride that bike :-)
Also, I'm starting from Prospect Park since I live 2 blocks from there. I don't want to get up so damn early to take tue subway into Central Park only to then turn around and ride 15 miles back to where I started. I'll just tack the milage on to the end and ride home from central park after the centrury :-) This way I get to sleep in a bit longer :-)
Old 08-28-08, 02:20 PM
nycwtorres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorer75
you should marshal on this puppy

Old 08-28-08, 03:33 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You NYC guys going to wait till Peecad gets back from the Tour de Ouzo?
Old 08-29-08, 06:47 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be riding my third NY Century. It is a fun ride.
The map posted is pretty much the route. We share the roads with traffic, but it's not bad at all. The 100's start very early when Manhattan streets are almost deserted. Most of the shore-edge of Brooklyn is along the bike path. The ride spreads out quickly so it's not too crowded (in the Bronx I was solo and on some stretches I wouldn't see any other riders for 10 or 15 minutes at a time)
The end of the ride is not much. No big party, and no load of food like the rest stops. Usually a cheering section at the park entrance, tables with t-shirts and goodie bags, porta-toilets. If you want food, go to a street cart, or ride up to Broadway.
Unlike Bike New York, the century doesn't ride Central Park at all. Just starts and ends there.

Is anyone planning a BF meet-up this year?

Last edited by cc_rider; 08-29-08 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-08, 07:12 AM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gfrance
It runs thru all the Burroughs (except Staten Island). It is actually a rather nice century (it was my first). But I won't do it again... I've 'moved on' let's just say.

Not sure if anything goes on after the ride other than a bit of camaraderie in Central Park. The rest stops are very well done. Very well supported and well attended. Perhaps too many people. Get to the park early for the start if you don't want to be jammed up too far in the back.
+1
Old 08-29-08, 08:55 AM
jemoryl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gfrance
It runs thru all the Burroughs .....
The inventor of the adding machine or the author of Naked Lunch? You mean boroughs, no?
Or maybe burros?
Old 08-29-08, 08:58 AM
nycwtorres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-29-08, 11:44 AM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be riding the century route, my first time in this ride. Also my first century this year, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll be on my Gerolsteiner colors Tarmac in my Ohio State Jersey.
Old 09-02-08, 07:58 AM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to see that some other members are hitting this up. Just a few days away!
Old 09-02-08, 08:12 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I was really looking forward to this one but can't go because I have to attend a wedding.

Old 09-02-08, 08:43 AM
goldenskeletons
dan bones!

Bikes: iro mark v for street, sh itamori peloton for track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i worked as a mechanic on the century last year, and had a lot of fun. toward the end of the day, we packed up and followed the rest of the route back to central park.

TA really puts in the effort to make the century worthwhile, and they're always lookin' for volunteers before and after. this usually gets your fee waived if you're into it. also, there's free beer at the end of the ride.

i've been back on a bike for about three weeks since breakin' both of my collarbones, so i'm curious to see how i'm feeling at the end of the day.

i'll be on a white wateford with a wound up fork 'n a rival groupset. feel free to say hi.
Old 09-03-08, 06:22 PM
Justleaning
Face of a thousand pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well seeing how your staying at my apartment...err yea I'm going.
Old 09-03-08, 06:29 PM
Pablo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did it last year... Wasn't well marked, and riding through Queens was boring. It definitely is a fun ride though.
Old 09-03-08, 06:59 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be there...My first century, hopefully I can finish okay. Sounds like I picked a good one.

I'll be in in an orange jersey on my Felt, and have a robot tattoo on my arm and a pink tattoo on my leg, say hi and keep me company if any of you are around!
Old 09-03-08, 09:51 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm marshaling the 100, I'm thinking of wearing my Bikeforums.net jersey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.