Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NYC Century: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 06:53 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I did the NYC Century today and had a great time! As pcad predicted, there were indeed 10,000+ Freds (ranging from T-Shirt and slippers guy to full pro team kit [minus bike] "poseur"). I did run into a few exceptions, as listed below.

THE BAD
  • I knew things were going to be rough when I spent an hour trying to transfer my SPD cleats to my new Sidis. Turned out to be worth the wait, but I only got four hours of sleep in the process. At least it's better than the ONE hour I got last year!
  • The downfall continued when my right contact literally ripped as I tried to adjust it in my eye. Thus, I couldn't use my new Ryder shades I bought (to replace my lost Oakleys ) and had to stick to my only pair of designer glasses (since my riding glasses finally threw in the towel).
  • Had to change tubes THREE times in the first hour of riding because of slow leaks. I actually took the ten minutes to investigate what was causing the slow leak, missed it and a mechanic at a bike shop I don't particularly like found it.
  • While riding in Queens somewhere, my right cleat FALLS OFF, losing the two screws in the process (though I found my cleat and shim, which was GREAT). The mechanic at the rest stop (which took a WHILE to get to) didn't have the bolts, so he referred me to this HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE bike shop that (amongst everything else it lacked) didn't have them either. Ended up having to ride four miles out of route to another shop, which had them and charged me for them...

THE GOOD
  • Even though I didn't finish the ride in the six hours I planned to do it in, I did finish in about eight hours. I think I could have gotten a better time had I not had so many mechanical issues in the beginning, though I don't think I would have hit the six hour mark either.*
  • I was SMOOTH SAILING COMFORTABLE for the whole ride! I bought a pair of shop-printed (Team Ridgewood Cycle) Giordana shorts, Sidi Zeta/Bullet II MTB shoes, Pearl Izumi Attack socks and gloves. I had VERY VERY few issues with comfort thorughout the entire ride; in fact, I could have done more after the 100 miles and still felt great!
  • I went a LOT faster than I did the first year, but my legs don't feel anywhere nearly as toasted as last year, and I didn't sweat that much, though my fluid intake was VERY high. I noticed that (a) Sugary stuff (i.e. Gatorade) is addicting, but doesn't do much in terms of performance and recovery, (b)water does NOTHING for me and (c)Hammer HEED might taste like sh*t, but it works!
  • There was this one dude from Drexel Cycling that had a pretty crazy acceleration, and you would never see it coming either. It was tough keeping up with him, but I did somehow. Though he would destroy me on the climbs if they were longer.
  • Flushing is 90% CHINESE people (the other 10% are Asian minorities). This is by no means a bad thing, but it was just an interesting observation.
  • There were three dudes on unicycles, two of which did 100 miles. Rock on.

* Though this ride was a fun ride, last year's goal was to finish 100 miles and this year's goal was to finish it in six hours. I wanted to not use any rest stops, but the stupid mechanicals made them a moot point after a while. I did, however, limit my time in them by A LOT. I know now, without a doubt, that I'm a better cyclist now.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 09-07-08, 06:59 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Until you can ride 100 miles at a Fred pace through the five boroughs, I suggest you put off your Prospect Park Racing debut Crassic. But it does sound like a pretty convoluted adventure.
Old 09-07-08, 07:06 PM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
Until you can ride 100 miles at a Fred pace through the five boroughs, I suggest you put off your Prospect Park Racing debut Crassic. But it does sound like a pretty convoluted adventure.
But I thought the core element of true Zen was to get shelled a few times and let it sink in...

Regardless, I'm working on my debut. It's going to be epic. You might even take a rest day to watch!

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 09-07-08, 07:13 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Five guys started on unicycles, I was right up in the first starting group, saw them run off. Only 2 finished???
Old 09-07-08, 07:16 PM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkauffman
Five guys started on unicycles, I was right up in the first starting group, saw them run off. Only 2 finished???
Are you serious?? I really wanted to see at least one of them finish; 100 miles on a unicycle is NO joke.

To add to the variety, there were two people (that I saw) on 'bents and at least one guy on a trike. I was waiting for the dude in the penny-farther, but that never came

For the record, I was the guy with the yellow Trek 1000 and the Ridgewood Cycle shorts.

Code:
Old 09-07-08, 07:19 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 74 Times in 19 Posts
I wanted to participate but ended up riding the mountains northeast of Los Angeles yesterday. I thought I'd made the right choice until I read your post. Did you get any rain from Hannah?
Old 09-07-08, 07:20 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I don't know what kind of whacko rides 100 miles on a Unicycle, but I wish he'd post here with pics.
Old 09-07-08, 07:21 PM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We got tons the day before. Today was really nice.

I do wish I could ride California's mountains, though. Maybe I could become a better climber in five years instead of ten that way

Code:
Old 09-07-08, 07:22 PM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
I don't know what kind of whacko rides 100 miles on a Unicycle, but I wish he'd post here with pics.
I know that at least one guy did 75+, unless he walked some of it.

Code:
Old 09-07-08, 07:45 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I've heard of unicycle riders starting earlier due to slower average speeds, don't know how common that is.

They recently had a multi-day "Ride the Lobster" race up in Nova Scotia, google it for more information. One of the newer developments in long-distance unicycling is geared unicycles, and I think the teams winning the RTL were using geared 36" unicycles.

Check out https://www.unicycling.org/- very handy site if you're interested in unicycling.
Old 09-07-08, 07:48 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCrassic
Are you serious?? I really wanted to see at least one of them finish; 100 miles on a unicycle is NO joke.

To add to the variety, there were two people (that I saw) on 'bents and at least one guy on a trike. I was waiting for the dude in the penny-farther, but that never came

For the record, I was the guy with the yellow Trek 1000 and the Ridgewood Cycle shorts.
Oh I thought they were all absolutely crazy, I wanted pictures but left my camera in the car on accident. I was on the Specialized Tarmac in Gerolsteiner and the Ohio State jersey. I think I was the only rider there today in Ohio State gear.
Old 09-07-08, 07:54 PM
Hammertoe
A Little Bent

Location: Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job finishing the century...

Interesting about Flushing. That is were my grandmother lived when I was growing up. One hundred ninety something street. I have a lot of memories of pizzas and bagels in that neighborhood...
Old 09-07-08, 08:17 PM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MrCrassic, well done on completing the ride. Sorry you didn't make your time limit but great to see the improvement over the previous year.

Judging by your mechanical issues you should seriously consider getting a team car to follow you next year!

I find that changing anything the night before a long ride is asking for trouble. "Shakedown" earlier. Coulda, shoulda, woulda is easy with 20-20 hindsight.

If flushing really that full of Asians or is that what you tend to notice given yout cited interests?

· Interests
Road bike racing, road cycling, Asian culture, women and food etc.
Old 09-07-08, 08:24 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 546 Times in 428 Posts
Yeah, always check your stuff before the ride. Don't change anything that you can't test before you commit yourself to do 100 miles.

I learned that lesson the easy way this year, changing cleats as well. I bought a pair from the guys that do the computrainer in Brooklyn. I put them on about a half hour before going to my class there. I couldn't clip in at all once in the class. It turns out they were older style Look cleats and I ride on Keo. We quickly swapped them and I got to ride anyway.
Old 09-07-08, 08:29 PM
MadeInItaly
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You live in Crooklyn and you don't know Frruusshiiinngg is all asian?? I'm guessing you are a transplant?
Old 09-07-08, 08:57 PM
NYJayhawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My specialty is unicycle time trials. I've got a very areo unicycle with a carbon wing post and a solid wheel. I wear a speedsuit and a TT helmet. I've spent weeks in the wind tunnel perfecting my position.

You've never suffered until you've gotten into the whole unicycle TT scene.
Old 09-08-08, 04:06 AM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rollin
MrCrassic, well done on completing the ride. Sorry you didn't make your time limit but great to see the improvement over the previous year.

Judging by your mechanical issues you should seriously consider getting a team car to follow you next year!

I find that changing anything the night before a long ride is asking for trouble. "Shakedown" earlier. Coulda, shoulda, woulda is easy with 20-20 hindsight.

If flushing really that full of Asians or is that what you tend to notice given yout cited interests?

· Interests
Road bike racing, road cycling, Asian culture, women and food etc.
No, it really was full of Asian people, interests aside. The bike shop I went to was HARDCORE Chinese (you would know as soon as you walked in).

Code:
Old 09-08-08, 04:07 AM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MadeInItaly
You live in Crooklyn and you don't know Frruusshiiinngg is all asian?? I'm guessing you are a transplant?
I was actually born here, but my family took a break from NYC for 11 years (greatest decision evar).

I've only been to Flushing once before, and I never really noticed it back then (too young).

Code:
Old 09-08-08, 07:44 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed the unicycles, but I passed a roller blader on the approach to Prospect Park. Saw her again at the Kissena rest stop, so I guess she was doing either the 75 or 100 mile.
Old 09-08-08, 07:57 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I marshaled the ride and saw lots and lots of mechanical issues.

I saw and changed lots of standard flats. I think the ride was routed to specifically hit every broken piece of glass in NYC.

I saw a ProRace3 torn wide open. The poor guy used gel packets as a boot, then flatted and assumed the boot failed, but it was a actually a new flat!!! We patched the new flat, rebooted the cut part, and got him going. Not 100 yards down the road, his front tire flats.

I saw a guy snap his chain 12 miles in, and was such a prick about it, that he didn't give me a chance to explain we can reconnect the chain minus a link or two and probably lose only one gear, but easily finish the ride. I hope his walk home is socks was comfortable.

Add in a handful of standard mechanical issues, as well as your typical crashes when you put 6,000+ cyclists in one ride, and it was an interesting day.

The weather was freaking perfect and this ride could be both better routed, and much better marked but for the size of it, it was a good job.
Old 09-08-08, 08:14 AM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^^^

SO freaking true; I was surprised I didn't get any crazy flats or blowouts. I did drop my chain though, but that may have been a derailleur issue.

BTW, who got the mechanic at the Kissena rest stop? He was pretty bad; one lady came to him to ask about why she couldn't shift to the third chainring. Said mechanic found that she needed to shift it twice and then TOLD her that the bike was supposed to work like that! He also referred me to the absolute worst bike shop I've been in in a LONG time.

Code:
Old 09-08-08, 08:16 AM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BTW, I was supposed to marshal, but I've only heard back from TA once. I didn't stress it too much because I ultimately just wanted to ride. Oh well.

Code:
Old 09-08-08, 08:55 AM
jeebusaurousrex

Bikes: Schwinns

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCrassic
I was actually born here, but my family took a break from NYC for 11 years (greatest decision evar).

I've only been to Flushing once before, and I never really noticed it back then (too young).
Flushing has been an enclave for Koreans and Chinese for at least 20 years, where have you been?
Old 09-08-08, 09:04 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 893 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by NYJayhawk
My specialty is unicycle time trials. I've got a very areo unicycle with a carbon wing post and a solid wheel. I wear a speedsuit and a TT helmet. I've spent weeks in the wind tunnel perfecting my position.

You've never suffered until you've gotten into the whole unicycle TT scene.
Pics or it didn't happen.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-08-08, 09:05 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 893 Times in 458 Posts
MrCrassic,

Way to persevere.

+1, on no mechanical changes the night before. However, life does sometimes get in the way ,and you got to do what you got to do.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.