Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Spare ettiquette . . .

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Spare ettiquette . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 07:14 PM
El Pelon
dia por dia

Bikes: hand built fixie, Lightspeed Sienna D/A

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spare ettiquette . . .

I went for a ride this a.m. with a few guys whom I have ridden on occasion over the past couple of seasons. One guy I had never seen before. He was on a fixed with an impressively large ring, and mashed his way through the ride (c. 100 km) w/out getting dropped (or even winded, for that matter).

About 2/3 of the way through, this guy flats his rear. He pulls off, as do I and another rider. The rest go on to the public restrooms and wait. He did not have a spare, a pump, or even know how to fix a flat. So, I change out his tube, reinstall (mercifully he had a quick release on the rear hub), and inflate with a CO2 cartridge.

The dude never thanked me. After the ride, I walked up to him and asked if he could bring a spare tube and a cartridge next week for me. The guy then calls me a "Jew," and drives off.

So, it seems I got to meet an antisemite today, and paid about $6 for the privilege. WTF?
Old 09-07-08, 07:16 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by El Pelon
I went for a ride this a.m. with a few guys whom I have ridden on occasion over the past couple of seasons. One guy I had never seen before. He was on a fixed with an impressively large ring, and mashed his way through the ride (c. 100 km) w/out getting dropped (or even winded, for that matter).

About 2/3 of the way through, this guy flats his rear. He pulls off, as do I and another rider. The rest go on to the public restrooms and wait. He did not have a spare, a pump, or even know how to fix a flat. So, I change out his tube, reinstall (mercifully he had a quick release on the rear hub), and inflate with a CO2 cartridge.

The dude never thanked me. After the ride, I walked up to him and asked if he could bring a spare tube and a cartridge next week for me. The guy then calls me a "Jew," and drives off.

So, it seems I got to meet an antisemite today, and paid about $6 for the privilege. WTF?
1. You did the right thing, and should do it again despite the jack***** response. I mean, I'm not sure I would've asked for a replacement, but his reaction was totally out of line.

2. Karma's a b!tch.
Old 09-07-08, 07:16 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ive changed many a tubes for people using my own tubes and my own CO2. Ive never had anyone offer up replacements.. I guess its just a pay it forward kind of thing.

Calling you a jew, tho.. that made me LOL
Old 09-07-08, 07:20 PM
Szczuldo
What is this demonry?!

Bikes: KHS Aero Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tell people about him next week if he shows up and if he flats have everyone just tell him he should've come prepared, and leave him. Then take the same route back see if you see him walking, then if you find him give him a hand and tell him next time we won't come back.
Old 09-07-08, 07:21 PM
xg43x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont help a fellow rider with expectations of the rider reimbursing you. You do it simply for the sake of helping the rider out. I would not have asked for a tube and co2 cartridge, but thats just me. But his reaction was out of line. Now you know, not to help that guy next time.
Old 09-07-08, 07:23 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I'm thinking maybe you asked for reimbursement just because you were pissed he didn't even thank you? Or do you normally ask for reimbursement...
Old 09-07-08, 07:24 PM
do-well

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never expect to be paid back. I do hope that someone will help me, without expecting to be paid back, when I need the assistance. If I never need the assistance, that means I haven't had a flat. Well worth the $6 if you ask me.
Old 09-07-08, 07:24 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'm thinking maybe you asked for reimbursement just because you were pissed he didn't even thank you? Or do you normally ask for reimbursement...
I keep one of those credit card imprint machines in my jersey pocket just in case.
Old 09-07-08, 07:26 PM
El Pelon
dia por dia

Bikes: hand built fixie, Lightspeed Sienna D/A

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bingo. I have never asked for reimbursement before. Probably shouldn't have this time either . . . . C'est la vie.
Old 09-07-08, 07:26 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I keep one of those credit card imprint machines in my jersey pocket just in case.
A Ti one I hope? Those look heavy.
Old 09-07-08, 07:27 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
A Ti one I hope? Those look heavy.
CF, baby, all the way. I found a nice aerodynamic one that bolts to my TT/Tri bike too. It's actually more aero than not carrying a credit card imprinting machine based on wind tunnel testing.
Old 09-07-08, 07:28 PM
Szczuldo
What is this demonry?!

Bikes: KHS Aero Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Pelon
Bingo. I have never asked for reimbursement before. Probably shouldn't have this time either . . . . C'est la vie.
luckily i've never been put in such a situation, but if it over occured i'll just take their old tube and be fine with it. All of my spares are patched up tubes anyway, have like 6 and as long as I get a tube for each tube I give out, i'm fine.
Old 09-07-08, 07:29 PM
yogi13

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you should give him a nice frame pump next week...through his spokes.
Old 09-07-08, 07:32 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,254 Times in 630 Posts
jews

The dude never thanked me. After the ride, I walked up to him and asked if he could bring a spare tube and a cartridge next week for me. The guy then calls me a "Jew," and drives off

I like Jews.
That is why I carry a small pocket knife.
He would have drove off with a small cut in his tire.

Hammertoe
A Little Bent

Location: Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong asking for a replacement...

Response way over the top and scary...
Gest24

Bikes: K2 ZedX, Leader LD730R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've offered my services countless times. I've even given up my spare and pump at a MTB race to someone who flatted on the first lap and was ahead of me. Its just a karma thing for me.

But I can see where the lack of gratitude would be a ****ty thing. A simple thanks a lot would suffice, but just taking it and going isn't cool at all either.
Pugsly
Ride to Ride

Bikes: Fuji C7 full DA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like on most group rides people are pretty generous. I've never asked anybody to restock my spares, but I have had people replace my CO2 cart, etc, at a later date. I don't ask but it makes some people feel better to resupply.

Same thing like buying someone gatorade, whatever at a convenience store. I've forgotten money once or twice on rides and fellow riders have always helped me out, and I try to pay that forward as well.

That dude was an ass, and karma will get him in the end. Don't sweat it.
Old 09-07-08, 07:33 PM
Lizzylou
Dropped myself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't ask for reimbursement... but I would expect reimbursement to be offered. (Or at the very least, a heart-felt thankyou)
Old 09-07-08, 07:34 PM
mkauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Kharma, can only help you in the long run.
Old 09-07-08, 07:37 PM
Yan 

Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
I laughed too. Just don't help him next time. What a douchb-g.
Old 09-07-08, 07:44 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Liked 319 Times in 198 Posts
Darn bike shorts. Everyone can tell you've had a Bris.
Old 09-07-08, 07:47 PM
sac02
i ride a bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm more evil and vindictive than most here. I would tell the next couple groups I rode with about this guy so he won't get the chance to pull the same stunt again.

If he hadn't insulted you after you helped him, then I would have just said forget about it.

Mac
Old 09-07-08, 08:02 PM
ilvwhtgrls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow what a sob... next time leave his ass.
Old 09-07-08, 08:04 PM
Spreggy
King of the Plukers

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." G.W. Bush
Old 09-07-08, 08:12 PM
GP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Was he still with the group for the last 20 miles? I would have been pissed. What a DB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.