Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek 560EX '87 correct shifter/derailluers ??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 08:00 PM
greenjeans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have what I believe to be a 1987 Trek 560EX (after searching the Vintage Trek site)

According a brochure on the site it has Shimano 600EX components
https://www.vintage-trek.com/images/t...rekCatalog.pdf

However, everything is marked as "shimano 600" with the exception on the rear derailluer which is a Shimao RSX - it's finish matches that of the 600 shifters. none of it was installed on the bike when I picked it up...it was an fixie project that was given up on. (good for me)

I have the brake levers - but no hoods. It has an original front wheel and the rear hoop has been replaced. both have straight guage spokes and would true up pretty good.

Is there any way to tell what cassette/freewheel I'd need for those shifters & derailluer ? I'm guessing 7sp but wanted to make sure before ordering.

Also, any idea where to find replacement hoods for the brake levers ?

Old 09-30-08, 08:32 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My 560, if I can trust my memory, was ALL Shimano 600 stuff. How did you determine the year of your bike? I've never seen that exact paint job/fork combination.
Old 09-30-08, 08:43 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I looked at the catalog you posted. My 560 looked identical to the all white one shown in the catalog, and the equipment listed in the catalog appears to be the equipment that mine had.
Old 09-30-08, 08:54 PM
greenjeans

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm not 100% that it is an '87 560EX....from pouring over the Vintage-trek website, this seems to be the match....Unfortunately, I haven't been able to positively ID from the serial numbers.
The brochure on the site for '87 doesn't show this color, but it lists it as an additional color combo.
It's the only charcoal/black fade I've found.

The site is great: https://www.vintage-trek.com/

Serial numbers: https://www.vintage-trek.com/SerialNumbers.htm

Also, there isn't any guarantee that parts weren't swapped along the way - the rear wheel has been replaced at some point...who knows.

Now, after pouring through the post with the modern components on vintage frames, I'm really at a loss.
I can get a new set of Ultegra / Mavic OpenPros in annodized grey that would mimic the original color and look, but that opens a whole new can of worms.... I'd like to have a newer shifter/derailluer combo..what to do, what to do
Old 09-30-08, 09:12 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
Your paint scheme is listed on the models/years/colors page on the v-t site, and '87 is the only year for that model, so you've ID'd it correctly.

brake hoods - I see those on eBay quite often.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff